You can always count on OG to do the right thing - after he has tried everything else.

oldgit

Visit site
Returning from a recent cruise , bothered to check T&Ps.
No oil pressure on one engine. :eek:
Spent night wondering just how much an engine rebuild will cost.
Spent following day grovelling around in engine compartment and dismantling dashboard etc.
Swap pressure senders and oil pressure gauges with no real conclusion.
Remove old and fit new lucar terminals to senders. No difference at all.
Check voltages at various bits of loom and compare with readings on good engine.
Check output from sender units, both giving same readings. New Sender £150.00 each.
Chase wiring loom cleaning joints as far as possible, getting oily and with much damage to various body parts.
Buy oil and filter to do possible oil change.

Passing helpful boater asks have I have fiddled with that engine recently................. Err , Yes problem with starter relay.............
Passing helpful boater then comments..... have you tried running a bit of wire directly from sender to gauge.
Gauge instantly starts working again immediatly.

Only takes about 2 hours to run new wire through bowels of boat.
Only real consolation will be in the dim and distant future some poor so and so and will be wondering what the hell the odd bit of unmarked wire is for.
:)

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."
Winston Churchill

:)

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Guess you used a bit of domestic lighting flex from your home toolbox ?

Actually had in the shed a specially ordered 10m bit of wire which had ordered ages ago to sort out something else that had conked out prior to this under the illusion that a new bit of wire would undoubtedly solve the problem.

The fault of course lay somewhere else entirely and the unused bit of wire was simply patiently waiting around looking for a home.
My my isn`t copper expensive these days.

Last edited: