First boat, never sailed and needing advice please

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I think you will find the rudder is designed to "kick up" (hinge?) for when the boat takes the ground and drying out

I don't think so. It has a fixed skeg, so there'd be no point in the rudder kicking up.

The Caprice, and other similar Robert Tucker (and others') designs, have a rudder the full length of the skeg, not just the lower section (which is what it looks like from the second photo - the part-length one doesn't make hydrodynamic sense. It would likely make for reduced turning ability, and heavier tiller loading for the same amount of turning effort (but might be still usable).

They were built by various builders (and there were various iterations of the design), so there may well be some minor variation in the rudder shapes, but the one in the OP's photo doesn't look right. I suspect it's a home-made replacement bodge for a lost or damaged rudder.

Here's photos of other Caprices' rudders.

1714749926939.png

1714749949209.png
1714750370461.png

Last edited:

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Drop her in the water and putter around.
. . . to get a feel for the turning circle, both ways.
How long it takes to come to a stop (no tidal current) after you put the engine in neutral from tick over speed and normal running revs.
What your Speed Over Ground is at different revs. You will need a GPS app for this, something like SailDroid (free).
Plus things others will think of . . .

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Do check the engine out first. If you can, do it yourself and give it a good service and a run.

I am tempted to say get it professionally serviced, but I know someone who 2 days ago, his freshly serviced motor gave up less than a mile after laiuch. Funny enough that happened to me with my first boat (I got a refund for the "service") Ever since I have done my own servicing and testing.

DownWest

Visit site
Seriously concerned about the rudder. The stock looks spindly and weak, def not original. Otherwise, how are the sails? The jib has a furler, so make sure that turns freely, esp the top bit.

Out of interest, what did you pay for it?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Do check the engine out first. If you can, do it yourself and give it a good service and a run.

I am tempted to say get it professionally serviced, but I know someone who 2 days ago, his freshly serviced motor gave up less than a mile after laiuch. Funny enough that happened to me with my first boat (I got a refund for the "service") Ever since I have done my own servicing and testing.

I'd check it runs before servicing it. Then you know if it doesn't run it is a pre-existing fault, rather than some new issue you've accidentally introduced. Then service it after you're checked it runs and sorted any failure to do so.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi There,
Cool, Shes a great little boat. Nothing more simple than sailing. Watch some videos on youtube. Every and anything you need is on there. Do all the checks people have suggested and pick up on the basics of Navigation, and off you Trot. Forum members here will say I thought so, But my first time at sea, so to speak, was in a Twister, Purchased from a scrap yard and having to rebuild the cockpit, fuel tank, all electrics and a lot of other stuff, I sneaked out the marina one morning and headed out in to the Ocean. well the Solent. Took me nearly an hour to get the nerve to hoist the main. I was shaking when Id done so. Id never been out in a boat before. makes me smile now. still cant sail but have had so much fun. Now good luck. always remember your the skipper and you are totally responsible to other peoples safety at sea. so a fire extinguisher, a handheld VHF that you can use and an anchor to deploy at anytime if your engine fails.

Good Luck
Steveeasy

WoodyP

Visit site
Hello folks,
Joining you from sunny Costa del Carmarthenshire 😆 Just kidding, it's never sunny here!

I've just this week bought my first ever boat after dreaming about sailing for 30+ years.😁

Im having difficulty identifying what she is. I've been told by the elderly previous owner, that she's a Caprice 19..............

View attachment 176371View attachment 176372

I've never owned a boat, so I don't know if it's supposed to have documentation like a car has a log book, but the fella has no paperwork for her said he's had it for 8 be out of the water for 2 years, and had her insured as a caprice 19.

I'm trying to find out what she is so I can get an insurance quote, I've googled and tried a few different companies but have been told I can't have a quote without proper identification.

Any ideas folks? Help would be extremely appreciated

TIA
M.
Where in Wet or West Wales are you. I'm down near Llawrenny tomorrow.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I
Seriously concerned about the rudder. The stock looks spindly and weak, def not original. Otherwise, how are the sails? The jib has a furler, so make sure that turns freely, esp the top bit.

I have heard there is someone breaking scrap boats for spares at East Llanion boatyard at Pembroke.
That’s not too far from Carmarthenshire, he might have a rudder that can be altered to make a reasonable fit. Having a new one made will likely cost more than the boat is worth, and finding second hand from another caprice as rare as hens teeth.

neil_s

Visit site
You might find the info you need on the mainsail. I think the Caprice emblem was a simple 'C' and this might also be accompanied by the sail number.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Step 1. Power wash.
Fits and test outboard (3 or 4 HP).

Step 2, lay out the sails and wash.
On the hard, rig the foresail, practice roller it in and out. If it doesn't furl smoothly , fix it.
Practice tacking, If the winches don't work smoothly, fix em.

Step 3. rig the mainsail. Hoist and practice, raising, lowering and reefing. If they are not smooth , fix them.

Step 4. Check that you have the correct safety gear.

Step 5. Go sailing. Make all your mistakes in sheltered water and benign conditions.

PS. Is that rudder correct?

gary
That rudder is almost certainly not correct, and being so small risks having all the poor steering and possible weather helm associated with that style. From the photos it doesnt seem very hydrodynamic either. Modification or replacement might proof useful - however OP should try it out.

Myrddin

welcome to the perplexing and costly world of boating. Get a decent DSC Radio so you can get assistance of all turns out bad. I guess you have no large inboard generation, but a suitable handheld will do - gives you GPS position to help your navigation and if you should ever hit mayday button it tells CG where you are. I like the Standard Horizon one which is currently about £200 on offer

jwilson

Visit site
Hull is definitely a Caprice. Mk I and Mk II were plywood, Mk I with s smaller coachroof and all later versions looked more or less like yours with a stepped coachroof. Mk III to Mk V were GRP. I had a plywood 'Mk 1.5' - a Mk I hull and deck with Mk II keels. Your rudder is all wrong, whichever model it is.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Something else to check - the spreaders / cross-trees on the mast appear to be a bit 'droopy' - they should ideally be angled slightly upwards, such that the spreader bisects (ie halves) the angle.
Because they are droopy, the angle of the shroud above the spreader is less than the angle below the spreader.

Also check all the connections on the rigging - for example, there appears to be a long shackle attaching the headsail furler to the stem. Check to make sure that the pin is seized, so that it can't unwind itself.
In similar fashion, check to make sure that all the clevis pins in the turnbuckles / bottlescrews have split pins in the ends to make sure that the clevis pins cannot fall out.

Myrddin

Visit site

£500, sails look in good condition, not fitted them yet.

Myrddin

Visit site
Found the information needed, by contacting tucker designs, gave them the information on the Yachthaven ID plate.
She is 1976 MkIII.