Flashy Tridata

tadpole

Visit site
The depth display on our 1991 Tridata just flashes 0.0. The log works okay. The cable LOOKS fine but hasn't been tested and the transducer is clear with no fouling or anti-foul on it. Does anyone have any idea of the problem?
Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
The Tridata flashes when the instrument detects no return signal. This happens when the depth is too great, when there is a lot of turbulence just below the surface (eg passing through the wake of a ferry), when the boat is out of the water and when, for whatever reason, there is no signal being transmitted.

Assuming your boat is in the water and alongside in shallow water, then I can only guess that the machine is not generating a signal or the cable is faulty and not transmitting it. Check your connections carefully and the entire length of the cable for signs of damage. If there is damage to the cable you will have to replace it. You can't cut and reconnect echosounder cable because the length is critical to accuracy. It is possible, but very rare, for the transducer to fail.

If cable and connections pass OK then I am afraid it is a question of going back to the manufacturer either direct or via the local agent.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

Rich_F

Visit site
I've just had the same problem with my ST50, and had it fixed by the boatyard.

They tried an alternative transducer - no luck. They then sent off the circuit board to be repaired, and this seems to have been successful.

The people who fixed the circuit board were "Tinley Electronics", who I think are based in Lymington, but could be completely wrong. Their part of the bill came to £45 + VAT.

Naturally, this was just a small fraction of my invoice. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>