Dogs on boats

rosipeter

Visit site
Does anyone out there livaboard with a dog? we are thinking of getting one for our 32ft boat, and wondered how people cope with the practicalities? Any particular breeds like living aboard?

Forbsie

Visit site
My mate has a labrador aboard and she loves it. Another mate had an english bull terrier and he ran away.

sailingcatlady

Visit site
I think that an important consideration is the part of the world you're going to be cruising in. If it's somewhere hot, then your dog must either be a naturally short-coated breed, or you must keep the dog clipped.
I had a cat on board, and this was very easy, but I observed that those cruisers with a dog would be surreptitiously loading their animal into the dinghy (often with much difficulty) very, very early in the morning, to take it ashore for its morning run.
I think dogs are much more difficult to have aboard. However, they do make excellent burglar/visitor alarms!
There's another thing, though; I have just remembered seeing a family dinghy ashore, leaving their dog on board. This poor animal was so distraught at being left that it jumped into the water and attempted to catch them up by swimming. Dogs can suffer terribly from anxiety separation; this leads them to bark non-stop while their unaware owners are ashore.

I'm not anti-dog; I have 2 cats and 3 dogs. But I do think dogs are more difficult to have on a boat, unless they are one of those big breeds, those very laid-back characters. So laid back they might even welcome an intruder? !!

Liz_I

Visit site
Do NOT get a big dog, you have a relatively small boat. If you cannot get ashore, what about excersise! We have a SSCSM who adopted us 7 years ago in Almerimar. Longest time at sea to present is 7 days (Canaries to Azores) no problem with the toilet aspect, if this is what you were alluding to. Dogs as opposed to bitches are easier in that respect. He will pee quite normally, we hang an old rag off the guard wires and he also uses the mast. For the larger items we have a mock turf mat set on the aft deck, after use this is attached to a rope and thrown overboard. He taught us to use a canvas shopping bag as his 'transport' into and out of the dinghy. His idea, anyone out there that knows us and 'himself' will realise who we are!! Obviously it would be smart to start with a pup or very young dog. Short haired breeds are probably better. Do not advise clipping, dogs get skin cancer, the hair is an insulation. They acclimatise very quickly and will be active early am, sleep/siesta in the heat of the day and have more fun in the evenings.

Simes

Visit site
Hi,

We have just go through the enjoyable process of choosing which dog to get and then selecting the puppy (he chose us) and then introducing him to life on board. We chose a small Terrier (Boarder Terrier) Short haired, intelligent and easy to teach / clean up after. He has taken to life on board with great ease.
We have a couple of Turtle mats to act as toilet areas and a supply of poo bags. He has a harness and a seperate life jacket.

No real problems, it is mainly use being trained by him.

Fantastic company and great fun.

Choose well and enjoy.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Just one thing to consider - if you do get a lab or other large Dog, do give some thought to getting the dog out of the water & onboard - they luv to swim.
A wet 25 to 40 kilo Lab is very difficult to get onboard, always get him to wear a harness with a handle on the back, available from most chanderlers.
Ben%20in%20cockpit.JPG

have fun

poter

Brierley

Visit site
We have a Jack Russell terrier bitch who will eventually live aboard with us (we are only in the 2nd year of our 10-years-to-retirement plan). She was first introduced to the boat at 8 weeks old and we actually extended our boat season so she could come out a couple of times before the winter. She has her own life jacket with a big handle on the back and is clipped onto the boat at all times when under way.

We have a piece of astro turf in a seed tray for her toilet, though she needs a lot of exercise so other half finally got permission for a new dinghy plus an outboard for going ashore frequently!

Dogs are very adaptable if you get them used to things early. We got our puppy very used to being picked up (her first few trips out were in an old handbag as she hadn't had her jabs) as that will be essential on a boat and she is used to a variety of ways of being transported (bike basket, dinghy, dog cage in car).

Dogs only get separation anxiety if you let them be boss - contrary to popular opinion, they don't bark because they think mum and dad have left them, they bark because they think they are the parent and their child/children (you!) have wandered off and the dog goes frantic not knowing when their babies who they are supposed to be protecting will be back. If you are Alpha and the dog is lower in the hierarchy, it will not be so concerned about being left as it will trust you to be in charge.

Gun dogs such as spaniels, retrievers and labradors will probably love the water but you may have trouble keeping them in the boat. Smaller breeds such as terriers are very feisty, adaptable and more inclined to keep their paws dry but do need a lot of training and reinforcement of the fact that you are boss, not them.

Have fun!

craw4d2003

Visit site
We have a cocker spaniel on our 50ft Colvic. She loves living aboard, and gets so excited when going ashore in the dinghy. If you get a puppy you can train them to toilet on some astra turf and then just give it a good rinsing overboard to clean off. Taz will wee on deck if she has too, but will not poop, so long journeys are problem for her. We see lots of people travelling with their dogs, and they are great companions aboard and good burglar deterents. I would recommend a spaniel as they love water and are not too big for your size boat. Good luck

rosipeter

Visit site
Astroturf - Brilliant idea! We are thinking about a Jack Russell, but a border terrier is a good idea too. Thanks for all your posts, we will let you know when we finally get one.

PhilipF

Visit site
A couple in a boat the same size as yours keep a pair of Newfoundlands on it. We asked them if any particular reason for choosing this breed. They explained that they had done research on the best type that would suit living on boats. Newfoundlands were chosen due to their low metabolic rate.

These are really large animals. Dogs can weigh 11 stones, and bitches 10.5 The pub that is closest to Cobbs Quay Poole has two at these sizes. Their owner tells me that Poole has had a close relationship with Newfoundland, and this breed came into the country through the port.

Thats her story anyway!