Flag and MMSI

steve1963

Visit site
If you reflag a vessel, does the MMSI number then have to be changed for an MMSI number issued by the country of your new flag?

Refueler

Visit site
Yes, along with your call sign and vessel's radio licence. Possibly, also the operator's radio licence. Also, does the flag state require a certificate of competence for the person in charge of the vessel?

Generally the Operators Radio licence and Certificate of Competence is not tied to Flag .. but there are exceptions of course.

I have one boat with Latvian Flag - Latvian MMSI - Latvian Call Sign and Station Licence.

I have another boat with Swedish Flag - Swedish MMSI - Swedish Call Sign and Station Licence.

Both boats are operated legally while I hold UK radio Licence and RYA ICC. I know others under other Flags with similar ....

Tranona

Visit site
By definition the Operators certificate is "international" and not connected with radio licencing.

Alicatt

Visit site
My boat is Belgian registered with Belgian Flag, MMSI, ATIS, and call sign, the ship station is registered in Belgium.
I have the RYA VHF SRC, and after contacting BIPT (Belgian Telecoms) they informed me that as the UK is part of the ITU then my radio licence is recognised by Belgium for use on the boat.
I also have the RYA ICC for coastal and inland waters and it is fine for our boat and for boats that can exceed 20km/h.
Then differences come into play, my ICC is for vessels up to 10m, in Belgium you do not need a licence IF your boat is smaller than 15m AND cannot exceed 20km/h.
Insurance company were quite happy when I got and submitted the ICC to them, they knocked about €100 off the annual premium, bringing it down to less than €100pa :)

Refueler

Visit site
My boat is Belgian registered with Belgian Flag, MMSI, ATIS, and call sign, the ship station is registered in Belgium.
I have the RYA VHF SRC, and after contacting BIPT (Belgian Telecoms) they informed me that as the UK is part of the ITU then my radio licence is recognised by Belgium for use on the boat.
I also have the RYA ICC for coastal and inland waters and it is fine for our boat and for boats that can exceed 20km/h.
Then differences come into play, my ICC is for vessels up to 10m, in Belgium you do not need a licence IF your boat is smaller than 15m AND cannot exceed 20km/h.
Insurance company were quite happy when I got and submitted the ICC to them, they knocked about €100 off the annual premium, bringing it down to less than €100pa :)

As far as I can ascertain ... the RYA ICC is :

Up to 24m and or 80 GRT whichever is least.

Its actually difficult to tie down as googling just leads to schools who want to convince you to take a course !! If someone actually has a document with the actual limits applicable TODAY - then please upload !!

What is the Maximum Boat Size for Day Skipper? (answer)

Link says Day Skipper - but mentions ICC

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site

Its actually difficult to tie down as googling just leads to schools who want to convince you to take a course !! If someone actually has a document with the actual limits applicable TODAY - then please upload !!
Mine says up to 10m, if we had done the course on a boat that was greater than 10m then it would have been as you quote.
ICC001SM.jpg

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Mine says up to 10m, if we had done the course on a boat that was greater than 10m then it would have been as you quote.
View attachment 171576

What is the Maximum Boat Size for Day Skipper? (answer)

Link says Day Skipper - but mentions ICC
The ICC taken on a vessel of over 10m has no specfic upper limit - it depends on the country.
The 24m and 80 grt only applies in UK waters as above these dimensions qualifications are required as for a commercial vessel.

Tranona

Visit site
Confusion here. While the sail ICC does not have the 10m limit, the power does unless you have a specific qualification for power over 10m

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
In 2010, when I regregistered my previous boat (UK reg -> Belgian reg) I had to apply for a new MMSI/Call sign from BIPT (Belgian equivalent of OFCOM).
No real hassle other than having the VHF reprogrammed with the new MMSI.

In 2020 the boat was sold to a Brit who took the boat back to the UK and he put her back on the SSR. When he applied for an MMSI/Call sign OFCOM assigned him the same MMSI/Call sign she had had 10 years previously.

Refueler

Visit site
The ICC taken on a vessel of over 10m has no specfic upper limit - it depends on the country.
The 24m and 80 grt only applies in UK waters as above these dimensions qualifications are required as for a commercial vessel.

Actually its Resolution 40 that decides - UK is a signatory to it ... and is why UK applies the rule.
It applies in all waters that are signatory to Resolution 40.