Greece Marina Fees & General Fees In the Med

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I posted the following on another thread today and just repeating here in case it's of interest.

"I got a price for renewing my annual contract in Setur Kuşadası today - my current contract expires early May. I won't bore anyone with the Turkish Lira prices so in Euro my mooring fee has increased by exactly 50%. With 25% discount the new rate for my 10.4M x 4.45M powercat is €5,250. The discount is 2% per year subject to a max of 25% - I've had a boat there for 20 years. Without the discount the full price is €7,020. Don't let anyone tell you Türkiye is cheap.
By the way that price is only valid if I sign up and pay within the next 15 days. They are increasing the prices every month in line with Turkish inflation rates so God only knows what it will be in May."
Setur are an insurance company as well?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi everyone.

Im looking for some advice about the fees for marinas in Greece. We have been looking at Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42.2 in Greece for me and my partner. I have been looking on navily for local marinas but not all the websites have fees listed.

Our plan is to eventually buy one already in the med (Currently looking at Greece) and then spend several months over there then come back to the UK (Rinse and repeat hopefully). We would need to moor it for winter. While staying on her I anticipate anchoring but I can see the first few weeks/months being spent in marinas until we are comfortable. Trying to work out rough budgets that we would need.

Im not new to sailing and sail in the UK when I can but it's on other people's boats, therefore, don't deal with the mooring fees here only my dinghies which are next to nothing a year.

Any recommendations for marinas or fees would be appreciated. Also nearby too.

The one we are interested in is near Athens.
You have 2 choices. Buy a boat with EU VAT already on it, or a Vat free yacht.
Before you make that decision, you need to look a head at what your cruising plans are in the future. The BIG question is will you get a residency Visa so that you can stay longer than 90 days. With a residency Visa will go RESIDENCY. Now you will 100% have to have an EU Vat paid yacht to even keep it in the EU for a day. Greece is very hot on this.
If you are not concerned with any residency issue then a VAT NOT paid yacht is a good option - you can use Temporary Admission (TA) to bring it in for 18 months at a time.
If its Vat paid - check that you have all the documentation needed to by classed as "EU Goods" and DONT rely on the broker to tell you - they a normally liars....

You might think of joining the Cruising Association (CA) as there is a huge amount of stuff written up on yachting and tax matters especially with Greece. They also have a harbour and anchorage App - which is extremely useful , possibly more so that Navily , as its problem is the accuracy of entries - and IO am not impressed with its entries in Greece. The CAs "Captains Mate " is also heavily edited to keep it accurate and up to date - this is a major problem with Crowd source info - it ends up to full of irrelevance and misleading info. Several ports in the Aegean are marked safe in certain wind directions. Who ever set them up has obviously not experienced bad wind and swells - and its is therefore in my view unsafe to rely on such entries. Do Check up on the CA - you will get the true details of the mad Greek regulations and not the face book view:mad:. go to www.theca.org.uk and check it out. I always got back most on my sub on discounts arranged with suppliers/marinas etc.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I posted the following on another thread today and just repeating here in case it's of interest.

"I got a price for renewing my annual contract in Setur Kuşadası today - my current contract expires early May. I won't bore anyone with the Turkish Lira prices so in Euro my mooring fee has increased by exactly 50%. With 25% discount the new rate for my 10.4M x 4.45M powercat is €5,250. The discount is 2% per year subject to a max of 25% - I've had a boat there for 20 years. Without the discount the full price is €7,020. Don't let anyone tell you Türkiye is cheap.
By the way that price is only valid if I sign up and pay within the next 15 days. They are increasing the prices every month in line with Turkish inflation rates so God only knows what it will be in May."
Price has gone up another 5% since I posted the above. They're taking the Michael big time.

Carinyo

Visit site

Irish Rover. Yes its gone nuts. Turkey are pricing themselves out of the market at this rate. Much like you my good frinds in Kusadasi just sold thei boat because of the ever increasing fees at the marina. I found sail and cover work there far more expensive than in NZ a well.

Carinyo

Visit site
You have 2 choices. Buy a boat with EU VAT already on it, or a Vat free yacht.
Before you make that decision, you need to look a head at what your cruising plans are in the future. The BIG question is will you get a residency Visa so that you can stay longer than 90 days. With a residency Visa will go RESIDENCY. Now you will 100% have to have an EU Vat paid yacht to even keep it in the EU for a day. Greece is very hot on this.
If you are not concerned with any residency issue then a VAT NOT paid yacht is a good option - you can use Temporary Admission (TA) to bring it in for 18 months at a time.
If its Vat paid - check that you have all the documentation needed to by classed as "EU Goods" and DONT rely on the broker to tell you - they a normally liars....

