For single-handing

doug748

Visit site
I agree with most of the above.

Singlehanding is a broad church though and whilst it fairly easy to take your boat off it's own mooring for a day sail, it is another matter to go blind into a marina on the other side of the channel. For this reason I would favour a compact boat and would not much like a wheel. Having said that, chums of mine gad about in all sorts, up to 50 foot, and they all seem to get around.
Following macd's comment there is a new Contessa 32 available here:
http://www.co32.org/SECTION_Market/MARKET_Boats.aspx
I think most of us would prefer to sail a more battered, cheaper, alternative.

If your chum does look for a Contessa I have some notions on the breed. PM me.

PS
I see the new boat in build has been removed - must be sold, maybe Krusty's mate!

Last edited:

wotayottie

Visit site
Thank you; your point is recognised: but the 20-year-old may well have been refitted to meet a previous owner's requirements, while the tired 15-year-old can be refitted to meet the new owner's requirements for single-handing.

I think there is a lot to recommend this approach. I do not know of a production boat that is designed with single handing in mind so it may well be best to take a boat needing a bit of a refit and do that refit with single handing as the objective.

For northern UK and Scandinavia I would want some sort of cuddy at least - something like a Vancouver Pilot or equivalent. For single handing I would want a deep smallish secure cockpit which rules out almost all the current mass production makers. I would want a hull that was relatively well balanced so not one of the go faster cruiser racer type boats.

pvb

Visit site
For those waters, it would be hard to beat a Scandinavian boat. A bit older than 15 years, but something like a 1990 Hallberg Rassy 312 could be good at around £50K. Bulletproof construction, stable, easy to singlehand, oozes quality.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
A serious request with a purpose:

Based on first-hand experience, which 28-32 footer, built within the last 15 years, would forum members recommend for single-handed coastal- and offshore- cruising in northern British and Scandinavian waters: and why?

I would go for the smaller HRs.
Why? Because they are built to be sailed there.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I would go for the smaller HRs.
Why? Because they are built to be sailed there.

+1
They are built for it and comfortable both below and at sea.
As a oft singlehander I would suggest that a quality environment is that much more important than if you were always sailing with a lively, sociable crew of 6. So the warm woodwork, ample library shelves, easy motion for the single sailor, solid worry-free reputation and well thought out gear, layout and handling under power when tired would be key things to at least consider, irrespective of the initial relatively high purchase price..

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Contessa 32? Steadier on the helm than an AWB. Will look after you in anything.

Sadler 32, More room than the Contessa 32, more headroom that the Contessa 32, Steadier on the helm than an AWB. Will look after you in anything.

And yes, new ones are available, there is a new one in the process of being finished (or it might actually be finished by now)

:D

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Sadler 32, More room than the Contessa 32, more headroom that the Contessa 32, Steadier on the helm than an AWB. Will look after you in anything.

And yes, new ones are available, there is a new one in the process of being finished (or it might actually be finished by now)

Naa, nice try Snooks but it's got to be the real-deal Co32. Better cockpit, encapsulated keel, better looking, better owners-association, and you can buy one new or buy spares and upgrades from the original builder in Lymington who also does a lot of refurbishment work.

But then, I'm in the same position as you - biased because I own one.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I agree very much with ANDY_W but would add that it also depends on what type of sailing it's for; For passage making I'd go for a long keel of fin and skeg for tracking and an easy motion in the sea. For parking in a marina a deep and narrow keel.

My Sadler 29 is perfect in all respects for the kind of coastal, day sailing single handing that I do, has an easy motion, is a good seaboat, fits all the criteria, but is to old. Though probably two thirds of the price of something newer, which will need as much updating anyway.

Shame, she's for sale, too!

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site

Or a 29 has very near as much internal room and the same layout with the added advantage of a transom hung rudder!

;-)

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Really? :D

I've got so much stowage in my cockpit, I have room for a dinghy under the sole, and a whole boot full of stowage in that pert transom, and I don't have a big curvy tiller waving around, taking up the cockpit and cutting peoples legs off ;)

I love my curvy tiller :)

No shortage of cockpit storage in the Co32 and it doesn't have that silly pinched stern.

I would also suggest the Sadler 290, been on one but not sailed it. Really like the 290 - such a shame they are no longer avaiable new.

Last edited:

jamesjermain

Visit site
If you have an autopilot on board any 28-32 footer can be sailed single handed. Without an autopilot you are looking at something with a longish keel and neutral helm even when a bit pressed. Most moderate fin a skeg boats can be balanced out so that the helm can be left for a while - at least long enough to adjust the headsail, take in a reef or go forward to the foredeck briefly. Even on an unmannerly boat you can heave to while you carry out manoeuvres like reefing or changing sail, doing some chart work, cooking or visiting the heads.

Features to look for are sheets lead so that both main and genoa can be reached easily from the helm, ditto reefing lines, good handling ahead and astern and straight running under power for easy close quarters manoeuvring, a main that can be doused quickily, a good anchoring system with an effective windlass, possibly with remote controls, a chart table from where you have a good view of most of the horizon (very difficult to find in boats without a deck saloon or a catamaran). If you want a cutter rig, make sure the staysail is self-tacking. Indeed, you might consider a self-tacking headsail.

In short, it is the combination of features a design has rather than any particular design itself that makes it suitable for singlehanded sailing.

Krusty

Visit site
All contributions so far are valued; becoming a basket of informed opinion and experience well worth mulling over. I'm sure there is more out there to come!

The problem is going to be finding the boat that has all the most important features designed in or feasible as additions/modifications.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Forget boats with big foresails
Forget old dogs like vancouvers ( ok in their day but old hat now& slow)or motor sailors if you want to sail somewhere rather than motor
Bluenote 2 made a good recommendation with the Hanse 290 these have all controls in the cockpit & sail well. Reputed to be an excellent performer even though an older design.excellent heavy weather boats
Being bias i would go for one of i did not have a 311
Have circumnavigated England & channel islands . Cruised biscay, crossed to Holland, all single handed in my 31. Have holiday with family excellent for 2 for long term ok for 4 for 2 weeks even done 6 up
Only problem with short fin keels is that they need constant helm attention
You need to consider handling for marinas etc & sailhandling ease. Forget going on the deck to reef etc not good when SH
There are other designs with smaller jibs & space is a real boon once you have experienced it. A good performer is so much better . You soon get p...d of when others sail past you or you take a long time to do a simple trip. You can only sit there sailing nowhere for so long