Hampton Court Moorings

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Wanted to stay overnight at HC moorings last Saturday but almost nose to tail with Narrow Boats and no-one around to ask to bank up.

I have just sent the following email to Hampton Court Palace:

I am emailing you as you were helpful to me on a previous occasion relating to the river moorings.

You are probably aware that in recent years there has been a significant increase in the number of Narrow Boats visiting the Thames.
As a result of this influx it is becoming more and more difficult to find free mooring space, particularly as the average narrow boat takes up rougly twice as much space as an average cruiser.

On several weekends recently, I have found the barge walk moorings to be predominantly occupied with NB's and beem unable to moor. The Environment Agency have engaged in a low key attempt to persuade boats to moor up alongside each other but this appears to be meeting with little success.

Is there anything you can do to try and encourage/require boats to raft up alongside each other in busy periods?

I personally don’t mind doing so but it is not uncommon for my requests to do so to be either ignored or, on occasion refused point blank!

Perhaps some prominent notices making it clear that rafting is a condition of mooring in busy periods?

Thanks for listening,

Can I suggest that we all engage in an email campaign sending something similar to the relevant mooring authority whenever we see moorings extensively occupied by single narrowboats in line?

Also, are we cruiser owners as welcoming as we should be when its busy? On the south coast its virtually impossible to stay anywhere outside a marina without rafting.

Brayman

Visit site
Are the NB's paying to moor there? Last time I was there I got a night for free and paid for the second night, does the warden still go round and collect or was that a short lived thing full of promise?

NealB

Visit site
Re: rafting

During decades of coastal cruising around most UK waters, I've always assumed that rafting -up is the norm, where mooring space is limited.

Surely rafting up is an ancient maritime tradition?

On what grounds could anyone reasonably refuse a request (assuming: I handle my boat competently, I use my own shore lines, I ensure my boat is well fendered, I behave respectfully, etc)?

Do I need to change my assumptions when on the Thames?

bradtarga34

Visit site
Hi Tone,

We went to stay there on Thursday night and was suprised to see all the moorings taken up with predominantly narrow boats! Managed to get on their for a few hours yesterday afternoon after going for a blast down the tidal Thames, but agree with your sentiments and a great idea about your e-mail. If you can let me know the e-mail address I'll send one s well.

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
During decades of coastal cruising around most UK waters, I've always assumed that rafting -up is the norm, where mooring space is limited.

Surely rafting up is an ancient maritime tradition?

On what grounds could anyone reasonably refuse a request (assuming: I handle my boat competently, I use my own shore lines, I ensure my boat is well fendered, I behave respectfully, etc)?

Do I need to change my assumptions when on the Thames?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! regular users of the Thames in real boats will not only allow you to moor alongside, they will actually call you in. Unfortunately NBs do not adhere to any 'customs' perhaps because no nautical knowledge is required on a canal. You will even see them flying white ensigns, union flags and blues alongside their wheelbarrows while travelling along the river on the wrong side, coming upstream and taking the high arches despite craft coming down with the stream who can only use the highest arch. I genuinely believe this is not deliberate just a total lack of understanding of the rules.

pheran

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Yes! regular users of the Thames in real boats will not only allow you to moor alongside, they will actually call you in.

[/ QUOTE ] That has certainly been my experience (and practice, I hasten to add!) But why do you nearly always see rafted boats pointing the same way? Unless there are current or weather conditions to be taken into account, it makes more sense and affords more privacy if you moor nose to tail like wot we often do sur le continent

pheran

Visit site

River current? Insignificant in many locations and normal circumstances. Its strange that one can often see individual boats moored stern to what little current there might be, but rarely when rafted. I think it probable that people just don't think about it.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Received a reply from Hampton Court. Very helpful and appreciate the problem.
They have increased the overnight charge to £10 for boats over 60 feet and hope that might help persuade them to tie up next to each other. Will also consult with owners when doing the rounds and see if anything else can be done.

Brayman

Visit site
Re: Hampton Court Moorings

That's a constructive response. I found the warden very sensible when I chatted to him a year or so back. It's good to hear they not only appreciate the problem of the popular mooring but are willing to investigate and try to improve things. EA - are you listening?