Help - My generators broken...

Whitelighter

Visit site
...and I think all Marine Power are interested in is selling me a new one! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It came out for a service as it had stopped charging, though the culprit from an in boat inspection by the service agent was thought to be an electrical connection.

They rang today (after two weeks) to say that the genny was 'uneconomical to repair'. Whn I asked why, the diagnosis was the rotar wotnot which produces the charge had fused with a something on the engine due to a bearing collapsing?

Can anyone shed any light? It is a MASE IS 2500 with the Yanmar L48 engine in it. New replacement is £3000, and I can't beleive that it would cost so much for parts.

I know the description is abit vague, but it is all I understood from the bloke who called me.

Whitelighter

Visit site
352p1.gif

Nat

Visit site
Sounds like a load of tosh to me.Take it to a rewind company such as Clarks 020 7474 7404. or this one 01708 741222 (Romford) I dont know any down your neck of the woods but can give you a few more in East London. Also a good startermotor & alternator repairer should be able to sort you out

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I was recently advised to replace my windlass at a cost of £1,500, because the gearbox was seized, the motor was shot and new parts weren't available. I surprised them by going into their workshop to find that the gearbox was fine and just needed a soak to clean some gunk off, then I phoned the distributor who had plenty of parts in stock and sent them the same day. Total cost £262.

They then tried to charge me £900 labour for fitting it !!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Sounds about right for a repair, parts for most marine gennies are a fortune, you may be able to get it rewound if the rotor and stator are not too badly damaged, I repair quite a few I buy and sell so if you want the scrap out the way pm me. If you give me some details on your set I may be able to help. Will look up your set on web, think its the same as my mates.Cheers.

Nat

Visit site
Snap.
I was told the same about mine & found exactly the same problem all it cost me was a couple of new oil seals & some new grease. The company involved had not even dismantled it & just told me it was siezed solid. Took it apart soaked bearings in brake fluid for a few days washed them off with degreaser, regreased & reassembled, that was 2 years ago & its been spot on ever since.
Nat

Whitelighter

Visit site
Right, a little update. Having zero tachincal nouse, I have reverted to my fall back position of getting Col to ring them.

Apparently, the rotor on the Alternator is knacker, to the extend where they reccommend scrapping it. Parts are quoted at £600, plus £900 labour. But they recklon 6 weeks for the parts, two weeks to do the job etc etc.

Sounds to me like they just don't want to do it. Anyway, Col is going to pick it up on Saturday, with a view to having a look. I can beleive a new alternator costs £600, but £900 labour??????????

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
I would have thought that any half decent backstreet auto electrician would be able to spin the rotor in his little lathe to resurface it,couple of new brushes and hey presto jobs a good un?

Problem however is if the windings are burnt out!

Chill

Visit site
Is it the alternator to charge the start battery?
If so check your on board shore supply battery charger. mine has more than one output..If it has use this to keep the start bettery charged..

Geoff

itsonlymoney

Visit site
I agree with Nat and the others. Should be a doddle to fettle it if taken to the right chappie. £900 to fit a knackered rotor, there avin a larf, its called pricing a job very high cos you cant be arsed doing it. Trouble is when you do that the customer generally accepts the quote and you have to do it anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whitelighter

Visit site
I have no idea Geoff. I think it is the Alternator that provides the 240v power for the boat when using the Genny. It is only a 2kw mx out put genny, but enough to make a cuppa on the hook, which is all I ever really wanted.

compie1

Visit site
Jez,
Take the alternator to a rebuilder/manufacturer of genny's for construction work, they can rebuild it asap at a fraction of the marine cast or get you parts that fit there are always a few in every region!

Whitelighter

Visit site
That type of thing yeah. We have to get the genny back first, and it needs a specific Alternator but it is that sort of out put.

I would have happily paid £500 to have it repaired, probably £1000 if it was done quickly with a service. Why do marine companies offer the worst service at the highest price????

Solitaire

Visit site
Jez, there is a guy based in Botley who trades under the name of "Just Starters and Alternators" he tested our starter motor and found it not lacking - price? Silch! It might be worth contacting him - I'll look out his number tomorrow.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Jez, not all marine companies are a rip off please give some of us some credit please, I know your not happy you may find the genny end is water cooled thats why they are so costly to repair standard machine mart type sets are site outdoor air cooled and are cheap as chips.
But most good marine sets are built and designed to work couped up in a small hot space with little ventilation struggling to draw air in to run, usually next to a pair of 300hp plus monsters which in turn want there fair share to run too.
Hope this explains why you have to dig deep, you could just buy a cheap petrol suitcase set till the banks back in balance.

ccscott49

Visit site
It cost me 2000 squids for a new stator and fitting to genny, (I took it out and put it back), for my fisher panda 4.5 kw, genny, so I dont think it's too bad really!