Dremmel woes

DownWest

Visit site
Bought a B&Q corded one about 16 yrs ago. €20 and it has done the odd job ever since. Money well spent. Came with a big bunch of bits and a flex extension.

B27

Visit site
I have used the cordless models, and I think that might be part of the problem. They attempt to shave weight so that it is still light in the hand, which makes it under powered and prone to heating. Keep the cord. I don't understand the modern obsession with cordless everything.

I think the other problem may be use and run time. I only use a Dremel (light duty high speed rotary tool of any brand) for the lightest work, because it is a crafts tool. I use something more suited to the job for heavier things. IMO, there are very few uses for a Dremel on a boat.
Since I got a Li-Ion 75mm disc cutter/grinder, I'm using that for jobs which used to be a bit heavy for the dremel, like cutting SS machine screws to length.

Most things I've ever done with the dremel could be done by something else, either hand tools or bigger power tools.
There are loads of jobs where you might use a dremel, because it does a fair job of standing for a lot of different tools.
In the last couple of weeks I've only used it to sharpen a few drill bits and open out some gelcoat damage.

Since I don't have mains on the boat, cordless is good!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Cutting off screws is asking a lot of a Dremel, IMO. Either a heavier grinder/die grinder, or bolt cutters. The ads they run, showing it doing everything, are excessive puffing, all too common in advertising. Though I have done that, I use it almost exclusively for very light deburring. That's probably why they last; I don't stress them.

I've never worried about the power problem, since I'm either at dock or have a large enough inverter.

penberth3

Visit site
Bought a B&Q corded one about 16 yrs ago. €20 and it has done the odd job ever since. Money well spent. Came with a big bunch of bits and a flex extension.

Again, you're talking about a product from 16 years ago. Quality has taken a dive since then.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Funnily enough the Chinese offbrand ones that are visibly obvious clones of old (90s) Dremels seem to be about as good as the originals (ie - not great, but ok) but new Drems can be very flimsy.

I'm very happy with my Milwaukee 12v brushless die grinder, though time will tell whether I can keep working it as hard as I do...

DownWest

Visit site
Funnily enough the Chinese offbrand ones that are visibly obvious clones of old (90s) Dremels seem to be about as good as the originals (ie - not great, but ok) but new Drems can be very flimsy.

I'm very happy with my Milwaukee 12v brushless die grinder, though time will tell whether I can keep working it as hard as I do...
Prob the answer is that any tool is a part of a range in ones kit. Use within it's limits and you will get good service. Push it too hard and....

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Prob the answer is that any tool is a part of a range in ones kit. Use within it's limits and you will get good service. Push it too hard and....

OK, but on some tools the limits are so limiting I'll regret bothering with them at all, and on others, the limits are so broad that I get too used to them and overreach.

Rappey

Visit site
Could it be that you could end up putting the wrong battery on the charger by using an adapter ?