Fastnet 2017

Keen_Ed

Visit site

PurpleKate

Visit site
First Fastnet for me too on Purple Mist. 6 onboard. Attempted all the RORC races this year with the goal of not being last. Have been improving.... sort of.. and not last on the ones we finished though most have been a marathon. Dropped out of Myth after getting becalmed twice and work commitments of the crew. Dropped out of Channel as the course was much longer than we had planned for and again had not taken Monday as holiday.

Stotty

Visit site
First Fastnet for me too on Purple Mist. 6 onboard. Attempted all the RORC races this year with the goal of not being last. Have been improving.... sort of.. and not last on the ones we finished though most have been a marathon. Dropped out of Myth after getting becalmed twice and work commitments of the crew. Dropped out of Channel as the course was much longer than we had planned for and again had not taken Monday as holiday.

The qualifying races we did were all a pain at some stage -

We got becalmed just outside Cherbourg - the last mile took nearly and hour, and it was only the tide that eventually pushed us over the line.

We got becalmed on the Myth twice. But most frustratingly, 7nm short of the finish line, from where we had to retire as most of the crew needed to be at work the next morning. The Myth was a real slog - 54 hours of sailing for us, 52 of which were beating.

We got becalmed on the Morgan around 3 miles from the finish, but eventually got going after 45 mins of bobbing around in circles.

Thought we were going to have to complete the Channel race to get the qualifying mileage, but our skipper went to see RORC and they credited us with the Myth mileage.

Good luck for the Fastnet.

PurpleKate

Visit site
Stotty your experiences sound very familiar, what boat are you on and we can give you a wave. We finished in Le Harve about 5 hrs behind everyone else as caught by the tide (though not last!), Dingdong bowl we manged to "Kill" the Code zero and then later the A2 in a massive broach though later both were resuscitated. Morgan cup were got becalmed the last 5 miles and were invaded by hoards of flies. St Malo was more becalming luckily in the shelter of Guernsey when the tide change so not too many miles lost. 41hrs but we did win the Spica cup for the best boat under 38' sailed by 3 or more friends and family (I suspect not many applied for it , though I did beat 30 boats) .......and this is supposed to be an enjoyable leisure activity!!! Best bit so far was Morgan cup first evening when the boat was nicely trucking along - hoping for that in Fastnet

Stotty

Visit site
Stotty your experiences sound very familiar, what boat are you on and we can give you a wave.

We're A'assifa, Beneteau 1st 45, GBR 2784L.

and this is supposed to be an enjoyable leisure activity!!!

LOL... I know that feeling.

Although I've been sailing for 20 years, and have done a few Channel crossings, this is my 1st year of 'off shore' racing. I remember laying in my sleeping bag on the 2nd night of the Myth, knackered, cold & damp, thinking of ways to tell the skipper I'd changed my mind and I didn't want to do the Fastnet. But once back on dry land, with a bit of time to reflect, I found myself looking forward to the next one... it dawned on me that for me, the enjoyment in this sort of sailing comes from challenge, both mental and physical.

Took this attitude to the Morgan and loved it... other than the last hour or so, the Morgan really was a brilliant sail.

Now I can't wait for the Fastnet.

savageseadog

Visit site
Our Fastnet "challenge" is over. I left the delivery too late and some very poor forecast weather has made the delivery from N Wales a little too tight for comfort.

TiggerToo

Visit site
well be chugging along on the sidelines, and I hope we may catch some news on VHF.... around what time/date will the racers pass the IoS?

Stotty

Visit site
Depending on the forecast site, the weather forecast starting to look a bit more promising - a bit light at the start, but then filling in nicely, at least until mid Wednesday.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Depending on the forecast site, the weather forecast starting to look a bit more promising - a bit light at the start, but then filling in nicely, at least until mid Wednesday.

Looking to be a beat to lands end the maybe a beat to the rock if it comes round to the north west as predicted.

Stotty

Visit site
Looking to be a beat to lands end the maybe a beat to the rock if it comes round to the north west as predicted.

Just looking at the latest on Windytv (I've been looking a couple of times a day since Monday!)...

Looks like a nice comfortable 1st 24 hours, then goes slack through the middle of Monday, before picking up again and continuing to strengthen... Tuesday night looks like it could be 'interesting'... Windytv says >20knt NWly, with gusts to 35knts+ up the Irish Sea, heavy cloud, rain, and a decent chop.

After that, just got to be back before the wind disappears during Thursday.

Other threads that may be of interest