You might think of joining the Cruising Association (CA) as there is a huge amount of stuff written up on yachting and tax matters especially with Greece. They also have a harbour and anchorage App - which is extremely useful , possibly more so that Navily , as its problem is the accuracy of entries - and IO am not impressed with its entries in Greece. The CAs "Captains Mate " is also heavily edited to keep it accurate and up to date - this is a major problem with Crowd source info - it ends up to full of irrelevance and misleading info. Several ports in the Aegean are marked safe in certain wind directions. Who ever set them up has obviously not experienced bad wind and swells - and its is therefore in my view unsafe to rely on such entries. Do Check up on the CA - you will get the true details of the mad Greek regulations and not the face book view:mad:. go to www.theca.org.uk and check it out. I always got back most on my sub on discounts arranged with suppliers/marinas etc.
Hi Chris, How did you get on in the finish? Im keen to learn what you found out. Cheers, Logan.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Irish Rover. Yes its gone nuts. Turkey are pricing themselves out of the market at this rate. Much like you my good frinds in Kusadasi just sold thei boat because of the ever increasing fees at the marina. I found sail and cover work there far more expensive than in NZ a well.
The good news is my renewal for the coming year is pretty much the same as last year if I convert to Euro. The bad news is the construction in the marina is ongoing, very disruptive and, unlikely to finish this year.

billskip

Visit site
Turkey are pricing themselves out of the market at this rate.
I doubt that, that will only happen anywhere when the customer has a choice,and there is less demand.
People selling their boat does not always mean a loss to the marina.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I think that if you buy a VAT paid boat you won't need a transit log. If it is not VAT paid you are into checking in at every port in Greece. Is this correct Chris?

B&M

Visit site
There is much discussion about whether Vat paid boats need a UTL. When I got mine I was told by the head of customs that I did not need to show it to the port Police. The first port that I went to afterwards, the port police officer demanded that I present it at their office. When I said that I was told by the the senior customs officer that I did not need to do this, he told me that they didn’t know what they were talking about. This is typical of Greece and each port has its own interpretation of the rules.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There is much discussion about whether Vat paid boats need a UTL. When I got mine I was told by the head of customs that I did not need to show it to the port Police. The first port that I went to afterwards, the port police officer demanded that I present it at their office. When I said that I was told by the the senior customs officer that I did not need to do this, he told me that they didn’t know what they were talking about. This is typical of Greece and each port has its own interpretation of the rules.
Ha has - its a shipping Law that requires you to check in and out - namely law 4256...... though that refers to a previous law ..... and that refers to another previous law going back to 1953. Its the European Codified law where this happens unlike UK Law. Its a mess as the customs say that checking in and out is interfering with the right to free circulation ( Vat paid Yachts) . The EU Commission Agree with us, but wont takle the Greeks who just lie about what they do - so the complaint goes back wards and forwards without resolution. I think the Commission finally has got the message, but we are also working on the new Shipping Minister to cancel that law as its utterly pointless and takes up so much of their time - Its been accepted as shuch by them but these things take time.

So definitively - if vat paid and always in Greece - you dont need a TL of any sort. If you have come from say Italy - an error made in the early instructions means that they regard you as Vat paid but you need a UTL. Go to Preveza and they say No Tl Needed. Ask the agent (a girl in Preveza) she will say you do - she makes €300 each time. She does not anymore - but fines have been levied especially in Navpion and Crete for not having one - You must have left greek waters sometime in the last 3 years - therefor you should have a TL - complete bollocks - funnily they got the fine repaid after the CA made complaints... but never admitted fault - case here was that sailing to Crete they went out of Greek waters so lost their VAT Status - which is a load of bollocks.... sailing between 2 EU Ports is specifically exempted! Otherwise EU trade would freeze up!

They are getting there - but I have no boat anymore so loosing touch with whats happening - But it appears to be gradually sorting itself......

Nina Lucia

Visit site
I keep at 35ft in dry storage in Preveza for about 2000 euro a year including 2 launch/haul for spring and autumn sailing.

You will need to pay ETAPI tax for the months you are in the water which jumps over 12m to 120 euro a month (33 euro for me).

Lots of safe free anchorages in the Ionion and many bays are not too deep to anchor line ashore.

Excellent yachting supoort and services in the Ionian and predictable winds so a good place to start out and learn.
I really like that. Which dry storage in Preveza? Thank you

andrewAB

Visit site
I really like that. Which dry storage in Preveza? Thank you
There are 3 yards across the water from Preveza town: Cleopatra (also has wet marina), Ionion Marine and Aktio. These are 20 minutes walk from airport but car is needed to access Preveza Town or Lefkas. The yards do gave some scheduled minibus but I've never used them.

There is also dry storage near Nidri / Vilho bay on Lefkada island.

I'm in Ionion Marine simply because that is where the boat was when I bought it and storage prices were very similar at the time.

Zing

Visit site
I just had a quote for dry storage at Cleopatra as their water berths are full. I won’t quote the price, but it was exploitative and insane. Lefkas also full. Much of Turkey full and not cheap like it was. Russians have fled there as few other countries will have them apparently. The whole marina search is a PITA.

Last edited:

Nina Lucia

Visit site
There are 3 yards across the water from Preveza town: Cleopatra (also has wet marina), Ionion Marine and Aktio. These are 20 minutes walk from airport but car is needed to access Preveza Town or Lefkas. The yards do gave some scheduled minibus but I've never used them.

There is also dry storage near Nidri / Vilho bay on Lefkada island.

I'm in Ionion Marine simply because that is where the boat was when I bought it and storage prices were very similar at the time.
Thank you!

dgadee

Visit site
Ionion is a bit cheaper than the other two, I believe. I am using it now. Cleopatra is expanding in area so price may fall. You need a car, I feel. Possible without but the tunnel is closed to bikes and foot. €20 or so by taxi to Preveza. Over winter hire cars are very cheap.

Lots of concrete went into the tunnel, so the old notion of the two c's may have been at work ("concrete and corruption"). Never seen so much concrete as in Greece.