Grek entry fee

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Anyone using the Vessel must be either a co owner (shown on the ships papers, and DEKPA). Other official users must be recorded as such on the DEKPA.

I added my sons name to the DEKPA this year as the only other one who will regularly use the boat. Just as well, as I had to get him to rescue the boat from Kythnos following my argument with the Anchor Winch. They are especially looking out for illegal charters as others have said. We know of one where the owner was fined €40K - It was very borderline chartering - a long standing friend who contributed money for unspecified costs. So any use must be formal and only very direct specified running costs can be paid for.

Worth noting that the Kythnos Harbour Master warned my son about getting involved in anyway with the Port Police - but to leave as fast as possible!

Port Police will be "interested" in any boat where an accident has taken place, as the local Law officer will be brought into it to decide if "Criminal Negligence " has taken place.... Don't involve Port Police in anything you don't have to.

I had a broken anchor windless in Poros last week and went side too the finger pontoon , the port authority man said I had to go to the Port police. And tell them I was in this position ,as people on here will know I lived in Poros for 10 years so know the police personaly, so my friend the Port policewoman said IF I REPORTED A PROBLEM WITH THE BOAT. she had to notify the British embassy and get the boat impounded then a survey of the repair before I could leave.
So do not report anything to the Port Police ,if I didn't know her ,I would have been in trouble.k

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I had a broken anchor windless in Poros last week and went side too the finger pontoon , the port authority man said I had to go to the Port police. And tell them I was in this position ,as people on here will know I lived in Poros for 10 years so know the police personaly, so my friend the Port policewoman said IF I REPORTED A PROBLEM WITH THE BOAT. she had to notify the British embassy and get the boat impounded then a survey of the repair before I could leave.
So do not report anything to the Port Police ,if I didn't know her ,I would have been in trouble.k

And quite right too. How can you be sailing a boat with a faulty anchor winch - most un-seaman like!:disgust:

Just shows you why you should avoid at all costs..... No VHF calls either!

alexsailor

Visit site
What is than PP for? Checking documents? Well one thing is true: they have such a lovely PP female officers... See no problem getting handcuffed ?

GTom

Visit site
What is than PP for?

provides "employment" on the countryside of a broken state?

To be fair, there are many shady characters around the water, "goods" and "people" get "imported" from various illegal sources, these don't supposed to receive a lenient treatment. However, tourists feeding the country don't supposed to belong this bracket.

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
The Port Police at Vathy, Ithaka, have arrested at least 7 locals for riding motorbikes/scooters, without a licence in the harbour area, their powers extend further than most people think.

Tony Cross

Visit site
provides "employment" on the countryside of a broken state?

To be fair, there are many shady characters around the water, "goods" and "people" get "imported" from various illegal sources, these don't supposed to receive a lenient treatment. However, tourists feeding the country don't supposed to belong this bracket.

The suggestion that the port police target tourists and ignore Greeks is laughable. Every week I hear of another Greek business that's been slapped with a stiff fine for one infringement or another. One of the main tavernas on one of the main beaches here was forced to close for a week on two separate occasions earlier this year for tax evasion issues. Greeks are hit harder than the tourists, or the sailors.....

GTom

Visit site
The suggestion that the port police target tourists and ignore Greeks is laughable. Every week I hear of another Greek business that's been slapped with a stiff fine for one infringement or another. One of the main tavernas on one of the main beaches here was forced to close for a week on two separate occasions earlier this year for tax evasion issues. Greeks are hit harder than the tourists, or the sailors.....

I believe you, I don't live there full time. All I see is some things like flying a drone and diving are overregulated. Not saying though that other countries like Turkey cannot be worse...

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site

Agree, Greeks are targeted more than tourists. Seen two examples this week of Coast guard work, they left tourist boats out. I can understand that, the two small towns live of yachties. No other income. They targeted SMALL Greek boats. They NEVER board the big Greek tax evaders.

Makes me think of the old days. Long time ago I drove a Citroen 2cv, was halted a lot of times by the road police. Treated like dirt. After an accident with the small car I changed to Mercedes. In those days the safest car. Never was halted again. Mind, that was old Belgium.

Last edited:

wwalsh

Visit site
Any money changing hands between guests and owner would be a commercial activity. The current law even prohibits advertising a yacht in greece for charter without a greek charter license. Even with just the advertisement the coastguard can seize the yacht and a massive fine would need to be paid to release the yacht.

In order for a non Greek flag yacht to charter, the yacht would not only have the foreign flag charter license but also the Greek flag inspection too (issuance of safety certificate for foreign flag yacht by one of the classification societies approved for greek flag yachts). To pass the Greek flag inspection the yacht must also be provided with fire and safety equipment the same as a Greek flag yacht. The owner of the foreign flag yacht as individual or company would have to basically set up a branch office in greece in order to pay the vat on the charters to greece. the owner may also have to register and pay social security. finally the yacht must be registered on the greek online database of charter yachts.

There are many yachts that achieved all that. With current regulations not only must the charter activity be serious with enough revenue to cover the costs for all the above and make a profit. But it is also worth considering to open a greek charter company NEPA and flag Greek unless there is a major reason to remain foreign flag.