Fairline Targa 34 - help needed

Mike_S

Visit site
I've been asked to go a view a couple of '99 / 2000 models for a couple of friends (which SWMBO and I are *more* than happy to do /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ) either this weekend or next down on the south coast and I'm after some help off the forum from owners / ex-owners as to any issues to look out for.

I've got a load of photos of one of them, tomorrow I'll look to get some of the others but in the meantime I'd be really grateful if anyone can help out with less obvious things to check.

Obviously a full survey / sea trial will be done but as a relative newcomer to boating I'll be looking at servicing / condition in the first instance and making recommendations based on that, it would be nice to have a few pointers for other things though.

Thanks

Mike

DepSol

Visit site
Water in the cabins bilges every where some leak like a sieve.

Look for tell tale signs of water coming through the windows too.

Dom

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Yep good tip
check also for some leaks between the rubbing strake, hull and topside joint
if you go for a survey make sure to Powerwash the boat especially in these places:
hatches, cleats, portholes and rubbing strakes (Fairline suffer a bit in this last one)

Mike_S

Visit site
God these Fairlines are nice, I really want one for myself now. 8 years old and looked like 2, someone's really looked after it. No signs of leaks anywhere, barely a scratch on the sides and only needing a really good clean of the cockpit and a serious polishing of the topsides before going down to southern spain. Subject to survey it looks like my friends are buying it, can't wait for a trip out on it now !

Recommendations for a polishing company and shrink wrappers in the vicinity of Lymington would be good if anyone has them.

Mike_S

Visit site
Thanks. Don't suppose you have a contact website or phone number for them ? Google's only turning up company's in norfolk, scotland and yorkshire ! It did turn up Boatmate though, anyone used them ?

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Why not have it shipped to S.France then have some fun going down the Spanish coast. You will save some money and some intercountry hassel on transport. Of course anything saved will go straight into the fuel tank (and more!) but lots of fun.
I hope the boat comes with the original invoice showing VAT paid, by the way, or you could be in trouble.
ps I had no problems with customs ripping open the shrinkwrap.

Mike_S

Visit site
Thanks for that, if the boat were going to be mine then I'd be tempted to take it from the SoF but sadly, it's not /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As I recall, it's Part1 registered so all the VAT invoices are available. It's something for the surveyor to check though as the broker hadn't brought any of the documentation with him when I viewed the boat. Having been caught out with the our own boat and its (now lack of) service history from a brokerage it's something that needs confirming with this boat before my friend parts with the readies.