Gosport

nightjar

Visit site
After many years in Gosport we have finally abandoned the idea of eating in Gosport its a lost cause. Get the ferry to Portsmouth ( £1.80 return if you are old enough !) and go to Gunwharf Quay where you are spoiled for choice. Brasserie Blanc, Strada and Cafe Rouge usually have special offers or set menus available so not too expensive. The Old Custom House has good beer.

laika

Visit site
There's a few Gosport-related posts in this section if you scan down. Nightjar's thoughts are echoed by many but Gun Wharf is a bit of a trek from Clarence or Hardway if you just want a quick bite/swift pint. Where's your boat?

Sandyman

Visit site
Hello Richard

We live in Goport and I have answered similar questions in the past.

It all depends on what you like & what standards you expect, which of course all dictate the price.

On the Hardway you have the Jolly Roger pub & restaurant. Good beer and A La Carte menue.
We found the food tended to vary in quality which seemed to depend on the duty chef.

You have G's restaurant just along from Royal Clarence Marina. Its situated in the old bakery which was part of Royal Clarence Yard as it was. Very tastefully done up.
We found it really good but v expensive. The owner used to be part of the group 10cc.

If you like Chinese there is the Great Wall above the Chip Shop along the front. Excellent.
If your into Chinese takeaway then just further along from the same chip shop is The Golden Pot.................supurb. As good as any up market sit down Chinese.

The best Indian is the New Bengal on the way out of town on Stoke Road.

As to Pubs, you have the Queens Hotel in Turktown. Old long established real ale pub.

Cant really recommend any of the others. You can get a decent pint in Wetherspoons in the High Steet but dont bother on a Friday or Sat night unless you have body armour lol

Hope that helps.

richardbrennan

Visit site
The Boathouse Cafe in Gosport (Premier) Marina is deservedly popular with the berth holders and well worth a try. I also endorse the remarks about the New Bengal but make sure you book for Friday and Saturday, they are usually turning people away.

Yacht Breeze

Visit site
Gosport Grub

The restaurant in Premier's Gosport Marina has been spectacularly bad for years but I hear reports that things have improved with the new management.

The Great Wall Chinese restaurant, which overlooks the Gosport-Gun Wharf ferry, is excellent but you'll probably need to book as it's very popular.

For honest pub grub the Castle Tavern on Mumby Road by the entrance to Gosport Marina is worth a visit.

After that you struggle. Gosport is not a dining destination so take the ferry to Gun Wharf and choose one of the chain restaurants that line the jetty. Better still visit the Haven Bar and Restaurant at Lymington.

Bon appetite.

Pinnacle

Visit site
It appears Landers is now closed. Not sure for how long........

However, "Mary Mouse", the lightship at Haslar, seems now to have reopened "under new management".

Vanilla

Visit site
I hear that the Lightship is going to be a caf (spelling?) rather than a restaurant and taken over by the same people who run the 'Crews Mess' (hope got name right?) near the ferry. Great shame it seems to be so difficult to make Landers and the Lightship work out business wise. I wish them lots of luck.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
We are based at Haslar and the big issue with the lightship has always been its erratic opening hours. One day its open, the next its closed. Sometimes it serves food sometimes it doesn't. We've given up on it. Over the pat 10 years we give it another try every couple of years and are usually met by silence.

Similarly with Landers, they miss the whole essence of their location. You come off your boat in the afternoon starving, wander in only to be told there is no food until 7.00pm or whenever. A few die hards go in there for a drink in the afternoon / early evening but the rest of us simply pass by. The number of times I've gone in there to try and get food only to be turned away because the kitchen is closed. It doesn't have to be fine dining. Burgers, sandwiches, panini, soup, chips, calamari. What ever can be cooked without a full compliment of staff in the kitchen.

Henry :)

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Just add: I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm not overly impressed with the great wall. They operate an all you can eat menu system which is good but every dish comes out covered in slime of some description. Good Asian food should be all about the ingredients,not about the flavour enhancing slime. Even vegetables come out covered in the damn stuff.

Henry :)

richardbrennan

Visit site
I have to agree with henryf regarding the Great Wall. I have not been for some time but on the last couple of occaisions my son and I had very weird dreams afterwards, I suspect they are, or at least used to be, rather heavy on the MSG!

Yacht Breeze

Visit site
Gosport Marina update

I hear that the restaurant/bar/cafe in Premier's Gosport Marina is now no better than its previous incarnations and is to be avoided. Oh well there's always Gunwharf....or better still, Waitrose.

Other threads that may be of interest