Exceptional high tides

Tranona

Visit site
Autumn equinox. Here in Poole the range was 2.2m and low 0.3 this afternoon as I discovered when trying to take a heavy load (the bowsprit off the boat) down the ramp. Gave up as it would have run away. Low on Friday predicted to be 0.1m so most of the harbour will be exposed mud. Typical springs range is 1.8m

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Not that I understand coefficients; Plymouth is showing 131% for 19/09/2024.

What I do understand it tidal range AM 5.30m PM 5.50m

I am off to the Solent on Sunday should I be worried?

wonkywinch

Visit site

The things to consider are any parts you might normally be happy passing at low water will be shallower this LW. The tidal streams will also be stronger than indicated in your almanac as the range will be higher than mean springs used in the little pictures therefore more water to move in the same amount of time (6 hrs) so current will run faster.

HW and LW values will be correct as these take coefficient into account (but not local rainfall/air pressure variables).

Your 4kt mean spring tide will be 5kts. Use it in your favour and it will be a good thing.

Overfalls, wind against tide etc will be worse, again due to faster flow. All determined from a squiz at the coefficient. I use the Brest coefficient in the back of the Channel Almanac to glean the info (ignore the fact its for Brest, same blob of water, just the French use coefficients more due to the higher ranges around the French channel ports).

Boathook

Visit site
Autumn equinox. Here in Poole the range was 2.2m and low 0.3 this afternoon as I discovered when trying to take a heavy load (the bowsprit off the boat) down the ramp. Gave up as it would have run away. Low on Friday predicted to be 0.1m so most of the harbour will be exposed mud. Typical springs range is 1.8m
Love to see pictures of Poole and Christchurch harbours at low water.

Bristolfashion

Visit site

Happy!

We're going down to Lymington on the ebb & back up on the flood.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

Even the wind is behaving.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
This definition from the UKHO is pretty comprehensive,

"What is Chart Datum?
A:Answer Chart Datum is the plane below which all depths are published on a navigational chart. It is also the plane to which all tidal heights are referred, so by adding the tidal height to the charted depth, the true depth of water is determined. By international agreement Chart Datum is defined as a level so low that the tide will not frequently fall below it. In the United Kingdom, this level is normally approximately the level of Lowest Astronomical Tide.

The highest and lowest predicted tides that can occur are deemed Highest Astronomical Tide (HAT) and Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT) respectively. These levels are the highest and lowest levels which can be predicted to occur under average meteorological conditions, and under any combination of astronomical conditions; these levels will not be reached every year. HAT and LAT are not the extreme levels which can be reached, as Storm Surges (wind-induced long period waves causing higher and lower-than-predicted levels to occur) and pressure effects can significantly alter the times and / or heights of the observed tide."