flying keel

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
it is not really a keel - it is a counterweight

D

Sure. hence the need for daggerboards. The hull design looks interesting and there looks to be a step just fwd of the keel/weight. They should try venting bubbles under the hull too. That's another not new technology :)

And while I'm at it, why not host the counterweight on a low boom swinging fwd around the mast that way it's never in the water and held by the already strong mast structure thereby saving weight?

Last edited:

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Sure. hence the need for daggerboards. The hull design looks interesting and there looks to be a step just fwd of the keel/weight. They should try venting bubbles under the hull too. That's another not new technology :)

And while I'm at it, why not host the counterweight on a low boom swinging fwd around the mast that way it's never in the water and held by the already strong mast structure thereby saving weight?

It's worth watching the video just for the segment about their entry in the Whitbread race. He says himself it's simply a development of the canting keel. The main problem I can see is that, once the boat heels beyond 10 degrees, the righting moment will start decreasing unless they can find a way of canting the "keel" down quickly. Clever though .

Daydream believer

Visit site
Dylan
You have ruined my perception of you
I had imagined you moored in a tiny yacht up some backwater marvelling & writing at the wonders of nature
Watching the geese & ducks. Watching the sun rise & fall. Watching the tide ebb & flow
Instead it seems you are hunched up in the cabin trolling the internet for heaven knows what
Oh dear!;)

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
anyone remember the international canoe and the sliding seat ?

Why have a keel hinged at the bottom of the hull if you can put the leverage at the most effective point - the outer edge of the hull at the toe rail.

(If Volvo RTW designers want to use this suggestion, then my fees are very reasonable :) )

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Dylan
You have ruined my perception of you
I had imagined you moored in a tiny yacht up some backwater marvelling & writing at the wonders of nature
Watching the geese & ducks. Watching the sun rise & fall. Watching the tide ebb & flow
Instead it seems you are hunched up in the cabin trolling the internet for heaven knows what
Oh dear!;)

on the boat that is exactly what I do

old manual typre-writer, pipe of st Bruno, swinging oil lamp, telescope for watching birds

but when at home I am a working hack and copywriter

sorry to disappoint you

I would love to spend allmy time doing KTL

it is not much of a cash generator and does not go very far when it comes to university fees

Dylan

Last edited:

sighmoon

Visit site
When NZ won the Americas cup and moved to the K class, there was speculation in Yachts and Yachting about how their monohull could hope to beat a cat, and the drawings were similar - except there were two keels, so the leeward one was down, the windward one was above the water.

basil421

Visit site
The canting keel as used on open 60's and the like will produce more righting moment as the angle of heal increases.
In the Vendee Globe there is a maximum angle to which it can be canted within the rules, presumably for this reason.

This flying keel will do the opposite. It seems to me that this system will render a boat inherently unstable. I don't think a single handed skipper would get a good night's sleep with it canted at 80 deg.

dunedin

Visit site
It's an interesting idea, but there is another slant on this which is perhaps longer term more promising.

As Uffa Fox apparently said, weight is only of use in a road roller. So another innovator has reversed this idea and has a foil which slides out (bit like the Canoe seat referred to above but lower) - but to leeward. As speed increases this creates lift - so generates righting moment and lift, and avoids dragging heavy weights around (needs much lighter ballast bulb for emergency and before gained speed)

Daydream believer

Visit site
It's an interesting idea, but there is another slant on this which is perhaps longer term more promising.

As Uffa Fox apparently said, weight is only of use in a road roller. So another innovator has reversed this idea and has a foil which slides out (bit like the Canoe seat referred to above but lower) - but to leeward. As speed increases this creates lift - so generates righting moment and lift, and avoids dragging heavy weights around (needs much lighter ballast bulb for emergency and before gained speed)
Must be really dodgy because as we all know it is easy to stall the boat & virtually stop
A foil would not help in this situation
Re the swing keel i would expect that this is not quite as light as people think
To retain stability if the boat suddenly tacked the boat needs water ballast to keep it upright with the keel out the wrong side
Ie one of the RTW sailors lost his keel but managed to sail home because of the water ballast

jwilson

Visit site

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
It's just a canting keel. And the "world's fastest sailboat" bit is a joke. I think even a tiny Int Moth might be about as fast, if not faster. See http://www.adriaan.com/arthurs-column/the-future-of-sailing-from-the-moth-worlds/

this is a prototype for large long distance yacht designed for ocean and rtw records

and this keel is rather different in that it is not supposed to be in the water

it is not really a keel at all

so not as simple as you might think it is

the bow down idea is also radically different

Dylan