Having won the America’s cup....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I think your assessment of how much the general press will care about it is a long way off.
If "England" (as they see it) wins they'll all have been fans since birth, just as we Scots all became curling fans when "we" won the women's gold.

Yachting's coming home. Engerla-and!

Ink

Visit site
Would we be tied to that class of boat?
Not easy to find space for the shore facilities adjacent to good sailing water for such beasts.
Absolutely plenty of space and facilities on the Clyde. Big boys were racing up here - and loving it till the money went south.

Halo

Visit site
I thought the cup holders got a large say in the spec of boats to be used. Could smaller but very fast foilers could be an option ? There is very little chance of UK or Italy boats prizing the trophy out of the Kiwis hands.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Absolutely plenty of space and facilities on the Clyde. Big boys were racing up here - and loving it till the money went south.
If the Mozzies do not get the opposition then the cold would. All we need is a Scottish crew . they could line the deck & do a " kilt flash" at the start like the carry on film & the opposition would melt

Ingwe

Visit site
I was slightly surprised that Plymouth are hosting the UK SailGP leg this year so the Ineos team aren't completely Solent centric and from a TV point of view Plymouth / Portland can probably host sailing in large foiling race boats more reliably than the Solent. Ben probably has equal experience in all three venues.

I also wouldn't be shocked that if Ineos win it Oracle might be the next COR.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Wherever it is they need to have a quayside with at least 200 ft of clear space with 2 metres of water at low tide for every boat in the competition. if there are , say, 4 teams in the competition, that is a lot of deep water dock space. Then they need yard areas for cranes & boat cradles , containers & some fairly big sheds for the boats. if a team turns up with 2 boats, that is a lot of work space especially considering the width across the foils

RJJ

Visit site
Does the Solent want or need this? Who benefits? I'm struggling to see how it's good for UK sailors of any kind.

It's already crowded and expensive - both on the water and around the water. Do we want
- 1. A big chunk of Cowes, Southampton or Portsmouth Harbour occupied by syndicate facilities for several years
- 2. An exclusion zone for the period of racing (which will be in July or August, no doubt)
- 3. Thousands of people in the syndicates, the media, the various committees, and VIP guests buying / filling up the limited hotels and rental flats.

It looks to me like a "win" for landowners and, of course, other businesses who will turn a profit by serving the ultra-high-tech end of the sport.

It'll continue the process of making life more expensive and awkward for those of us wanting to potter about or compete at the (somewhat) affordable amateur end, whether XOD, J109, or whatever.

bedouin

Visit site
Wherever it is they need to have a quayside with at least 200 ft of clear space with 2 metres of water at low tide for every boat in the competition. if there are , say, 4 teams in the competition, that is a lot of deep water dock space. Then they need yard areas for cranes & boat cradles , containers & some fairly big sheds for the boats. if a team turns up with 2 boats, that is a lot of work space especially considering the width across the foils
Ah but we make the rules - so we can go back to requiring the challengers to sail from a yard in their own country.