Fuel Doctor.

keithgammon

Visit site
I’ve just encountered fuel problems and been doing some research. I was recommended and had been using ’Fuel Doctor’ additive, but on their MSDS sheet, section 10, it states that it is not suitable for contact with aluminium or alloys containing aluminium. I have aluminium tanks on my boat so will not be using it in future. I thought other boaters might like to be aware of this.

Momac

Visit site
Seems very odd for a fuel additive to be incompatible with metals that are used to make engines.
Thankfully I have not used this product.

John100156

Visit site
I use Marine 16 - but on my last short trip in August (60nm) I also tried their 'Diesel Fuel Complete' which I must say also worked very well.
  • Prevents degradation and the growth of diesel bug
  • Increases Cetane number for easier starting

Lodestone

Visit site
Enzyme Energy (was Soltron) got good reviews in the PBO test breaking down solids in 14 days.
We've used it for 5 years and we've had no problems.

Refueler

Visit site
I use Marine 16 - but on my last short trip in August (60nm) I also tried their 'Diesel Fuel Complete' which I must say also worked very well.
  • Prevents degradation and the growth of diesel bug
  • Increases Cetane number for easier starting

Fuel treatment as such is like a Rope Cutter ..... you have no idea if it works or not .... its when you don't have it you may have consequence.

Refueler

Visit site
Enzyme Energy (was Soltron) got good reviews in the PBO test breaking down solids in 14 days.
We've used it for 5 years and we've had no problems.

EE ... new name I never heard before .... but given that Soltron was in trouble with Startron ... I wondered what happened to them ...

(Note that despite Soltron claims in the past - they were not an industrial volume supplier - so I only know such from yachting use).

Refueler

Visit site
The challenge is I have motor boats ( ie inboard with tanks etc) for 20 years. I have never used an adaptive and also never had an issue.

You are a very lucky boater.

One factor that has a bearing on bug or not - is use of the boat and how long fuel remains in its tanks. If you are using the boat a lot and fuel tanks are not static for long periods - this helps to reduce the problem.

Hurricane

Visit site
The challenge is I have motor boats ( ie inboard with tanks etc) for 20 years. I have never used an adaptive and also never had an issue.
Well - fine - until .....
It did happen to us - the bug manifest itself 100 miles from shore.
Having duplex pre-filters saved the day ( switched filters over whilst under way) but it was a worry.

When I finally got back to home berth, I went through a process of:-
1 - Draining the sludge from the sumps in the tanks.
2 - Treating what fuel was left (about a third) with a very strong mix of Marine 16.
3 - Stripping down all the fuel lines and flushing with Marine 16.
4 - Pumping/circulating the remaining fuel (now with a strong Marine 16 dose) for several hours using an external pump.
5 - Finally refilling with fresh fuel and a dosing it with Marine 16 Complete.
6 - Left over the winter period with the strong Marine 16 / Marine 16 Complete mix

During that process, I had removed the black sludge (bug) from the fuel tank sumps.
I put some of the sludge into a 1 gallon clear bottle and added about 25ml of Marine 16 as a test.
Shook it up and left it overnight.
The result was very encouraging - clear fuel left with some twiggy bits at the bottom.
That test gave me the confidence that the fuel tanks were clear.

We have not had any problems since - but I do treat every delivery with a dose of Marine 16.
Lesson learned.

If you don't use any treatment, I STRONGLY suggest that you do.

Refueler

Visit site
The old advice for Volvo Trucks (Volvo Truck dealer here gave me their leaflet many years ago for this when our truck suffered) ... was to remove all fuel filters ... empty and filter the tank contents.
Dose with 'Volvo Additive' and put back in tank.
Fill the filter bowls with additive and put back.
Start engine ..

After the chat and reading the leaflet - I needed his additive for our truck as we had no additive at that time ourselves - actually we rarely had call for it ..... he found out I was in the additive business ...
Later I heard that they had changed their advice to customers !! Not Volvo - but this local dealer.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I had a severe attack of diesel bug when I first got my boat.

I used Grotamar which was very effective. I did not have to clean out the tanks (almost impossible as access is very poor) or pump out any of the fuel in the tanks.
I did change the primary filter twice during the whole process.

I was pleased how effective it was and how quickly the problem was solved after reading numerous horror stories on this forum.

Hurricane

Visit site
I had a severe attack of diesel bug when I first got my boat.

I used Grotamar which was very effective. I did not have to clean out the tanks (almost impossible as access is very poor) or pump out any of the fuel in the tanks.
I did change the primary filter twice during the whole process.

I was pleased how effective it was and how quickly the problem was solved after reading numerous horror stories on this forum.
As I understand it, Grotamar is very similar to Marine 16.