Fleming 58 video

burgundyben

Visit site
The first Flemming to carry the Ozmaiden name was a 55' built in 1991 and delivered to the owner in early 1992. That summer, she departed Hamble Point, on a cruise, with the owner,Tony Flemming himself and me as paid crew, plus a couple of others. Up the channel, through the Dutch Canals, through the Keil canal, up the Skagerak, to not far short of Oslo. I lived on board, for the summer, looking after the boat. Come late summer, we did a similar return trip. I recall I was away for 4 months in total. It was a really fab time, living on a really fab boat.

Owners wife was Australian, they spent much time there and summer in Norway, seeing that vid is filmed in Sydney, I guess that must still be him.

EricJ

Visit site
The first Flemming to carry the Ozmaiden name was a 55' built in 1991 and delivered to the owner in early 1992. That summer, she departed Hamble Point, on a cruise, with the owner,Tony Flemming himself and me as paid crew, plus a couple of others. Up the channel, through the Dutch Canals, through the Keil canal, up the Skagerak, to not far short of Oslo. I lived on board, for the summer, looking after the boat. Come late summer, we did a similar return trip. I recall I was away for 4 months in total. It was a really fab time, living on a really fab boat.

Owners wife was Australian, they spent much time there and summer in Norway, seeing that vid is filmed in Sydney, I guess that must still be him.

That must have been a fantastic experience. Did you go via the canals all the way up north to the Waddenzee? It is a big boat for that route.

It is quite heavy for its size at 40 tonnes min weight. I guess there is no resin infusion applied here.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I've already seen that vid and had the chance to inspect the 58 at SIBS 2 years ago. The engineering and build quality is certainly second to none and if I had £3m lying around, the F58 would be right at the top of my list. One thing to note is that, measured the European way from pulpit to back of bathing platform, this is really a 65ft boat and it feels like one on board which goes some way to justifying the price

Now I just need to sell my mother in law and a kidney ..........................;)

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I've already seen that vid and had the chance to inspect the 58 at SIBS 2 years ago. The engineering and build quality is certainly second to none and if I had £3m lying around, the F58 would be right at the top of my list. One thing to note is that, measured the European way from pulpit to back of bathing platform, this is really a 65ft boat and it feels like one on board which goes some way to justifying the price

Now I just need to sell my mother in law and a kidney ..........................;)
The quality of engineering and systems looks first class, but I could not live with such a traditional interior, nor the 10 knots comfortable cruise speed.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The quality of engineering and systems looks first class, but I could not live with such a traditional interior, nor the 10 knots comfortable cruise speed.

Actually the 58 we saw at SIBS had a more modern interior than the one in the video so I guess you tell Fleming what kind of look you want. Yup it is fundamentally a displacement boat that will pick up its skirts and get close to 20kts if you really need to but at that speed its using far more fuel than the equivalent planing boat. Its a boat for going long distances at slow speed in comfort and when you get to my age you might understand why that has a certain attraction;)

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Actually the 58 we saw at SIBS had a more modern interior than the one in the video so I guess you tell Fleming what kind of look you want. Yup it is fundamentally a displacement boat that will pick up its skirts and get close to 20kts if you really need to but at that speed its using far more fuel than the equivalent planing boat. Its a boat for going long distances at slow speed in comfort and when you get to my age you might understand why that has a certain attraction;)
Haha. Well having gone to the dark side for a few years 8-9 knots is OK, but for me, when covering relatively long distances it isn't fast enough. Before that I used to cruise at around 28- 30 knots all the time depending on which version of Magnum I was in. Now, 20 knots is just perfect as I can easily cover 200NM in a day and still go out for dinner when I arrive.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Haha. Well having gone to the dark side for a few years 8-9 knots is OK, but for me, when covering relatively long distances it isn't fast enough. Before that I used to cruise at around 28- 30 knots all the time depending on which version of Magnum I was in. Now, 20 knots is just perfect as I can easily cover 200NM in a day and still go out for dinner when I arrive.

Of course! I'd forgotten that you'd had a yacht too. No regrets coming back to a proper boat?

EricJ

Visit site
I find it remarkable that there are so few brands that combine a semi-displacement hull with modern looks, such as the Magellano range. Engineering and external looks of the Fleming are great but for that money there are a lots of options with more space inside, modern interiors etc.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I find it remarkable that there are so few brands that combine a semi-displacement hull with modern looks, such as the Magellano range. Engineering and external looks of the Fleming are great but for that money there are a lots of options with more space inside, modern interiors etc.

