Greece 2017 (not about tax... just about beer, sunsets...)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
''My plan was to be based in Patras... and make a pilgrimage to Gallipoli for April ''

Good luck with Patras- it's the one place we've been since leaving U.K. that we'd never return to!

Plus ONE ... what a place , if anyone want to visit Patras I would go by road Better still miss it out altogether

RupertW

Visit site
Plus ONE ... what a place , if anyone want to visit Patras I would go by road Better still miss it out altogether

That's funny - we always look forward to Patras. It's the place we can land and get everything sorted within hours at a low cost - even engineering work this time. So laundry, fuel etc etc all in safe hands and a couple of nights able to go out to real Greek places. Of course it's a bit grubby but I have a fondness for it similar to my liking of Plymouth, Ramsgate and Newhaven.

Capital_R

Visit site
That's funny - we always look forward to Patras. It's the place we can land and get everything sorted within hours at a low cost - even engineering work this time. So laundry, fuel etc etc all in safe hands ...

Many thanks..!

That's the kind of facilities we're looking for when selecting a winter base. Plus access back to Norther Europe. Does Arraxos work well? I've only managed to find flights during summer .. but the airport website says year round (they would, wouldn't they!)

steveghoward

Visit site
As I write this, there are 42 days, 22 hours and 29 minutes before arriving in Preveza for the summer. We have plans for cruising the Ionian, but, if last year is anything to go by, will probably end up just on the Sivota, Kioni, Little Vathi triangle.

Trouble is it's such hard work doing nothing that, once settled somewhere, we really cba to move on.

P.S....... 26 minutes now....

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
As I write this, there are 42 days, 22 hours and 29 minutes before arriving in Preveza for the summer. We have plans for cruising the Ionian, but, if last year is anything to go by, will probably end up just on the Sivota, Kioni, Little Vathi triangle.

Trouble is it's such hard work doing nothing that, once settled somewhere, we really cba to move on.

P.S....... 26 minutes now....

We last sailed to Greece from Croatia in 2014. We had a week to explore Corfu and points beyond before we would have to up anchor and return to Croatia. We arrived at Corfu and dropped anchor in Kalami Bay (the location of Lawrence Durrell's house) because we were passing and it looked pretty.

A week later we upped anchor and left. Apart from a taxi-ride into Corfu Town and a sail down to Gouvia to fill with diesel before we started back, that was it. :)

A bit like Lawrence Durrell really.

Richard

Hardmy

Visit site
I am also very much looking forward for the coming season! I will travel to Preveza/Aktio around May 4-5th to prepare the boat but no date yet when we'll launch.

Actually I shouldn't post here, I am neither a liveaboard nor a sailor, but very very fond of the Ionian. I posted a longish report of our last cruising year in the other parish: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?472365-The-Greek-Ionian-cruise-report-with-lots-of-pics

About the plan for the coming year, I am still considering rounding the Peloponnese but because of lack of time we'll maybe give only a try to the gulf of Corinth. Everybody seems to rush through the area, but I also heared that there are nice spots here and there. We'll see.

@ALL, be assured that beers or the Apéro are ready at any time for fellow boaters! Mobo's don't bite ;-)

cynthia

Visit site
Less than three weeks before we arrive in Aktio - hurray! Usual pottering between Corfu and Kephalonia to be enjoyed.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Ionian is almost empty at the moment , other then the odd boat and charter company moving there boats about the place is empty .
Very much enjoying having it for our selfs .

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
The Ionian is almost empty at the moment , other then the odd boat and charter company moving there boats about the place is empty .
Very much enjoying having it for our selfs .

The Aegean has been the same for the last six weeks. I think we've seen half a dozen other yachts in all that time. Enjoying being able to easily see the bottom of almost all the anchorages that we've been to (even Lakki on Leros), the water will soon be clouded up again by all the boat movement.

Palarran

Visit site
Last year we left Greece with the notion of sailing slowly back to England. We got as far as Venice via a very pleasant season cruising through Montenegro and Croatia.

This season ... we are headed back to Greece again, at a equally leisurely pace. We miss the place, we miss the people. Maybe this time we'll establish a permanent base in Corfu, at least until Brexit sees us kicked out.

It would be great to meet up with any of you fellow Philhellenes who happen to be around!

We are heading back the Caribbean at the end of this year. My heart tell's me that I'll regret it for the same reasons, miss the people and the places. So my family gets a three week tour of the Dodocanese then head to Malta, Sardinia, Balearic's, Smir, Madeira, and the Canaries.

For beer, I can go for either Alpha or Mythos, but not Fix. Sunsets - All of them have been fantastic but maybe the Sporades were my favorite. I'll miss the swimming and mountain villages a lot, the food of course, and so much more.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Currently Greece heading next month to Croatia. Any recommendations for marinas to leave my boat during July/August?
Youp
One thing Croatia isn't short off is Marina , there a few Marina around the spit area if your flying from Split , no where is going to be cheap that time of the year .

Pasarell

Visit site
Back into Lefkas yesterday after my 1st week of sailing this area on my new to me boat. Single handed for the moment so very unadventurous. Beautiful to have the area pretty much to myself although first night anchored in Vlicho and found I knew the people on the closest boat. Then the last night in Vathi and I knew the only other boat in the harbour. Back to reality now. Bus to Athens early Friday then flight to China for 2 weeks. Return end of April for another few weeks when CA and Forum burgee will offer an invite for a beer

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Back into Lefkas yesterday after my 1st week of sailing this area on my new to me boat. Single handed for the moment so very unadventurous. Beautiful to have the area pretty much to myself although first night anchored in Vlicho and found I knew the people on the closest boat. Then the last night in Vathi and I knew the only other boat in the harbour. Back to reality now. Bus to Athens early Friday then flight to China for 2 weeks. Return end of April for another few weeks when CA and Forum burgee will offer an invite for a beer

Was I not the Marina visiting friends the other week , sew your boat and give a knock , bike out side but no one in .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We will be pottering around the Ionian in June and July. Expecting lots of beer and sunsets!

Time to potter around the Ionian is now , the islands are empty from boats , plenty places to moor , it's now mid April and still hardly anyone around , sunsets are as good as ever and the weather been good although the next couple of days there a bit of a blow coming in from the North .

truscott

Visit site
Where do you propose to hide from this blow then Vic?

We're heading to Fiskardo and then will explore the island by car.

Will probably head for Vathi on Ithaca after the blow, then Astokos, then Vathi on Meganisi, Levkas town key and then to Preveza to get the Genoa restitched.

Would be nice to cross paths at some point, share a beer and go over your Croatian experiences (we're headed there, but slowly).

PT