Filling a spring loaded grease pot

Sjk1000

Visit site
Hi all
Can anyone tell me how add grease to the grease pot in the image below. I assume the top nut is removed, or do I attach a grease gun to that. Not a job I've done before so I really haven't a clue here.
Thanks

IMG-20230530-WA0001.jpg

Plum

Visit site
Hi all
Can anyone tell me how add grease to the grease pot in the image below. I assume the top nut is removed, or do I attach a grease gun to that. Not a job I've done before so I really haven't a clue here.
Thanks

View attachment 157357
The ones I have seen have a grease nipple at the base so the grease is pumped in below the sprung loaded piston using a grease gun.
Edit: I've just found a picture showing the grease nipple spring_greasers_2.jpg

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I'm not farmiliar with these but looking at the photo's the arrangement on the top end looks as if the domed nut is released slightly to allow air to be released as the grease is pumped in from the bottom. otherwise there is the resistence of the spring as well as the trapped air to prevent filling.

Sjk1000

Visit site
The ones I have seen have a grease nipple at the base so the grease is pumped in below the sprung loaded piston using a grease gun.
Edit: I've just found a picture showing the grease nipple View attachment 157401
Thanks Plum! I'd never have found it there. I can't actually see it at all from the access hatch because my head doesn't stretch that far. I can only feel it and get the grease gun onto it. The pot I have is the front one in the photo and the nut at the top is an air release valve. That was driving me crazy. Thanks again : )

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I've never come across the type, but my wild guess is perhaps the top is removed, the chamber is, say, 3/4 filled with grease (as per a manual greaser) and then the plunger is put on top of the grease, the top pushed down hard to compress the spring and the top (outer) nut is put on and screwed down to hold it all in place.

I think the 'inner' nut (at the very top), is either a vent, as suggested above, or might actually be the grease nipple for filling it (i.e. the central 'bolt' may be hollow and carry the grease past the plunger).

Sjk1000

Visit site
I've never come across the type, but my wild guess is perhaps the top is removed, the chamber is, say, 3/4 filled with grease (as per a manual greaser) and then the plunger is put on top of the grease, the top pushed down hard to compress the spring and the top (outer) nut is put on and screwed down to hold it all in place.

I think the 'inner' nut (at the very top), is either a vent, as suggested above, or might actually be the grease nipple for filling it (i.e. the central 'bolt' may be hollow and carry the grease past the plunger).
That was my wild guess too but the spring is ridiculously strong and when the nut is off it fires the cap across the engine bay. I did try to put the grease in this way, then I couldn't compress the spring enough to replace the cap and the nut. The real solution is to find the secret grease nipple hidden beneath the pot and it becomes a really easy job : )