Hasla - 2024 views

scurr

Visit site
I'm drawn to Hasla Marina, got a quote (ouch) and I'm tempted. Only berths are on F, G, H or I. Anyone with experience of the Marina got any views? Comments seem to suggest it's a nicer Marina than Gosport. But again views appreciated.

lustyd

Visit site
We’re at Haslar. We don’t get discounted fuel but everything else is better than next door. Pretty sure I got enough free wine at the bertholders party to make up for the fuel thing.
It’s very friendly, the staff actually engage with their work and check boats are secure, speak to bertholders. They genuinely want to make you a happy customer (I have several stories where they put more effort in than is reasonable).
Believe it or not they proactively move the trollies to where they are needed (Friday car park, Sunday pontoon) so you never have to go hunting.
The lightship is now a great venue for a drink in the sun or a decent meal. The creek is a great venue for a drink in the sun.

If you move, get the rubber snubbers for your lines and PM me for tips on how to tie up. We never hit the pontoon and rarely have a squeak. If you get this wrong it’s not a comfortable place. Definitely less tide than Gosport so tying up is easier.

ashtead

Visit site
We are at Haslar and have been since 2001 . Started life on F now on G. You don’t say length but side of H facing G tends to be for 45ft plus but fairway is wider between h &G than some others. I would suggest you try to find a berth with others of same length so you don’t have stern exposed to damage by others. F is a tighter fairway but for smaller lengths. The actual finger lengths and gaps between fingers vary . If you are lucky enough to choose G then you are closer to washrooms etc . I suspect but don’t know that I pontoon might be more rolly than say F. Try to choose an open berth as easier turn in and we prefer as a yacht to be nose in to wind so pointing to cowes if you like. The staff are very good but I have my worries over boatfolk management and their desire to centralise and hence alienate the local staff many of whom have given years os service. The on-site catering at creek and lightship indifferent but I had heard the catering manager has departed so maybe things will improve but to date the 3rd party caterers appointed by boatfolk really have had no idea as to food or service. The good news many other local eateries plus many supermarkets. It’s less bouncy I suspect than Clarence . As for price probably cheap than hamble but clearly you can find cheaper eg Wicormarine or behind a sill. No lock issues unlike port Solent and less motoring through Portsmouth harbour. There is an active Haslar yacht club plus a few who if not liveabord spend much of summer on board so around to keep eyes open but marina staff good at reporting issues . Wi-Fi is ok on board but does depend on location . Car parking adequate but just rememember to register car plate as boatfolk outsourced to dodgy parking type co so don’t know how many complaints arisen since but any issues tell office -when they did this at Portland it caused complaints and really Haslar had no car parking issues anyway so no doubt part of revenue rating exercise.

lustyd

Visit site
Although the fairway at G/H is wider overall, the pontoons fan out so larger boats are on all pontoons, especially since they extended them outwards.

In terms of choosing a space, certainly tell them your preferences. I've noticed they do try to place similar boats together which can be beneficial.

xcw

Visit site
I've been there since 2003 and highly recommend it. I'm on D pontoon and have no issue with wash/rolling. The staff are great and keep the facilities in good shape. Since the take over by a PE company the focus is clearly on maximising revenue but to be fair they continue to invest in the marina. The only slight downside is that unlike other marina groups they do not have many other marinas close by which you can use 'free' of charge - really only East Cowes (excluding Saturday nights in season) and then nothing until Weymouth and Portland. As mentioned previously the on site catering is poor (although I have not eaten at the Lightship this year), if the catering manager has left as suggested above that must be good news as there is so much potential there. Overall highly recommended.

ashtead

Visit site
If money was no object and we were in new forest say I would choose Lymington yacht haven just for the views if a berth was available but it’s not an easy commute from either Surrey or indeed the east Wight but while we look occasionally at others we seem to invest each year in Haslar . I believe Clarence might be cheaper or say Southsea or other sill type location . If retired fully I might be tempted by Chi marina for the location .

Gixer

Visit site
I popped down to Haslar the other week (hello Lustyd), first time I've ever visited in the daylight and good weather. I was really impressed, both with the facilities and the staff. I got a quote from them and although double what I'm paying now I'm sorely tempted.

I need to research this more as I'm concerned about getting in and out of the entrance to Portsmouth (1GM10) and the wash from passing ferries. Also need to look at how you get lifted out for antifoul, etc.

