Dremmel woes

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Hi all

I bought a dremmel a few years back for a soecific job. It performed well at the time, but little use since. Its been sat in the shed in its box since. I took it out to use it and it worked for a few minutes, then stopped.

I'm very unimpressed with the quick breakdown.

I would like to replace it, as they are occassiinally really handy

Is there a better type/make? Or was I just unlucky with mine?

iamtjc

Visit site
I formed the impression when I was looking at Dremmel type devices a few years back that Proxxon ones were more robust (at a price). I bought a Proxxon and have been pleased with it.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
You can almost certainly mend it quite easily. Open it up and you will find the windings on the stator. Almost certainly one of the very fine wires has either broken or slipped out of the slot that hold it. Either put the wire back in or remake the connection with another part of the wire.
There are videos on youtube that describe it better than me.
I've fixed mine twice now, it's an apalling design.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Check the brushes, they are a consumable on these tools and need to be inspected, cleaned and replaced regularly. It's entirely possible there's nothing wrong with it.
Yes, i checked thw brushes, which looked perfect. Like brand new.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
You can almost certainly mend it quite easily. Open it up and you will find the windings on the stator. Almost certainly one of the very fine wires has either broken or slipped out of the slot that hold it. Either put the wire back in or remake the connection with another part of the wire.
There are videos on youtube that describe it better than me.
I've fixed mine twice now, it's an apalling design.
Yes, i took it apart but all 4 rotar wires were intact

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I've had two in my life. The first was Sears and lasted 60 years (it was my grandfathers). The insulation was crumbling and the design was obsolete. The second was Dremel (inherited from brother-in-law) and is about 35. I use them every few months, sometimes for a few moments, sometimes for something considerable. I have a pneumatic die grinder (newish) and electric angle grinder (30 years) for HD jobs, including fiberglass work and welding. I also have a Dremel oscillating tool (15 years).

They don't seem frail to me. Just bad luck.

B27

Visit site
I have a cordless li-ion Dremel, it has been faultless for (at a guess ) >10 years of use and abuse. It was not cheap when new, but it was a gift.
I've inherited a couple of cheap mains imitations, they are useful, but noisy and the drag of the cable can be annoying on such a light tool.
These days, there are plenty of cordless 'dremeloids' from about £15.
Personally, I have a dremel Router attachment which I use, so I'd get a compatible one with the screw thread mount.

Pay your money, take your chance.
Often you can get a kit, enough accessories and consumables that you don't have to care if the tool doesn't last forever.

penberth3

Visit site
I've had two in my life. The first was Sears and lasted 60 years (it was my grandfathers). The insulation was crumbling and the design was obsolete. The second was Dremel (inherited from brother-in-law) and is about 35. I use them every few months, sometimes for a few moments, sometimes for something considerable. I have a pneumatic die grinder (newish) and electric angle grinder (30 years) for HD jobs, including fiberglass work and welding. I also have a Dremel oscillating tool (15 years).

They don't seem frail to me. Just bad luck.

Your antiques won't seem frail, they'll be much better quality that anything you can buy today. Like so many things now, "Dremel" is just another name stuck on imported shite.

Yngmar

Visit site
Dremel is utter rubbish. After mine broke the 5th time (1x warranty replacement, 3x diy repairs) I threw it away in rage and bought a Parkside die grinder for €30 from Lidl. Much more powerful and very robust. Had it for years now and handled every abuse. Same size chuck as Dremel, plus a 6mm one for bigger stuff.

Three of the Dremel failures were stator windings melting from being a cheaply designed piece of :poop:

Refueler

Visit site
Dremel is utter rubbish. After mine broke the 5th time (1x warranty replacement, 3x diy repairs) I threw it away in rage and bought a Parkside die grinder for €30 from Lidl. Much more powerful and very robust. Had it for years now and handled every abuse. Same size chuck as Dremel, plus a 6mm one for bigger stuff.

Three of the Dremel failures were stator windings melting from being a cheaply designed piece of :poop:

I keep looking at Parkside gear - but what puts me off ... the batterys for the portable look like Makita batterys - but are not compatible ...

I have a bunch og Makita compatible small gear .. 6" .. 8" battety chainsaws etc ... with a box full of batterys .... if Parkside could use those - then I'd be buying all Partkside ... but I already have two formats of batterys (made mistake with one item) ... I don't want a third.

Stemar

Visit site
I have an Aldidl (can't remember which) copy. It's well over 10 years old and comes out a couple of times a year, including last week. It's still going.

In my experience, their tools are far better than the price suggests they ought to be. I wouldn't get them for professional or even serious amateur use but, as "the tool for the job" that'll get DIY use afterwards they're fine.

Yngmar

Visit site
I keep looking at Parkside gear - but what puts me off ... the batterys for the portable look like Makita batterys - but are not compatible ...

I have a bunch og Makita compatible small gear .. 6" .. 8" battety chainsaws etc ... with a box full of batterys .... if Parkside could use those - then I'd be buying all Partkside ... but I already have two formats of batterys (made mistake with one item) ... I don't want a third.

It's a plug-in die grinder, so no battery worries in this case.

As everyone is fed up with manufacturers trying to lock you in with intentionally incompatible battery packs, there's now loads of battery pack adapters from brand X to brand Y on Ali, found a Makita battery to Parkside tool one here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006508176309.html

As the safety features are internal to the battery packs, these should be unproblematic. Don't be confused by the 18V / 20V difference, it's just marketing, they're all 18.5V nominal (5x3.7V).

Refueler

Visit site
It's a plug-in die grinder, so no battery worries in this case.

As everyone is fed up with manufacturers trying to lock you in with intentionally incompatible battery packs, there's now loads of battery pack adapters from brand X to brand Y on Ali, found a Makita battery to Parkside tool one here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006508176309.html

As the safety features are internal to the battery packs, these should be unproblematic. Don't be confused by the 18V / 20V difference, it's just marketing, they're all 18.5V nominal (5x3.7V).

I know what cells are in them ... its the case of Nominal Volts vs Actual Charged Volts ..... quirk of Li market !!

Interesting about adaptors - never bothered to look ... maybe I'll open the old wallet next time in Lidl ...

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I have used the cordless models, and I think that might be part of the problem. They attempt to shave weight so that it is still light in the hand, which makes it under powered and prone to heating. Keep the cord. I don't understand the modern obsession with cordless everything.

I think the other problem may be use and run time. I only use a Dremel (light duty high speed rotary tool of any brand) for the lightest work, because it is a crafts tool. I use something more suited to the job for heavier things. IMO, there are very few uses for a Dremel on a boat.