Early AM finishes

fireball

Visit site
Just calculating my finish time - it seems to be early hours of Weds morning ... when I'm normally fast asleep in my bed ...

I have a choice - I can deliberately head for the island just off the finish - which should stop me and put me in a place easy to finish within 1/4 hour - then a DC at a point after I intend to hit to direct me to the finish ...

Or I can wake up and ensure I cross the finish line in one hit ....

Or - does it really matter?! ;)

Oh it's so antisocial!! Still, if I can get SWMBO driving a boat for the next leg I may get away with more frequent "checks on progress"!!

Grunter

Visit site
I have had to have a change of goals as I am not going to make the finish. Thinking the VMG was wrt waypoints caused me to go backwards:( at least I will know for next leg. Goal now to finish under 800nm and better than #800.

fireball

Visit site
Ah - yes ... VMG is only calculated in relation to the current wind direction ...
You also made the same mistake as many by trying to tack down the South Atlantic ...
It worked far better to reach down to get to the strong Westerly winds ... kite up all the way baby!! ;)

Grunter

Visit site
Yes, I did want to follow that route but I was already approx 500nm behind you at that point and a rather large area of low wind appeared between us and I decided not to sail into it.. the forecast was then updated and my new course had me sail into it anyway. :(

will know better for next leg

Alistairr

Visit site
Just calculating my finish time - it seems to be early hours of Weds morning ... when I'm normally fast asleep in my bed ...

I have a choice - I can deliberately head for the island just off the finish - which should stop me and put me in a place easy to finish within 1/4 hour - then a DC at a point after I intend to hit to direct me to the finish ...

Or I can wake up and ensure I cross the finish line in one hit ....

Or - does it really matter?! ;)

Oh it's so antisocial!! Still, if I can get SWMBO driving a boat for the next leg I may get away with more frequent "checks on progress"!!

Don't head for the island, just point it too the line before you go to bed, thats what i did when crossing the line, and hoped it went over ok.
The course you're on at the moment, will take you straight over the line with no course change.

Cheers
Al.

fireball

Visit site
It will now - deliberately headed a little further north so I could get a clean line clear of the peninsular of Mouille Point at the north end of Signal hill to the finish line... puts me a little slower atm - finishing 0530ish ... but that will change with the wind strength & direction changes whilst I do a COG sail ...

fireball

Visit site
Well - I did set a straight line to the finish before going to sleep last night - slowed me down a little and finally finished just after 0615 this morning ... the PITA was I was awake at 0530 ... no idea why!! Just woke up ... still, I was able to track the boats progress using Brainaid's site on the iPhone ... :)
Couple of days rest then onto the next leg ... phew!

Grunter

Visit site
well #803 with 676nm to go, doubt that is going to change much now..

ah well, at least I should be able to better that performance in the next leg.

Alistairr

Visit site
Well - I did set a straight line to the finish before going to sleep last night - slowed me down a little and finally finished just after 0615 this morning ... the PITA was I was awake at 0530 ... no idea why!! Just woke up ... still, I was able to track the boats progress using Brainaid's site on the iPhone ... :)
Well done on finishing before the cut off.

What is Brainaids site you were using?

Cheers
Al.

fireball

Visit site
Brainaid's site is linked from the sailonline.org site in the links section ...

http://team-yacht-treff.de/

Go to the sailonline toolbox - I used "Navigation" to give me a rough idea of where I was, heading and speed - just to ensure I wasn't entirely off the mark - but it doesn't give you a course to waypoint so you have to know roughly what it is ....

I did use the DC editor (delay command) to apply a course change - it is pure text so you have to be comfortable with editing in that format - no real biggy, but it isn't click'n'play - but it did work and got me on the right course until I could get to a computer to fine tune my course.