I spotted two yachts the same as mine in the marina so can't be too bad :)

Keep the reviews coming!

lustyd

Visit site
getting in and out of the entrance to Portsmouth (1GM10)
I used to do it in my Vivacity 20 with a 4hp outboard, it's slow against springs but it's fine. Lifts are either on the boatlift at the marina or Deacons, or you can go to endeavor quay/Port Solent etc. in the harbour. We do Deacons as Force4 is there so it's convenient for all the spares you suddenly need at lift out.

The main down side to the location is the drive to Gosport which adds 25 minutes from the motorway. It's better than it used to be thanks to some new roads, and it certainly saves the long trip down the harbour in a boat (used to be Port Solent).

As we discussed when you came down, it's hard to beat using your boat so in your situation I'd definitely consider staying put for the time being just for convenience, but if you want more destinations to sail to Haslar is hard to beat.

edited - turns out it was a 4HP!

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
Unfortunately the lightship has gone downhill, serving up tiny portions for ridiculous money. Can still get a good feed at the Great Wall or The Castle.

Did complain last time we were in, they put us in a berth that we bottomed out in at the bottom of the tide.

lustyd

Visit site
Unfortunately the lightship has gone downhill, serving up tiny portions for ridiculous money
A matter of perspective. We think it’s great that Gosport has a restaurant serving a higher quality menu at last. Plenty of pile em high sell em cheap places already!

Stemar

Visit site
Pro: You're out in the Solent in 5 minutes
Con: The bloody A32. Getting to Gosport from NW London, we used to reckon that, if we didn't get going by about 3pm on Friday, there was no point in leaving before 7. Same going home, though, of course the M25 carried its share of the blame.

Can still get a good feed at the Great Wall or The Castle.
I haven't been to the Castle for a while, but we had a very good meal in the Great Wall. We had young children with us, and the staff were brilliant with them

doris

Visit site
We’re at Haslar. We don’t get discounted fuel but everything else is better than next door. Pretty sure I got enough free wine at the bertholders party to make up for the fuel thing.
It’s very friendly, the staff actually engage with their work and check boats are secure, speak to bertholders. They genuinely want to make you a happy customer (I have several stories where they put more effort in than is reasonable).
Believe it or not they proactively move the trollies to where they are needed (Friday car park, Sunday pontoon) so you never have to go hunting.
The lightship is now a great venue for a drink in the sun or a decent meal. The creek is a great venue for a drink in the sun.

If you move, get the rubber snubbers for your lines and PM me for tips on how to tie up. We never hit the pontoon and rarely have a squeak. If you get this wrong it’s not a comfortable place. Definitely less tide than Gosport so tying up is easier.
I’m next door and I disagree with most of this post. Price wise there’s no difference but I’m not a fan of BoatFolk or their eateries. The car parking has become an issue and there’s no lift out facility.
Pays your money and takes your choice.

lustyd

Visit site
I’m next door and I disagree with most of this post. Price wise there’s no difference but I’m not a fan of BoatFolk or their eateries. The car parking has become an issue and there’s no lift out facility.
Pays your money and takes your choice.
The car park has been extended and isn’t an issue at all, I’ve never failed to park even before the new system was put in.
There is a lift out facility, you may not like it but it’s there.

ashtead

Visit site
Yes I am currently down afloat at Haslar and looking across fairway from G to H I can see a small Bavaria type of older vintage visiting berth on H next to a Hanse 46 and older Hallberg so they do put little visitors in where they can. The car parking is fine if you register with Jordan in the office just put in by email to him all the cars you or family might use. As for lift out if just for scrub and repaint new anodes etc we use Gosport boatyard who will collect and return for a fee but you have to readjust you lazy jacks after a visit and clean the large boot marks off deck. Otherwise GBY are fine. Beware some yachts won’t fit the boat lift at Haslar -not certain why but so I’m told. Otherwise as said use deacons remembering tidal issues but boatfolk can be slow in doing jobs there which frustrates some. The eateries are indeed poor but might be down to set up-I suspect no decent chef would be prepared to take on a licence to operate individually and boatfolk have outsourced all catering at all their sites to a corporate chain which employs inexperienced staff. The answer clearly is to have an owner operator on a decent lease of length but that’s not boatfolk model as they want all sites under one subcontractor and short term high licence fees. To date since the lady left to join her partner in canaries catering has been poor . Might be ok for a cooked breakfast or a burger but don’t expect more. As for lightship aimed at corporate freebies with large free drinking clients IMHO.

doris

Visit site
The car park has been extended and isn’t an issue at all, I’ve never failed to park even before the new system was put in.
There is a lift out facility, you may not like it but it’s there.
can your crew/guests park ???

lektran

Visit site
Last year you could park two cars free as a berth holder and then three more at 50% parking fees. All done through the berth holder app

Other threads that may be of interest