Fridge woes hopefully solved.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’m not sure if I’ve recounted all of this before on here but a quick recap. We’ve had a few problems with our fridge lately as it’s started to work intermittently. It’s a Frigoboat compressor which is water cooled and that I built into a stainless steel top loading cool box with over two inches of insulation all round. Up to a few years ago it would freeze the whole contents of the fridge if the thermostat was accidentally knocked. Lately it s been ‘unreliable’.

I discovered the thermostat was intermittent and thought that was the problem but shorting out the thermostat connection on the compressor showed that although the compressor was running, the refrigerant wasn’t doing its job all the time. It would work intermittently. Time for a refrigeration engineer. We headed for Le Marin, Martinique where there is a Frigoboat refrigeration dealer. The engineer came onboard and did some tests of pressure s etc and announced that the system had a blockage and the only solution was to replace everything at a cost of several thousand €. They did have a digital thermostat which they sold me for £75. (I’ve since discovered that they’re £12 on Amazon.)

I phoned our original suppliers (Penguin UK in Havant) who couldn’t have been more helpful. They suggested I check the supply as it’s often the cause of faults, and I double checked it and proved it was perfectly ok on load. They then suggested I added an LED to the compressor as it would blink fault codes if there was a problem. LED fitted and no fault codes. They then said that they agreed with the blockage diagnosis and the system needed a filter adding to it. A very reasonable £130 for a filter plus £60 to courier it to St Lucia.

It was sent last Thursday pre-loaded with R134 refrigerant and arrived in St Lucia over the weekend. I paid the agent’s fee to clear customs (and had to open the box in front of a customs officer to show what was inside!) and fitted it yesterday afternoon. Frigoboat have some clever connections that seal as you disconnect them and then open up again internally as you screw them together.
Problem solved and the fridge/freezer is working perfectly again.

So all in all a big chuck up to Penguin UK and Jake in particular who has promptly and patiently answered my emails and solved our fridge problems.

I’ve no connection with the company except as a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
It’s a shame that local practices of panhandling visitors are still rife - the world over. But very good that you were able to resolve the issue sensibly.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I’m not sure if I’ve recounted all of this before on here but a quick recap We’ve had a few problems with our fridge lately. It’s started to work intermittently. It’s a Frigoboat compressor water cooled that I built into a stainless steel top loading cool box with over two inches of insulation all round. Up to a few years ago it would freeze the whole contents of the fridge if the thermostat was accidentally knocked. Lately it s been ‘unreliable’.

I discovered the thermostat was intermittent and thought that was the problem but shorting out the thermostat connection showed that although the compressor was running, the refrigerant wasn’t doing its job. Time for a refrigeration engineer. We headed for Le Marin, Martinique where there is a Frigoboat refrigeration dealer. Mr engineer came onboard and announced that the system had a blockage and the only solution was to replace everything at a cost of several thousand €. They did have a digital thermostat which they sold me for £75. (I’ve since discovered that they’re £12 on Amazon.)

I phoned our original suppliers (Penguin UK in Havant) who couldn’t have been more helpful. They suggested I check the supply as it’s often the cause of faults, and I double checked it and proved it was perfectly ok on load. They then suggested I added an LED to the compressor as it would blink fault codes if there was a problem. LED fitted and no fault codes. They then said that they agreed with the blockage diagnosis and the system needed a filter adding to it. A very reasonable £130 for a filter plus £60 to courier it to St Lucia.

It was sent last Thursday pre-loaded with R134 refrigerant and arrived in St Lucia over the weekend. I paid the agent’s fee to clear customs (and had to open the box in front of a customs officer to show what was inside!) and fitted it yesterday afternoon. Frigoboat have some clever connections that seal as you disconnect them and then open up again internally as you screw them together.
Problem solved and the fridge/freezer is working perfectly again.

So all in all a big chuck up to Penguin UK and Jake in particular who has promptly and patiently answered my emails and solved our fridge problems.

I’ve no connection with the company except as a satisfied customer.
That sounds amazingly good
🤞👍
And good to know for ref ..

Beer cold enough yet?😊

john_morris_uk

I should have said in my first post that Jake of Penguin In UK said it’s a known problem and Frigoboat supply the filter to cure it. Which leads me to wonder why the Frigoboat official dealer in Martinique didn’t offer the solution and have a filter in stock. They had lots of stock of new compressors and evaporators. They also wanted to do away with our water cooled system and fit an air cooled one. Another reason I refused their offer.

Perhaps I should write to the head office of Frigoboat in Italy and tell them about the business practices of their agent in Le Marin, Martinique?

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I can't quite work it out.
What are your thoughts about adding a filter (you don't say replacing) cleared an existing blockage, presumably somewhere else in the circuit?
PS - A thought - It could be that the pressure in the filter is enough to blow the blockage out and then is caught by the filter!

Last edited:

Blueboatman

Visit site
I should have said in my first post that Jake of Penguin In UK said it’s a known problem and Frigoboat supply the filter to cure it. Which leads me to wonder why the Frigoboat official dealer in Martinique didn’t offer the solution and have a filter in stock. They had lots of stock of new compressors and evaporators. They also wanted to do away with our water cooled system and fit an air cooled one. Another reason I refused their offer.

