Engine choices.

ST840

Visit site
So we as a family have decided that the Antares 9.80 is the next boat for us.
We are not ready to pull the trigger on anything just yet but keep scanning the market and in the last month 3 have come on for sale. All in our geographical area, been to look at 2 of them. Both had D4 225's in. Then I've seen one with twin nanni 200's.
Personally (I'm no expert) I think the nanni is a better engine for reliability, is this possibly true? If so, on a boat that size will 50hp extra/less make that much difference?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
As you know ST840 I've had 11 years with twin Nannis. 175 hp each, Toyota Landcruiser 3.0 based - non electronic.

Never missed a beat, never fouled a heat exchanger or leaked one drop - just works. Gets the annual service with oil and filters, impellers on longer intervals as I'm monitoring flow and will be alerted in due time if anything fails.

Fellow boater has an identical boat with 2 x Volvo TAMD41, 200 hp. Different sound (6-cyl), but close to same performance. More important if water tanks are empty and other dead weight is removed, if you want to go fast..
BTW he just finalized a thorough cleanout of exchangers and oil coolers. Doable but not easy to get to, placed down, along the side of the block (Nanni have these parts placed in a very convenient position high on the engines, just like the oil filters. Admittedly irrelevant as the exchangers have not needed any work.. :) Since the Nanni's are shorter (4-cyl) access is better.

Have had other makes and models over 54 years of boating, but these are just up there on my list.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Visit site
Re performance, this table was posted by someone else on here I think but I captured as part of my file of info. Doesn't look like much performance difference at all.

I've not seen a Nanni engined 9.80 to compare but access on the Volvo's is pretty good in the 9.80 unlike in the Prestige 32 lol (did you see the one advertised this week?)

I would imagine the Nanni in this application is still electronically controlled rather than mechanical as it is a later engine, but whether the Nanni ECU is more reliable than the Volvo I don't know....... :unsure:

Cheers,

TCPerformance.jpg

ST840

Visit site
did you see the one advertised this week?
Yes the one down in Chichester. 2004 boat.
Looks nice. But it does seem that the nanni engines will have to be drivena it harder to achieve matching performance to the D4.
Thanks for posting the chart, very useful??

Portofino

Visit site
Nanni uses less fuel for a given cruise and they are swinging slightly bigger props with more pitch .
Toyoto block + all that established Japanese reliability that goes with it said block .Millions produced .

VP is a throw away block no wet liners + its not used for anything else and from a reliability pov and parts back up,( the ECU debacle) given a choice which you have it’s a no brainier to steer away I would have thought.
A lot never have the luxury of choice = exercise it wisely.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Yes the one down in Chichester. 2004 boat.
Looks nice. But it does seem that the nanni engines will have to be drivena it harder to achieve matching performance to the D4.
Thanks for posting the chart, very useful??

If 'driven harder' means more rpm, the engine won't mind. Designed to work and actually lives a better life when allowed to, within specs.

rjudge said:
There is a Facebook group “ Volvo penta victims” that has a wide geographic reach and many people with IPs problems.

There are lots of knowledgable people about IPs and hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

dpb

Visit site
We bought a 9.80 with 2x Nanni 200 last year and have been living on it the last three months.
We are very happy with it so far, access round the engines is very good so getting to everything is easy.
Service parts cheap and readily available once cross references sorted. findings.
The rpm /speed table above concurs with our findings.

ST840

Visit site
We bought a 9.80 with 2x Nanni 200 last year and have been living on it the last three months.
We are very happy with it so far, access round the engines is very good so getting to everything is easy.
Service parts cheap and readily available once cross references sorted. findings.
The rpm /speed table above concurs with our findings.

