Does anyone know?

BrendanS

Visit site
Does anyone know what the purpose of this ship is, and the unusual structure

harbor-cruise-ship-medium.jpg

JKay

Visit site
Re: Hello Colin! nm

He cannot even see his 'puter wiv them goggles on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers Joe

landaftaf

Visit site
although listed as a general cargo vessel it is in fact a bulk carrier. the gantries - which look to be part of the ships structure, are in fact on the quay. they probably suspend either a suction pipe if discharging or a conveyor belt if loading. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dyflin

Visit site
Bulk carriers have a series of cargo holds along the deck (we had nine on the cape size bulkers I sailed on). So they look like this:

yunmau.jpg

Some will have some sort of self loading/discharging equipment onboard and are commonly known as geared bulkers:

Bulk_Carrier.jpg

bulk_amelita.gif

But your picture is taken from an angle which makes it look like the loading gear is on the deck, but would really look more like this in reality.

loading.jpg

Colin_S

Visit site
A very full and informative reply Dyflin, well done. However can I point you towards this thread which will explain the posting of the original question which, in fact, was subsequently edited by the poster to the pic / question that you now see. Thus you have probably wasted 5 minutes of your life composing and researching your reply and, if I were you, I would be seeking recompense from Mr S for that waste of your time regardless of the fact that if I hadn't started the thread linked above, Brendan wouldn't have started this thread.

Your friend and sometime shyte stirrer, Colin /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dyflin

Visit site
You'd be amazed at how many stupid questions people ask you about ships. You get used to the stupid people, but never the questions /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

He'll probably go back to the lounge for a moan and a bitch now...