Elizabethan 30

john1981

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking at buying an elizabethan 30 is there any particular red flags I should be looking for when viewing?
Thanks in advance

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Yes, the red flag is that they are all very old. You can't avoid the fact that the newest is now over 50. Good design and a fine reputation in days gone by doesn't alter the fact that time does not stand still. You need to approach it with the utmost caution and prove beyond all doubt, that it can become the boat to suit your needs at a realistic price.

It particular prove that things like the mast is still structurally sound and that there's no corrosion under all the fittings and track. Examine the hull to deck joint as the sealant in bolted joints is now at more than twice its design life, etc.

The good news is that the world is awash with similar boats (Javiin 30, Contessa 32, Hustler 30, etc). The bad news is that generally they are all over priced as old blokes in the UK still have wet dreams about this sort of boat. But you have to sort the wheat from the chafe. Some still have merit and are worth £10k plus if they have that amount of new sails / rig / engine / equipment with them, but some are waiting to be chopped up. Caveat Emptor.

steveeasy

Visit site
Yes, the red flag is that they are all very old. You can't avoid the fact that the newest is now over 50. Good design and a fine reputation in days gone by doesn't alter the fact that time does not stand still. You need to approach it with the utmost caution and prove beyond all doubt, that it can become the boat to suit your needs at a realistic price.

It particular prove that things like the mast is still structurally sound and that there's no corrosion under all the fittings and track. Examine the hull to deck joint as the sealant in bolted joints is now at more than twice its design life, etc.

The good news is that the world is awash with similar boats (Javiin 30, Contessa 32, Hustler 30, etc). The bad news is that generally they are all over priced as old blokes in the UK still have wet dreams about this sort of boat. But you have to sort the wheat from the chafe. Some still have merit and are worth £10k plus if they have that amount of new sails / rig / engine / equipment with them, but some are waiting to be chopped up. Caveat Emptor.
Wet dreams. Nice one. All those old boats just provide a cost effective option in to sailing. If it wasn’t for the old boats, there would be 50% less boats on the water. Bad for all businesses and bad for 50 % of us sailors .

A Elizabethan 30 is a lovelly boat just use your head and not too much of your heart when finding one .
Steveeasy

prestomg27

Visit site
I think they are super boats. There is a stunning one kept near us at essex marina. You can find them where they have been upgraded and maintained, in which case they are a bargain.

john1981

Visit site
Hi I had a look today. She looks pretty good. She had a refit in 2014 new engine 6 years ago new standing rigging in 2017. I've seen on the Internet pictures of 1/4 berths. Are they a cut yourself jobby or is it alot of work? Also I sore some cracks in the keel I'll add so pictures now.

V1701

Visit site
I've seen boats that have half inch thick antifoul that's built up over the years, it eventually starts to fall off in big chunks, maybe that's cracks in very thick layers of antifoul? Whatever it is definitely needs proper investigation before you make an offer. Has it been for sale 18 months (clue there)? It'd be a shame if it was something that needed major work, newish engine & standing rigging are big plusses.

As an aside these older boats can be very good value, I bought a 1969 Bowman 26 a few years ago, nearly new Beta engine, windvane steering, recent standing rigging & sails, tiller pilot, new bunk cushions (surprisingly expensive to replace) for 4 grand. The engine alone would have cost more than that.

Good luck...:)

fredrussell

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking at buying an elizabethan 30 is there any particular red flags I should be looking for when viewing?
Thanks in advance
Are you getting a survey done? Money well spent if you ask me. You could ask on here for recommendations of surveyors in your area perhaps.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Had one for 10 years-sailed very well. Suggest from photos that the keel bolts will need drawing and examined. Quite a few were home fitted out (mine was!).