Has anyone tried this type spanner?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I've been working on the plumbing for the yacht and in the finish I've had to make up aluminum spanners to do up the plumbing fittings as well as through hulls. Yesterday I invested $A6 on a shifter on eBay. What do you think: is it going to snap the first time I use it? (They open out to 3 3/4 in. (9.5cm)

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
No but they will eventually end up rounding the nuts that you apply them to as the jaws open slightly and if you are unlucky slip and skin or worse your knuckles.

All those fittings should have standard sizes so conventional spanners should be the way to go.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I have large crescent spanners and there is no way they'll open up for a lot of plumbing fittings and through hull fittings.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I've been working on the plumbing for the yacht and in the finish I've had to make up aluminum spanners to do up the plumbing fittings as well as through hulls. Yesterday I invested $A6 on a shifter on eBay. What do you think: is it going to snap the first time I use it? (They open out to 3 3/4 in. (9.5cm)

View attachment 79903
wel the simple answer to that is --- use it and tell us������

Plum

Visit site

View attachment 79903
That looks good, let us know how it goes. Space to swing most sort of spanners around skin fittings is always a challenge. I made this from a toolmakers clamp into which I can insert a standard 1/2inch square drive extension and ratchet.
view
hmmm, that did not work, click on link below...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PVv4PrHsvtjupc3pOz6o37J0jVvc4uUa/view?usp=drivesdk

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I certainly will let you know how good they are but I won't get them for couple of weeks. (I thought someone here would have already used one)

Many will have, it looks like an adjustable spanner or "shifter" as some call them with thin jaws. I just have a lifelong hatred of them having seen what they can do to innocent nuts by not so innocent nut ( fitters, not worthy of the name) They the adjustable that is tent to be robust and are no more likely to snap than any other spanner.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The larger an adjustable is required to go, the better it works and the less likely it is to slip off or round the nut.

Large adjustables on large nuts are fine provided you're not trying to get them up to more than 100Nm or similar.

Richard

coopec

N/A
Visit site
The larger an adjustable is required to go, the better it works and the less likely it is to slip off or round the nut.

Large adjustables on large nuts are fine provided you're not trying to get them up to more than 100Nm or similar.

Richard

Thanks for that advice. I just checked and installation guide for through hull fittings and they suggest 42Nm torque. Of course fittings to toilets and waste tanks would be less than that.

Thanks

Clive

ffiill

Visit site
Chain wrenches can be effective as can disposable filter fabric wrenches. For spanners that can fit in enclosed limited space removing some of the Jaws outer metal with an angle grinder can work. Likewise removing material from the outer faces of the jaw. Some years ago I needed to access a 14mm nut on which it was impossible to fit a socket and there was no space to move an open ender or ring spanner. Solution was to cut in half a combination spanner and bolt the two half's back together and work it like a crank.

Poignard

Visit site

View attachment 79903

At approx. Stg£3.40, it's hardly the end of the world if it does! :D

bobgoode

Visit site
Used that exact spanner. ... 20 beer tokens from Tool Station in UK.....to tighten the nuts on 1.5 inch skin fittings. Excellent, strong and not your usual wobbly adjustable and the short reach was perfect under the heads sink.

lw395

Visit site
I once hadto use an odd combination of a toolmaker's clamp and a strap wrench, nothing else would get in there.
There are 'crowfoot' spanners available.

Norman_E

Visit site
Those things are very handy if you have to work on domestic waste pipe fittings that are too tight to undo by hand, but don't require massive force, so probaby quite useful for skin fittings.
EDIT: Somebody "borrowed" the old wide opening ajustable that I used to have so for £6 I think I will buy one. The one I lost had its jaws at a right angle to the handle, something akin to a Footprint wrench but with smooth jaws.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
I wouldn't be without a spanner of this type aboard as they will fit into tight spaces that no other adjustable spanner will reach, to undo plumbing fittings . But you are right, they do break easily if real force is applied - I'm now on my third. Best if you can "start" a seized nut with a hammer and chisel before using this tool.

Last edited: