Golden Globe Race

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Nicely done. On these ships, as I mentioned earlier, the crew always drive the cranes, not the stevedores, so the crane driver had plenty of practice, which probably came in handy.

Now she can have her cup of tea. No milk, no sugar, but plenty of tea, and congee.

Cost of deviation to save life at sea will form a claim on the West of England P&I Club, which the TIAN FU is entered with.

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
What's that about burqas and niqabs...?

31279671907_f416f7a492_z.jpg

On the way home....

46218701911_4290dda3af_z.jpg
Isn’t she allowed on board? She’ll be exhausted by the time the rescue ship reaches it’s destination poor girl.

Last edited:

Kukri

Visit site
That's interesting. Do they then recover their loss from the yacht's insurers?

Legally, there is no basis to do so under English law, because English law does not recognise the concept of "life salvage" - the Maritime Conventions Act states that it is the duty of seamen to save life at sea, and since a salvor must be "a volunteer" rather than being legally bound to help, there is no salvage claim for saving life. English law does not necessarily apply in the South Pacific but the TIAN FU is a Hong Kong ship and the law of Hong Kong is the same on this point.

However, you can sometimes ask nicely. One of "my" ships picked up the crew of a Filipino log carrier that capsized off the coast of Papua New Guinea, three years ago, and rather than claim on our own P&I Club (which happened to be the West of England) I wrote to the Standard P&I Club, for whom I once worked, with which that ship had been "entered", and asked if they would do the decent thing, which they did. It being a small world, I know the owner of the logger socially, which may have helped. On another occasion when I was working for the British outfit whose crest forms my avatar thingy, we deviated a ship for over a thousand miles at high speed to pick up the crew of a US Coast Guard cutter, who had parked their ship much too firmly on a barren reef between New Caledonia and nowhere in particular. We sent the bill to the USCG, and got a nice letter back, thanking us for our efforts which were in the finest traditions of the sea, but no dosh. So I commanded that copies of the letter be framed on the wheelhouse bulkheads of all our ships calling at US ports, and we had no trouble from the USCG for a good long time...

Here's the exact passage from the West of England Rule Book. Other Clubs have similar wordings:

Section 5
Diversion expenses
The net cost to the Member (over and above the expenses that would have been
incurred but for the diversion or delay) of fuel, insurance, wages, stores, provisions
and port charges:-

(a) during a diversion of the insured vessel reasonably undertaken for the purpose of
search and rescue of persons at sea or for the purpose of securing the necessary
treatment ashore of sick or injured persons aboard the insured vessel, or of landing
stowaways, refugees or persons saved at sea or dead bodies; or

(b) while awaiting a substitute for a sick or injured seaman who has been landed
ashore for treatment, if in the opinion of the Managers it was reasonable to
engage such a substitute.

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
Cost of deviation to save life at sea will form a claim on the West of England P&I Club, which the TIAN FU is entered with.

Any rough idea what order of costs could be involved?
Should the organisers of this race be brought in to account?
I am all for good sporting competition but the rules of this race have always seemed to me to be downright daft.

Kukri

Visit site
Any rough idea what order of costs could be involved?
Should the organisers of this race be brought in to account?
I am all for good sporting competition but the rules of this race have always seemed to me to be downright daft.

Might be between ten and twenty thousand dollars, or thereabouts. But as you will gather from my earlier post, it’s not unusual to deviate to pick people up. I had a friend (who incidentally sailed round the world in his Westsail 32 after he retired) who, as Master of offshore supply vessels in the Gulf of Thailand, picked up ten thousand people (this was the era of the Vietnamese “boat people”) and jokingly asked when the RNLI were going to come up with his medal! An extreme case, but the procedures are well established, there is no difference between a single handed yachtswoman and a Syrian refugee in an inflatable dinghy, and, so far as any seaman is concerned, it might be him being picked up next time.

From what I have read here, Susie Goodall was just unlucky; her boat was well prepared and she did all the right things. To have the Monitor safety tube break followed by the series drogue bridle failing was really rotten luck.

Wandering Star

Visit site
From what I have read here, Susie Goodall was just unlucky; her boat was well prepared and she did all the right things. To have the Monitor safety tube break followed by the series drogue bridle failing was really rotten luck.
Somewhere else (possibly in this thread or on the GGC website news feed) it’s also mentioned breakage of the Monitor safety tube? I’ve owned 2 x Monitors over the years as well as other servo pendulum gears but have never been aware of a safety tube? Which tube n the structure is known as the safety tube?

Kukri

Visit site
Somewhere else (possibly in this thread or on the GGC website news feed) it’s also mentioned breakage of the Monitor safety tube? I’ve owned 2 x Monitors over the years as well as other servo pendulum gears but have never been aware of a safety tube? Which tube n the structure is known as the safety tube?

The tube just above the paddle and below the hinge. So called because it is designed to break first before the floating log, container or whatever rips your transom out. It’s in the manual. Might differ with older ones?

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
The tube just above the paddle and below the hinge. So called because it is designed to break first before the floating log, container or whatever rips your transom out. It’s in the manual. Might differ with older ones?
Oh right - thanks for that, I always thought of that as the “safety fuse” which if I’d thought about it is much the same name so I should have worked it out for myyself. I think the term safety fuse is a carry pver from the Aries I’ve used prior to using Monitors.

Kukri

Visit site
Hydrovane it.simple.

We were waiting for that...:rolleyes:

I think it actually depends on the boat, to some extent. My two pennyworth (which I would like comment on!) is that I think a boat that tends to be hard mouthed (like my last one) is better with a Hydrovane because you can trim out the weather helm before latching the gear in, whilst boats (like my present one) which are basically balanced but which need a good hard shove to get them back on course are better with Aries or Monitor. But I’m probably wrong.

Tbh, I think the fact that Goodall was able to go below for a kip whilst still running before 35-40 knots with close reefed mainsail says a LOT for the Monitor gear.