eBay, is there now too much fraud to make it safe ?

oldharry

Visit site
Ive used Ebay fro hundreds of ransactions, I only had 2 purchases go wrong: one was a serial scammer who ended up in nick after he took hundreds of orders which he had no intention or way of filling. Ebay called the Police in on that one. The otjher was a bit strange when a member with a decent score suddenyl went overboard, and advertised a lot of thing she didnt have, then never sent them. Ebay refunded as soon as I complained, and the seller disappeared soon after. Maybe he hit a big bill he was under pressure to pay, though how he thought he would get away with it i dont know.

Selling has not been so easy: I used to allow people I knew at the boatyard to sell their boats or gear through my ebay account. That was fine, because they were all people I knew and could trust, but after the third sale in a row fell through with buyers disappearing after placing a winning bid, I gave up. I did manage to sell my own boat successfully later on though. Boats do seem particularly to attract time wasters. I dont know if thats true with other high value items?

One way I identified r scammers was to check feedback dates: I several times came across feedback with 20 - 30 positive hits all logged the same day! Whenever i came across it i reported it and nearly all of them disappeared within a day or two!

There are occasionally bargains to be had still. I just recently acquired a Pentax DSLR complete with lens for £28.50. it was listed as 'will not switch on after being in storage'. I wanted the lens, but It just needed the battery contacts cleaning for it to work perfectly! Took less than a minute to fix it! AT that price even the lens was a bargain, but I guess most bidders looked at the fact the body wasnt working and didnt see there was a lens with it!

affinite

Visit site
I actually prefer the yachts & yachty bits page on Facebook than ebay, where everybody pays far too much for their goods. Facebook page tends to be full of genuine sailors, rather than Ebay muppets. Just found a boat I wanted, off faceache.

A word of caution ..
I use eBay a lot but I have never knowingly bought anything through FB however last Thursday my wife asked what these two "FB" transactions were on our (paper) credit card statement. (total value £18). I quickly checked my on-line credit card "recent transactions" page to discover that a further £700 had been debited in the 24hrs since we received the paper statement !
Quick call to CC company cancelled my card and cancelled the dodgy transactions but I still don't know where the scammers got my CC details from.

On-line Buyer beware !!!!

CLB

Visit site
My experience of buying on FB has all been cash in collection. It seems about the safest way of doing business as far as I can see. No credit card details used or needed.

gertha

Visit site
From my original entry,
People have indicated that fraud happens but is easy to see, however eBay appears to not be prepared to police this.
Mr. Muck made his millions and I got him wrong, he has moved on.
As a sideline why 4he f does he wants to send plastic electric cars into space beets me, I thought we were doing a good job of polluting our own planet without taking on space.
He can go down in history as the first private danker to be a space polluter.

A private rant out of the way.

If eBay and PayPal are making lots of money each day out of transactions, most safe, why are they not policing there system.
I have a generator bought on my account, this is obviously fraud, no one reply’s to my emails from seller, no one reply’s to my reports to eBay.
I sincerely think that the inbuilt fraud on EBay will be its death. I am not out of pocket but now consider in unsafe.
Simon

Blue Sunray

Visit site
From my original entry,
People have indicated that fraud happens but is easy to see, however eBay appears to not be prepared to police this.
Mr. Muck made his millions and I got him wrong, he has moved on.
As a sideline why 4he f does he wants to send plastic electric cars into space beets me, I thought we were doing a good job of polluting our own planet without taking on space.
He can go down in history as the first private danker to be a space polluter.

A private rant out of the way.

If eBay and PayPal are making lots of money each day out of transactions, most safe, why are they not policing there system.
I have a generator bought on my account, this is obviously fraud, no one reply’s to my emails from seller, no one reply’s to my reports to eBay.
I sincerely think that the inbuilt fraud on EBay will be its death. I am not out of pocket but now consider in unsafe.
Simon

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...ou-take-his-opinions-seriously-20180122142873

prv

Visit site
As a sideline why 4he f does he wants to send plastic electric cars into space beets me

It's more interesting than a block of concrete - got a lot of people's attention.

I read that he actually offered the capacity on that flight for a real payload, but even at zero launch cost nobody was willing to risk their expensive hardware being blown up on the first flight of an experimental rocket. So it was either a block of concrete for a simulated payload as boring government NASA would do, or fly something more interesting.

The first Dragon capsule had a wheel of cheese in it as part of the dummy payload, just because.

Pete

gertha

Visit site
A brief update.
eBay continue to show an open purchase on my account for the item they removed, also the second Ginny that was obviously fraud, eBay do nothing.
The claim that they do not reply to people telling them about frau d is true, the other claim that they respond to the fraud is not all true.
Buyer be warned.