VHF (Fixed) Reset or Replace?

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
I tried inputting a new MMSI number into my fixed VHF. Stupidly, I hadn't realised that the same number stays with the same boat and VHF. Instead I attempted to transfer my MMSI over from my old boat and Off Com Licence. I now have a VHF that requires professional resetting.

My question is should I just get a new radio and install it? and is the only other way to resolve the issue is to remove the VHF entirely and take it to get it done professionally? I'm thinking that may be more costly and perhaps more grief?

As always, any advice appreciated.

A.S.P

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
Why don’t you speak to the dealer and find out the cost of reprogramming the radio. Knowing the cost you can balance that vs hassle of removal etc.

You have to remove it regardless is my understanding. You have to send it to the dealer for reprogramming. I just wondered if anyone had done it already and had any experience of this. But yeah, fair shout, I'll likely give them a call anyway.

jamie N

Visit site
It entirely depends on the radio, and in part it's age. My Standard Horizon GX2200 is able to have a new MMSI reset by me, with the radio in place on the boat. There's a procedure in the radio menu that addresses this, requiring me to gain a code, which I then send to the manufacturer, and they then provide me with the code.
1713417444679.png

Plum

Visit site
I tried inputting a new MMSI number into my fixed VHF. Stupidly, I hadn't realised that the same number stays with the same boat and VHF. Instead I attempted to transfer my MMSI over from my old boat and Off Com Licence. I now have a VHF that requires professional resetting.

My question is should I just get a new radio and install it? and is the only other way to resolve the issue is to remove the VHF entirely and take it to get it done professionally? I'm thinking that may be more costly and perhaps more grief?

As always, any advice appreciated.

A.S.P
Suggest you talk to Mantsbrite in Maldon Mantsbrite UK distibutors of navigation equipment

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
What make and model is the VHF? Maybe the editing software is available online somewhere. I have the software to edit a few of the ICOM hand-helds using a PC and it is very quick to do.

Its a fixed set - Cobra Marine MR F55 EU. I have contacted them via their website but they haven't responded. I can't find any phone numbers. The set is fitted in such a way it's going to be a right pain to remove if I need to. Hopefully they'll get back me soon.

colind3782

Visit site
A lot of the older units have a work around that you can reset by inputting certain things. When I had to change mine, the good people of this parish gave me the cheat details. What's the make and model?

Edit: beaten by above!

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
A lot of the older units have a work around that you can reset by inputting certain things. When I had to change mine, the good people of this parish gave me the cheat details. What's the make and model?

Edit: beaten by above!

Thanks @colind3782 . Hopefully I'll find some sort of cheat details as well. Am I right in thinking that although I can still use the radio as it is that it won't give out my correct details if an emergency arises? Or does it just mean I can't use it in DSC mode?

Plum

Visit site
Its a fixed set - Cobra Marine MR F55 EU. I have contacted them via their website but they haven't responded. I can't find any phone numbers. The set is fitted in such a way it's going to be a right pain to remove if I need to. Hopefully they'll get back me soon.
Just found this on an older post: 'Seems Marathon Leisure are the UK distributors for Cobra Marine, they may have some info or able to put you in contact -
Marathon Leisure
Teal Building, Northney Marina, Hayling , Island, Hampshire, PO11 0NH, UK
Tel.: +44 2392 637711
www.marathonleisure.co.uk "

Plum

Visit site
Thanks @colind3782 . Hopefully I'll find some sort of cheat details as well. Am I right in thinking that although I can still use the radio as it is that it won't give out my correct details if an emergency arises? Or does it just mean I can't use it in DSC mode?
I have found this for a different model of Cobra vhf, does it work on yours? "MRF77B fixed vhf MMSI Reset: press the 4 buttons on the front simultaneously namely: HI/LO + MENU + Rewind + 16 and then power on. The MMSI will disappear so you can enter a new MMSI."

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
Just found this on an older post: 'Seems Marathon Leisure are the UK distributors for Cobra Marine, they may have some info or able to put you in contact -
Marathon Leisure
Teal Building, Northney Marina, Hayling , Island, Hampshire, PO11 0NH, UK
Tel.: +44 2392 637711
www.marathonleisure.co.uk "

Thanks @Plum , very kind mate. I'll give them a shout.

Cheers

A_Sails_Pace

Visit site
I have found this for a different model of Cobra vhf, does it work on yours? "MRF77B fixed vhf MMSI Reset: press the 4 buttons on the front simultaneously namely: HI/LO + MENU + Rewind + 16 and then power on. The MMSI will disappear so you can enter a new MMSI."
Oh, I'll give this a try tomorrow for sure. Thanks again.

Refueler

Visit site

The Cobra MR55 EU requires a small mono plug and PC program. But if you have already mistakenly tried to change the MMSI - then like my old MR55 - it will need to go to an approved Dealer for them to reset the unit to accept MMSI number. You should not need to send back to Manufacturer etc. - there should be a dealer / chandlers that can reset it for you. It takes only a few minutes.
It will not cost the price of a new radio !! Well it shouldn't - I paid 40 euros to dealer in Riga to do mine before ... which I will need to have them again as the unit has been removed - I made mistake in the plug !! I used a stereo plug and its now locked out ....

Refueler

Visit site

Doesn't work on my MR55 .... it needs a mono plug and PC program.