Brilliant, that's good to know that you are so happy with the boat and engines. This concentrates the search more. Many thanks indeed for your feedback??

oldgit

Visit site
They all have their upsides and downsides.
Buy the best boat what ever engines it has.
Nobody but nobody has the extensive range of dealers and spares that Volvo Penta offers or the parts range still available for engines going back for decades.
Buy any boat with engines that are not the usual run of the mill installation in that particular boat and you will pay a penalty on sale no matter how wonderful or reliable the engines.
Try flogging the same boat with Mercruisers( the Nanni and the Yanmar of the period) ) installed as opposed to Volvo Pentas and note the asking price difference and how quickly it sells.
99% of boat engines will never ever get anywhere near approaching "wearing out", most will meet their demise long before due to neglect and failure of other components making the engine uneconomic to repair.
30 + year boats with 500-600 hours are as common as muck, any gin place with 2000 hours on it is probably unsellable and usually advertised as "a spacious livaboard" ..sensible offers accepted. :)

Last edited:

Jim@sea

Visit site
After living in France for a few years when I stared looking for a boat I was amazed at how many boats there were for sale. And I bought one and brought it back to the UK, I would certainly look on the French Websites to see how much they are compared to the UK Although the Euro is very high at the moment. "Announces" is a good French boating magazine to get.

ST840

Visit site
After living in France for a few years when I stared looking for a boat I was amazed at how many boats there were for sale. And I bought one and brought it back to the UK, I would certainly look on the French Websites to see how much they are compared to the UK Although the Euro is very high at the moment. "Announces" is a good French boating magazine to get.
Yes the sale prices are lower than they are here in the UK, but add delivery and VAT then the prices are similar.

ST840

Visit site
One for sale just popped up today in Scotland... they dont have any photos yet (look like magazine stock shots) but it's not got the Nannis which it sounds like you are after. 2007 Beneteau Antares 9.80 Flybridge for sale - YachtWorld
Thanks for that. Yes all stock pics on that ad.
These guys also ask for real strong money for their boats. I've looked at a couple of the same age and price, and they are just not worth the asking price. But, they sell quick. Think I'll be keeping my powder dry for now.

Moonbeam

Visit site
Thanks for that. Yes all stock pics on that ad.
These guys also ask for real strong money for their boats. I've looked at a couple of the same age and price, and they are just not worth the asking price. But, they sell quick. Think I'll be keeping my powder dry for now.
I agree, that particular broker has been notable for pushing hard on prices. At least they now list the actual price, a few weeks ago their ads were mostly POA (price on application). So things must be calming down a bit.

ST840

Visit site
I agree, that particular broker has been notable for pushing hard on prices. At least they now list the actual price, a few weeks ago their ads were mostly POA (price on application). So things must be calming down a bit.
Yes I remember they had an F33 on their books that was probably £25k over priced. But because they had buffed up the top sides they thought it was worth the extra cost and tried to sell it as the best boat around.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Yes the sale prices are lower than they are here in the UK, but add delivery and VAT then the prices are similar.

Went to view a P35 in Barcelona years ago: Nice photos, good communication. Fair asking price and the (to me) attraction that it was in Original state.

Reality was that is used year round, Spanish sunshine, rarely taken out and "Original"=we didn't do anything to it, ever.
Needed a coupe of new turbos, total refit inside, new electronics, several times cut, rub buff and wax, antifoul removal and renew... and this before going into detail behind the scenes :oops: .

ST840

Visit site
Went to view a P35 in Barcelona years ago: Nice photos, good communication. Fair asking price and the (to me) attraction that it was in Original state.

Reality was that is used year round, Spanish sunshine, rarely taken out and "Original"=we didn't do anything to it, ever.
Needed a coupe of new turbos, total refit inside, new electronics, several times cut, rub buff and wax, antifoul removal and renew... and this before going into detail behind the scenes :oops: .
Yes, I can imagine that that was pretty damned frustrating. It's a shame people can't just be honest and upfront in these matters. ?

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Interesting the performance figures too, in that for the same cruising speed the Nannis were revving a bit higher as you would expect. Even with that, they were running at 3-4l/hr less than the VP engines. Times two a saving of 7-8 litres per hour when cruising at 16-18kts, or about £12-14 per hour in fuel.