Dogs on pontoons

Momac

Visit site
We are part of the wider visiting pack of several dogs and their human pack leaders but we don't own a dog and have ever owned one.
Dogs we have met before a few times certainly remember us and want to greet us - even if its been months since we last met them.

A dog treat (given only with the owners prior consent) may help to may the dog your pal. Or simply introduce yourself to the owner and the dog will see you are a friend of the pack. Say hello to the dog also . Next time the dog may want to say hello rather than defend his leader against an intruder

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Wouldnt it be nice for a change if these type of threads brought out the tolerators as well. We each have likes and dislikes, but far better we respect we arent all the same, and it is this diversity that makes for the colour of life.

Can I put down a vote for tolerance?
Bob hope of that happening these days. Im not sure when the age of "toleration" was but I think it was some time last century.

Lodestone

Visit site
I just wish folk would use a lead more - not just on the pontoons (usually a marina requirement anyway) but on the public highway too. It's lazy not to, and forces everyone else to deal with the dog's behaviour other than the owner.

johnalison

Visit site
I just wish folk would use a lead more - not just on the pontoons (usually a marina requirement anyway) but on the public highway too. It's lazy not to, and forces everyone else to deal with the dog's behaviour other than the owner.
I read somewhere in the paper that it was a criminal offence to allow a dog alongside a highway without a lead but have been unable to confirm this. The wording of the legislation seemed a bit vague the last time I looked, but in any case it is antisocial. The other thing is the belief by some dog-owners that shouting at their hound will stop it when it is running towards me and clearly hell-bent on eating me. Yes, I'm all in favour of tolerance, but why is it always people like me who seldom cause a nuisance who are expected to do all the tolerating?

ip485

Visit site
"Your local authority has the power to ask you to keep your dog on a lead when walking along ‘designated’ roads. A designated road is one your local authority has chosen as such, and the section of road should be marked with signs.
While there is no countrywide blanket ban on walking dogs off-lead along roads, you should keep your dog on a lead when walking by any road to prevent accidents."

xyachtdave

Visit site
Dogs off leads is an issue, 2 reasons.

1) One man's reassurance of 'Don't worry he's friendly and doesn't bite,' doesn't help much if you're petrified of dogs and it's jumping up at you.

2) Turds.

The amount of dog turds about doesn't correspond with the number of irresponsible dog owners...there are way more turds than irresponsible dog owners.

Walking your dog and texting/dicking about on social media/YBW/email etc appears to be the norm....owner distracted and the cheeky dog squeezes one out unnoticed on the pontoon.

Responsible dog owner...'Harumph! someone hasn't cleared up after their dog!'

It was your dog.

stranded

Visit site
I don’t know if any more on pontoons as have been there relatively rarely recently but dog sales are on the up as are prices. Yapping dogs are equally as annoying as whining children and toddlers and mobo playing loud music late at night. It’s all a noise thing really but dogs do bark occasionally like children cry -it’s just the duration of such activity and what triggers the noise . No excuse for loud music though after midnight though .
There is a perfectly good excuse for loud noise if it’s in revenge for others’ dog/child/whatever which has been causing nuisance - trouble is it’s like cluster bombing - lots of collateral damage.

Quackers

Visit site
Dogs off leads is an issue, 2 reasons.

1) One man's reassurance of 'Don't worry he's friendly and doesn't bite,' doesn't help much if you're petrified of dogs and it's jumping up at you.

Spot on, my wife had an unfortunate incident with a dog when she was a child. If someone wants a pet, fine, but don't inflict them on everyone else.

Babylon

Visit site
I've just read out some of the comments above to Neville. His reply was:

