Android plotter app recommend?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Navionics .... it just works. I used a cheap tablet case to hold the tablet, cut the front flap off, strengthened the back and drilled 4 countersunk holes in it. I screwed the case over the hole left by my obsolete and ancient ex-chart plotter and the tablet could be simply clipped in and out or used in-situ.

The tablet was connected to the boats NMEA2000 network with a wifi gateway and navionics could use my real boat data, displayed AIS, depth, speed through the water ... not much to setup either. Could also use the tablet to display instruments and other boat data like my Victron components.

Looked like this ....

Electronic.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
I said years ago to anyone who listened - Tablets will come of age and become the new standard ... I think we are seeing that unfold.

Not only as nav aids - but in cars for Carplay ... replacing bulky Notebook PC's for travel ... Tablets are no longer the game-boy subs ..

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
That's not the complete picture; the issue was that the developer of marine navigator wouldn't alter his app to comply with Google's updated requirements for Play Store apps, so that it would continue to work. Toys and pram.

Pye_End

Visit site
That's not the complete picture; the issue was that the developer of marine navigator wouldn't alter his app to comply with Google's updated requirements for Play Store apps, so that it would continue to work. Toys and pram.
'Background:

Dear Mr. Bryant,

Sorry for all the trouble you had with the lisence verification and sorry for my late answer. I was abroad on an conference and didn't check my email frequently.I did some research. I can reproduce the problem on Android 6.0. Indeed, the problem is related to HTTPS/SSL. Android operating systems prior to 7.1.1 don't trust ISRG Root X1 which is required for validation of Let's encrypt certificates used by many web hosting providers.
The problem is well-known. Therefore, a fix was provided using some kind of cross-signing. Unfortunately, the cross-sign expired in the early 2024. Android devices older 7.1.1 are not longer compatible with let's encrypt certificates by default.
There is no simple solution for this problem from my side. Maybe my webhoster (goneo) will provide a solution in the future. In the meantime I recommend that we should not sell Marine Navigator to customers which intent to install Marine Navigator on Android devices running operating systems older than 7.1.1 (7.1.1 was released in October 2016).
Please let me know, if this is fine with you.

Best regards,
Ronald Koenig'

IDK if he would find 'toys and pram' a bit disingenuous, but I can confirm that their current recommendation of installing outside the Playstore environment seems to work fine.