Dyneema Scissors

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
I am interested now what hardness the steel is on the pair i recommended earlier. I cant find a reference other than it suggests it is 10x harder than untreated steel.
I found additional information was often available going directly to the supplier’s website. Although in this case the shears are listed as ACME, they are branded Clauss (a US company). This is probably the pair:
Clauss 8

Hardness is not specified, they are simply listed as “Carbonitride Titanium Bonded“.

A rigger on CF did report that he was using Clauss “Titanium bonded” 5.5” shears (listed as having 3x the sharpness of steel):
Clauss 5.5
He gave them a strong recommendation:
”they absolutely rule over the D-splicer scissors, which I still have and use for lesser projects. The Clauss' just last longer and cut stronger.
PS I use them all day long when I'm at work.”

SWL

ip485

Visit site
Thanks Seaworthy - yes I had had a look at their home page as well. Still, glad to read they are thought good, I must say I have been very pleased with them.

I have been cutting some kevlar carbon weave. Cutting carbon fibre fabric is one thing, the kevlar I found is in another league, but these scissors dont seem to notice. It is surprisng the difference good scissors make.

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Thanks Seaworthy - yes I had had a look at their home page as well. Still, glad to read they are thought good, I must say I have been very pleased with them.

I have been cutting some kevlar carbon weave. Cutting carbon fibre fabric is one thing, the kevlar I found is in another league, but these scissors dont seem to notice. It is surprisng the difference good scissors make.

It is a sheer pleasure (no pun intended :) ) using good equipment, particularly anything designed to cut: galley knives, pocket knives or shears. I don’t mind paying for a premium product, but I do resent paying twice the price for products branded for marine use. Hence the recent hunt for alternatives to D-Splicer scissors.

Shears with long blades are infinitely better for cutting fabric. I find short blades less cumbersome for rope work.

SWL

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
It is a sheer pleasure (no pun intended :) ) using good equipment, particularly anything designed to cut: galley knives, pocket knives or shears. I don’t mind paying for a premium product, but I do resent paying twice the price for products branded for marine use. Hence the recent hunt for alternatives to D-Splicer scissors.

Shears with long blades are infinitely better for cutting fabric. I find short blades less cumbersome for rope work.

SWL

I’m in your debt. I am old enough to have bought rope by the pound weight, but I am only now coming to terms with the idea that I need to learn this stuff, or be ripped off for what’s left of my sailing career (which I hope will be the best bit)!

Last edited:
Reactions: pvb

ip485

Visit site
IMG_4294.JPG

Entirely out of interest, and although I use them on the boat, I have enjoyed recently making a chess set entirely out of carbon / kevlar. The individual squares were all cut using the scissors which is testimony to how well they work. The case is 2mm carbon so just beyond their ability, although with effort they will just cut 2mm. Of course as I mentioned earlier before the weave is infused with resin it is much easier.

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Jus
View attachment 110158

Entirely out of interest, and although I use them on the boat, I have enjoyed recently making a chess set entirely out of carbon / kevlar. The individual squares were all cut using the scissors which is testimony to how well they work. The case is 2mm carbon so just beyond their ability, although with effort they will just cut 2mm. Of course as I mentioned earlier before the weave is infused with resin it is much easier.

Just beautiful!

zoidberg

Visit site
By coincidence, earlier today I tried to purchase a copy of the Nusharp 956 ( either handle-type ) as recommended by much-respected Seaworthylass on CF some weeks ago, and again here today.
Amazon indicate they have no stocks.
Same thing with RS - as it was some weeks ago when I first queried them. They're willing to 'pre-order' against a suggested despatch date around 25 March - but I now prefer to know a retailer has stock on shelves before parting with the beer tokens.
I fired off an email querying the manufacturer in Taiwan today, and if there's a useful response, I'll post it here.

Zing

Visit site

SWL
Thanks for the tips. Good tools are indeed a pleasure. I just ordered the RS one.

I need a galley knife, a good sized chef's knife. My current one is a stainless blade, but doesn't really hold its edge. What do you like to use?

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Good tools are indeed a pleasure. I just ordered the RS one.

I need a galley knife, a good sized chef's knife. My current one is a stainless blade, but doesn't really hold its edge. What do you like to use?

Hi Zing
The big problem is that knives that can be sharpened easily and keep their edge well tend to have a high carbon content and these will rust in a marine environment.

I buy knives with lifetime use in mind, which is not necessarily what cruisers want on board. When we first started full time cruising 14 years ago I brought three 25+ year old knives from home, extravagently bought as a poor student: Wusthof Trident chef’s, bread and paring knives. They served their purpose well.

Four years ago I upgraded the chef’s knife to a super extravagant Miyabi 5000MCD67 Black 8" (20cm) Gyutoh Chef's Knife. Cooking is a great pleasure for me, as is using good utensils, particularly as almost everything on board is processed my hand (with the exception of using a stick mixer). Being so restricted with space on board is the other reason I justify going for quality not quantity :).

While I was researching knives at the time it repeatedly appeared that the best value knife was the Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's knife. The price is low-mid range price.

SWL

Dinner preparations tonight:

Oli3EQm.jpg

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
Hi Zing
The big problem is that knives that can be sharpened easily and keep their edge well tend to have a high carbon content and these will rust in a marine environment.

I buy knives with lifetime use in mind, which is not necessarily what cruisers want on board. When we first started full time cruising 14 years ago I brought three 20+ year old knives from home: Wusthof Trident chef’s, bread and paring knives. They served their purpose well.