Perhaps I should write to the head office of Frigoboat in Italy and tell them about the business practices of their agent in Le Marin, Martinique?
Funny
My last boat had a frigoboat set up , keel cooled. Purchased in the Bahamas at horrific price with import duties by previous owner to replace the air cooled original non frigoboat , battery munching set up .
Er, enjoy 🍺🍺

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I can't quite work it out.
What are your thoughts about adding a filter (you don't say replacing) cleared an existing blockage, presumably somewhere else in the circuit?
PS - A thought - It could be that the pressure in the filter is enough to blow the blockage out and then is caught by the filter!
I wondered what was causing a blockage and being filtered out in a closed system. Internal corrosion? And if systems have to be "re-gassed" (as I have heard of) is the injected refrigerant filtered on its way in?

john_morris_uk

I understand there are several possibilities re the blockage.
1. Moisture in the refrigerant freezes and partially or completely blocks the orifice in the evaporator. The filter has a desiccant in it that removes water.
2. The oil that is injected in with the refrigerant gets thickened bits in it and blocks the orifice.
3. Some corrosion or other debris is carried round the circuit and blocks the orifice.
For 2. & 3. The filter catches the culprit.

Re the refrigerant and re-gassing. Frigoboat parts come pre-gassed. Their couplings self seal. The filter came with 50 grammes of gas added to it which has been now added to the circuit as soon as I coupled it up in place.

Penguin said that the next stage (if it didn’t start working as soon as the filter was fitted) is to vacuum down the system (thus removing all the R134 refrigerant) and flush with Nitrogen. Their suggestion is to do this three times in the hope that you flush the blockage out. They admitted that the last resort is to bin the whole system and start again. However Jake suggested that adding a filter pre-loaded with R134 refrigerant might do the trick without all the expense of flushing and refilling. He has proved to be right. If my understanding is wrong then my apologies but I’m not a refrigerator engineer and I’m mere trying to recount what I think I was told.

DEC8ADE6-05ED-4A2C-91FE-18ED5A4D9A16.jpeg

And inside with our homemade door to the freezer compartment.

5A59FE36-9272-4F16-AF8A-FCFB002628D7.jpeg

jac

Visit site

I see no downside to that. It is unlikely that you will ever deal with the agent in Le Marin again and there is a very slim chance that Frigoboat will do something about it and prevent the next person from being ripped off.

Daverw

Visit site
What they have supplied is a standard in line filter drier, it’s to remove trapped moisture in the system that causes ice that block the very small capillaries tubes in small systems. Cost about £10 so bit of a mark up but they I understand include sealled connections to allow simple fitting. Just shutting system down for a while let’s the ice melt but without a drier fitted will just re freeze. Other option is removal of gas, full evacuation and recharge, more costly than the solution you’ve completed, so a win

what Jake explained as the full option is correct but not easy to DIY and labour costs for refrigeration engineer makes it often more that replacement of the system, the gas alone is getting costly

john_morris_uk

The biggest problem I can see from your pictures is that you consume instant coffee. I’d give that issue some serious attention too.
Look to the left and you’ll see ground coffee. We had some crew a few months ago who preferred instant. The instant jar hasn’t been opened since he left. However it’s a bit warm for coffee so we’re drinking lots of water and squash.

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
Look to the left and you’ll see ground coffee. We had some crew a few months ago who preferred instant. The instant jar hasn’t been opened since he left. However it’s a bit warm for coffee so we’re drinking lots of water and squash.
May you be forgiven for transporting that pustulent work of the Devil. Say three Hail Marys.

Frank Holden

Visit site
What to say.
I have a similar frigoboat setup in the 'garden shed' on my Sealord.
Died the death of all mortal things in Bueno Aires in 2010.
Replaced.
Sailed for the south... came back a few months later ... long story.
New unit not working .. contacted bloke who fitted it.
Warranty ? 'No warranty on electronics' sez he 'you don't get a warranty on light bulbs do you?'
FMTT
I no longer recall how we resolved the issue but it was resolved.
Still living with the original 'ice box' designed to keep english beer warm in summer.

Wasn't all bad in RG land.
Prior to that had a leak on the plate in the box itself... first repair in Ushuaia about 2007 was a failure. Got a different bloke in to fix it in 2008.
'We could get a new plate from BA but that would take a few months.. or we can make a new one'.
Brilliant.. still have it ... still wondering why you would be a 'fridge engineer in Ushuaia.

Attachments

• IMG_0002_2.jpg
    IMG_0002_2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 26

Beneteau381

Visit site
What they have supplied is a standard in line filter drier, it’s to remove trapped moisture in the system that causes ice that block the very small capillaries tubes in small systems. Cost about £10 so bit of a mark up but they I understand include sealled connections to allow simple fitting. Just shutting system down for a while let’s the ice melt but without a drier fitted will just re freeze. Other option is removal of gas, full evacuation and recharge, more costly than the solution you’ve completed, so a win

what Jake explained as the full option is correct but not easy to DIY and labour costs for refrigeration engineer makes it often more that replacement of the system, the gas alone is getting costly
You have saved me writing up the whole bit 😉 but nailed it. As you say, filters are quite cheap but fitting the quick connects and faffing with filling with gas etc would I suppose excuse the mark up. Ice in the system is one of the causes but only if someone has "opened" the system recently to check or fill. Otherwise its debris and my slight concern would be where has it come from? Its not corrosion, the shstem is sealed and full of an inert gas, so is it dessicant from an existing filter or something more onimous as in worn metal bits from normal wear and tear? The new filter will deal with bits for a while though