Yes my hobby horse too. Azimut have done extremely well with their take on a modern trawler yacht with the Magellano range and so have Beneteau with their Swift range. Other manufacturers like Absolute and Cranchi are also giving it a go. Yet mainstream British manufacturers persist with their same old, same old gin palace designs seemingly oblivious to the fact that there's a whole different market out there. So yes I agree with you; many buyers are looking for boats that are comfortable at displacement speeds for extended cruising but are capable of speeds in the 15-20kt range when required, like a traditional trawler yacht, but want them in a much more modern style

EricJ

Visit site
Yes my hobby horse too. Azimut have done extremely well with their take on a modern trawler yacht with the Magellano range and so have Beneteau with their Swift range. Other manufacturers like Absolute and Cranchi are also giving it a go. Yet mainstream British manufacturers persist with their same old, same old gin palace designs seemingly oblivious to the fact that there's a whole different market out there. So yes I agree with you; many buyers are looking for boats that are comfortable at displacement speeds for extended cruising but are capable of speeds in the 15-20kt range when required, like a traditional trawler yacht, but want them in a much more modern style
Fully agree. The real advantage will be the better ride at 8-14 knots approx. I vaguely recall a thread on here a few years ago when MBY tested the Magellano 43 or 50. The video showed a very steady ride in a moderate sea. Planing hull would be a different story.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Fully agree. The real advantage will be the better ride at 8-14 knots approx. I vaguely recall a thread on here a few years ago when MBY tested the Magellano 43 or 50. The video showed a very steady ride in a moderate sea. Planing hull would be a different story.

I think the advantages would only be realised by those who cover serious distances month in month out. A modern planing boat with hydraulic stabilisers is still pretty awesome at 10-14 knots although 20 knots is the sweet spot for me.

EricJ

Visit site
I think the advantages would only be realised by those who cover serious distances month in month out. A modern planing boat with hydraulic stabilisers is still pretty awesome at 10-14 knots although 20 knots is the sweet spot for me.
Good point. fins could be installed on a 50 footer, but costs would be too high on a 40 footer. May be this will change in the coming years. Did you have any stabilization on your P43?

MedMilo

Visit site

I have a Sq 65 with the curved fin stabs and spend a lot of time at around 10 knots - it's very good in a beamy sea but head to wind it can still slam a bit and I too would love to see the main UK boat builders have a proper go at doing a modern version of a trawler style with a fine entry and some kind of keel. For me its not just about the SD hull shape but also about wide side decks with high bulwarks, raised anchor pulpit, raised pilot house with excellent visibility etc etc. But also modern interior and decent cabin arrangement (the Fleming 58 having just 3 cabins, none of which is full midships in a 65 foot boat, is hard to justify IMHO) and all the leading edge technology that the UK builders have embraced very well.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Good point. fins could be installed on a 50 footer, but costs would be too high on a 40 footer. May be this will change in the coming years. Did you have any stabilization on your P43?

Yes a Seakeeper gyro. Great at anchor but less effective than fins under way.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

the Fleming 58 having just 3 cabins, none of which is full midships in a 65 foot boat, is hard to justify IMHO) and all the leading edge technology that the UK builders have embraced very well.
Actually the Fleming 58 is available with a full beam midships master cabin. Thats its main USP over the Fleming 55

MapisM

Visit site
I have a Sq 65 with the curved fin stabs and spend a lot of time at around 10 knots - it's very good in a beamy sea but head to wind it can still slam a bit
How refreshing, to hear something I've always said recognized from the owner of a P boat - and a rather substantial one! :)
It's actually very simple, the way I see it:
Can stabilized P boats offer a decent ride at D speed? Of course.
Can they hold a candle to D/SD hulls in terms of overall comfort? No way.

Btw, I also agree with your views on the Fleming 58.
There's no denying that she's a well built boat, but nowhere near an half acceptable value for money.
Besides (in reply to Deleted User), I disagree that she feels like a 65' boat: imho, her interiors don't feel as spacious as in your F630 - which in fact is longer and wider.
Not to mention the e/r and lazarette, unacceptably cramped for that type of boat.
All imho, as always.