"WTF dad!! We've both worked our balls off [he still has his] for the last twenty months so that I understand both the general rules and boundaries and also your specific intent in any given random situation. My health and happiness is based entirely upon being able to be off the lead running around expending energy and using my brain [i.e. nose]. Obviously in distracting and potentially dangerous places like towns etc I'm happy to be on the lead for my own safety... but open countryside?! I always now glance at you for guidance before approaching any strangers, as I fully appreciate that there are a minority of people who are anxious about dogs. I'm almost perfectly consistent at understanding the difference between "heel" and "stay close" [near me but not at heel] and I've learnt that "off you go" doesn't mean into the next county! I appreciate that sheep don't enjoy being chased for my own fun or edification and have undertaken to never ever do it again like I did when I was a younger puppy ignorant of the distress it causes. I don't jump up at people. I lie down when told to, even at a distance from you, and wait until I'm called back or given the command to go off again. I never bark, except just one medium bark when I hear the postman at the door... just in case you hadn't heard him yourself of course! I never go upstairs or onto the furniture, nor onto any bunks when aboard. I take great care to only toilet deep in undergrowth, not on the main footpath. In other sorts of public places I always watch you bag it and carry it until you find a bin. When I was a puppy and couldn't hold my bowels especially on a long pontoon (or our own isolated mooring pontoon) you always brought the ship's bucket and thoroughly cleaned everything off. When you're eating I've learnt to lie on the floor until you've finished - I might look at you and envy your banquet, but I never beg. When you've finished and its my turn to eat, I sit and wait while you prepare my bowl and put it on the floor, and won't ever start until you say so. I'm a lovely, friendly, biddable little blighter with a tail that never stops wagging, and you can testify that I've never snarled nor have you ever seen any hackles of mine go up. But I'm no wuss! I can certainly hold my own in non-stop play with much bigger dogs, and also have a particular knack of diffusing situations with more macho dogs.

Lots of people might think you're a frikkin control-freak, but you've given me a fantastic start in life with great freedom within clearly understood boundaries.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
The amount of dog turds about doesn't correspond with the number of irresponsible dog owners...there are way more turds than irresponsible dog owners.
True. There are the turds on the pontoon, then there are the owners of the turd producers.

Personally, I like dogs, well, most dogs. Little yappy, snarly things no. Big aggressive things, no. But from my non-owning viewpoint of near total ignorance, I suspect both are more the fault of the owners than the poor mutt.

AFAIK, I've no objection to friendly dogs wandering around, but I do expect the owners to understand that not everyone is like me

Scomber

Visit site
Those spring loaded long leash things make me smile , people still have em fully out with dogs sniffing round you etc Then say " sorry about that". Press the f**king button??

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
I've just read out some of the comments above to Neville. His reply was:

"WTF dad!! We've both worked our balls off [he still has his] for the last twenty months so that I understand both the general rules and boundaries and also your specific intent in any given random situation. My health and happiness is based entirely upon being able to be off the lead running around expending energy and using my brain [i.e. nose]. Obviously in distracting and potentially dangerous places like towns etc I'm happy to be on the lead for my own safety... but open countryside?! I always now glance at you for guidance before approaching any strangers, as I fully appreciate that there are a minority of people who are anxious about dogs. I'm almost perfectly consistent at understanding the difference between "heel" and "stay close" [near me but not at heel] and I've learnt that "off you go" doesn't mean into the next county! I appreciate that sheep don't enjoy being chased for my own fun or edification and have undertaken to never ever do it again like I did when I was a younger puppy ignorant of the distress it causes. I don't jump up at people. I lie down when told to, even at a distance from you, and wait until I'm called back or given the command to go off again. I never bark, except just one medium bark when I hear the postman at the door... just in case you hadn't heard him yourself of course! I never go upstairs or onto the furniture, nor onto any bunks when aboard. I take great care to only toilet deep in undergrowth, not on the main footpath. In other sorts of public places I always watch you bag it and carry it until you find a bin. When I was a puppy and couldn't hold my bowels especially on a long pontoon (or our own isolated mooring pontoon) you always brought the ship's bucket and thoroughly cleaned everything off. When you're eating I've learnt to lie on the floor until you've finished - I might look at you and envy your banquet, but I never beg. When you've finished and its my turn to eat, I sit and wait while you prepare my bowl and put it on the floor, and won't ever start until you say so. I'm a lovely, friendly, biddable little blighter with a tail that never stops wagging, and you can testify that I've never snarled nor have you ever seen any hackles of mine go up. But I'm no wuss! I can certainly hold my own in non-stop play with much bigger dogs, and also have a particular knack of diffusing situations with more macho dogs.

Lots of people might think you're a frikkin control-freak, but you've given me a fantastic start in life with great freedom within clearly understood boundaries.

Thank you.
All that and he lick his own willy.

dgadee

Visit site
My crew does not like dogs. I don't like dog fouling. But you can't go anywhere these days without either of these. Even pontoons.

Dogs should be kept under control, but they are not. A friend's brother died when a dog jumped up on him, he fell and hit his head.

Everywhere you go you see signs about dog fouling. But you see even more dog turds than signs.

I can't wait for the fashion to die off. Get a tattoo instead.