Four years ago I upgraded the chef’s knife to a super extravagant Miyabi 5000MCD67 Black 8" (20cm) Gyutoh Chef's Knife. Cooking is a great pleasure for me, as is using good utensils, particularly as almost everything on board is processed my hand (with the exception of using a stick mixer). Being so restricted with space on board is the other reason I justify going for quality not quantity :).

While I was researching knives at the time it repeatedly appeared that the best value knife was the Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's knife. The price is low-mid range price.

SWL

Thanks. Nice pic.

Very Chefy. That damascus style looks great.

I've actually got the Victorinox one you mention. It's my main knife, but not all that great. I'm forever sharpening it, but sometimes I'm happy it isn't that sharp. The ultra sharp ones can do a lot of damage in a flash.

I've got a really old carbon steel one too, sharp as anything and like you say, rusty. I've tried ceramic, but can't get that excited about them. A pain to sharpen also. In fact I've got lots, but none are excellent. I may treat myself to one of those.

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site
Thanks. Nice pic.

Very Chefy. That damascus style looks great.

I've actually got the Victorinox one you mention. It's my main knife, but not all that great. I'm forever sharpening it, but sometimes I'm happy it isn't that sharp. The ultra sharp ones can do a lot of damage in a flash.

I've got a really old carbon steel one too, sharp as anything and like you say, rusty. I've tried ceramic, but can't get that excited about them. A pain to sharpen also. In fact I've got lots, but none are excellent. I may treat myself to one of those.

The first few weeks of using the Miyabi I barely had to look at it before needing to reach for a bandaid. It has bluntened just nicely now, while still being razor sharp :). My husband sharpens it for me quite easily to a decent level with DMT diamond sharpening stones.

The only ceramic knife I have is pocket knife. I needed to send that off to be professionally sharpened, which now puts me off using it much.

SWL

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I've got a really old carbon steel one too, sharp as anything and like you say, rusty. A pain to sharpen also. In fact I've got lots, but none are excellent. I may treat myself to one of those.
May I also suggest Zwilling kitchen knives, or for that matter anything made in Solingen :D I have used (and sharpened, honed etc) straightedge razors for years, Dovo Kama Puma all excellent quality (but carbon steel), Zwilling made one in stainless steel which was rather comparable and did not rust; I bought a number of other brands too but none ever close to the quality of these Solingen blades. The Zwilling kitchen knives can easily be kept sharp with a rod, no need for stones (happily so, I use stones for a couple of Japanese knives -single bevel, deba and yanagiba- and it's so long I hardly use them).

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
May I also suggest Zwilling kitchen knives, or for that matter anything made in Solingen :D I have used (and sharpened, honed etc) straightedge razors for years, Dovo Kama Puma all excellent quality (but carbon steel), Zwilling made one in stainless steel which was rather comparable and did not rust; I bought a number of other brands too but none ever close to the quality of these Solingen blades. The Zwilling kitchen knives can easily be kept sharp with a rod, no need for stones (happily so, I use stones for a couple of Japanese knives -single bevel, deba and yanagiba- and it's so long I hardly use them).

Seconded. I’ve got an almost full set (mislaid the very handy thin (vegetable) cleaver) which I’ve had for more than twenty years. And I do cook. I’d just like to agree with @Seaworthy Lass’s remark that on a boat you need the best quality.

Seaworthy Lass

Visit site

Seconded. I’ve got an almost full set (mislaid the very handy thin (vegetable) cleaver) which I’ve had for more than twenty years. And I do cook. I’d just like to agree with @Seaworthy Lass’s remark that on a boat you need the best quality.

I googled “Wusthof vs Zwilling-Henckels” and came up with “Two shades of greatness“:
Wusthof vs. Henckels: Compare the Great German Kitchen Knives

Also discovered:
Solingen is known as the “City of Blades” due to its long storied history of manufacturing blades for swords, knives, scissors and razors dating back to Medieval times. Adding to its legacy as a European smithing town, Solingen has discovered blacksmith smelters dating back 2000 years.

You can’t knock anything that passes the test of time :).

SWL

michael_w

Visit site
For cooking, a Global vegetable knife is the dog's danglies. cut, dice, etc then pick up all the chopped stuff like a croupier! All without added fingertips.
Global-Knives-G-Series-18cm-Vegetable-Knife-G5-4622_large.jpg

If you're the cook, go on treat yourself. you won't regret it. Much, much better than the standard chef's knife.

Zing

Visit site
I googled “Wusthof vs Zwilling-Henckels” and came up with “Two shades of greatness“:
Wusthof vs. Henckels: Compare the Great German Kitchen Knives

Also discovered:
Solingen is known as the “City of Blades” due to its long storied history of manufacturing blades for swords, knives, scissors and razors dating back to Medieval times. Adding to its legacy as a European smithing town, Solingen has discovered blacksmith smelters dating back 2000 years.

You can’t knock anything that passes the test of time :).

SWL
I just went shopping for knives. It seems you are a high maintenance lady. ?.That’s a £400 knife you have. I’ll see if I’m good, maybe Santa will get me one.

Miyabi by Zwilling 5000MCD 67 chef's knife 24 cm, 34401-241

Cardinal

Visit site
Hi Zing

I buy knives with lifetime use in mind, which is not necessarily what cruisers want on board. When we first started full time cruising 14 years ago I brought three 25+ year old knives from home, extravagently bought as a poor student: Wusthof Trident chef’s, bread and paring knives. They served their purpose well.

SWL

Oli3EQm.jpg
Since this thread has very usefully drifted from dyneema scissors I shall not apologise for enquiring as to whether you can recommend a decent cordless stick mixer? If not, I shall be having to use my cordless drill with the base of a mains mixer.