Greece Marina Fees & General Fees In the Med

dgadee

Visit site
I planned to base myself in Turkey. Glad I didn't. What got me (apart from high prices) was that they charged in Euros. Surely that was a hedge against inflation.

We are on our way back - Tiber canal this winter. Crew, a vegetarian, has had enough of tavernas with Greek salads and pizza as the only thing she can eat. And the dust!

My view is, why is work so expensive to get done? Article in paper the other day said average wage was €900 a month. Yet work in a yard is more expensive than S coast of England.

billskip

Visit site
My view is, why is work so expensive to get done? Article in paper the other day said average wage was €900 a month. Yet work in a yard is more expensive than S coast of England.
25+years ago many liveaboards would go from Greece to winter and have work done in Bodrum. Back then the Internet wasn't in full swing, but today the yards can keep up with charges/costs elsewhere and quote with reasonable confidence that it won't be more economical elsewhere...what the labour rates are is totally irrelevant, the cost of work /services is now an area comparison.

dgadee

Visit site
25+years ago many liveaboards would go from Greece to winter and have work done in Bodrum. Back then the Internet wasn't in full swing, but today the yards can keep up with charges/costs elsewhere and quote with reasonable confidence that it won't be more economical elsewhere...what the labour rates are is totally irrelevant, the cost of work /services is now an area comparison.
And they say that the internet reduces prices.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Inflation is rampant here in Türkiye and prices generally are going up by the hour. Up to this year an ongoing corresponding depreciation of the lira protected foreigners from the affects of inflation. Since early this year the Lira has been stable against all the major currencies so inflation is now biting foreigners. All the marinas are engaged in price gouging and it's not just boat owners who are being screwed - the mechanics, carpenters, painters, sailmakers etc who operate inside the marinas are being hit with huge rent increases and all their other costs are spiralling as well. It's not sustainable and something has to give. I know Turkish boat owners who've moved their boats to Greece and others who are cruising the summer months in Türkiye and putting their boats on the hard in Greece for the winter.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
What do you charge at work?
What the market will bear?
Can you do it yourself or get someone else to do it?

Sometimes a job in the arse-end of nowhere is genuinely worth more than the same job in even the south coast of the UK.

dgadee

Visit site
What do you charge at work?
What the market will bear?
Can you do it yourself or get someone else to do it?

Sometimes a job in the arse-end of nowhere is genuinely worth more than the same job in even the south coast of the UK.
Preveza? Arse-end of nowhere? It is a major yachting centre.

It just ends up that you don't do the work and they lose out. Whether they make more through overpricing tactics is something I would not know.