do people actually get back in to boating?

big_si

web.mac.com
How many people sell up, say they'll get another boat in a few years and actually do?

A lot of things can change in a couple of years or so, but how many people manage to keep swmbo sweet for that period and get a boat again?

Nautorius

Visit site
I would say that within 10 years approx 50% do. However less than 5 Years only about 25% do.

It took me 5 Days to get back into boating.....mind you I am an addict!

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

maybh1

Visit site
We did - sold our first boat to fund the business 20 years ago.

We joined a sub aqua club and went diving when we were boatless and then 5 years later we were able to purchase a bigger boat and have not been out of boating since.

May
xx

AdeOlly

Visit site
Mate of mine just got back in after being out of it for 15 years.... In part due to the fact there's no SWMBO in his world imo!

landlockedpirate

Visit site
We sold our boat in Spring 2005, I was quite happy cadging rides off other formites for a while.

By Autumn 2006 I was getting desperate, I even resorted to riding the Mersey ferry at lunch times /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I bought Aquilla in December 2006, which means I was boatless for 18 months.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Yep. We sold the T37 in May last year because I picked up an overseas contract; the plan was always to get another boat when the opportunity arose; it did so in March and we got the P42 at the beginning of last month. Perhaps not the few years gap that you're talking about, but definitely a gap which was indeterminate at the point where I sold the T37.

Cheers
Jimmy

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Yes they do, ive not boated since the end of summer 2006 I sold my Fairline Corniche last may, now im in the process of buying a Princess 410, its sea trial a week on friday hopefully all will be ok and she will be handed over the same day.

To be honest with the weather last year I didnt miss much, I went to majorca twice last year spent 10 days with Roger Whittall of Whittall davits fame aboard his broom ocean 42.
Am really looking forward to getting back into it.

big_si

web.mac.com
Our boat is now for sale and the 'plan' is to indeed get another in a couple of years time or so, something Nordic maybe...

In the interim Shelley and i are already talking about chartering either in CIs or Med every now and again.

RogerRat

Visit site
Short answer is yes as we did after a long lay off. I think it depends on the reasons for giving it up.

1. No funds
2. Bad fright in weather or fire etc.
3. Family
4. Husband & Wife team can't agree on boating or shopping.

to name but a few. With each of these reasons the timescale to return will vary but if you're into boats, I think it's inevitable! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I'll add another to that list.

5. Terrible new boat ownership experience.

That's what happened to us, but we're back 18 months later. Did have a RIB in-between (still have it actually). I think if you love boating it's in your blood.

big_si

web.mac.com
i do love it, and even though we have 4 lakes outside our front door neither of them would offer particurarly exciting cruising grounds!!

Our funds are (and its what i keep telling myself) being diverted to another cause for the moment.

I'll kick Shelleys arse if she says in a couple of year, "actually lets do this instead"!!!

i have been window shopping for the next one already, but then i guess we all do that, don't we!!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I didn't really boat much between 1989 and 1999 in my own boat, but did hire narrowboats 1 or 2 times per year. My Leander sailing cruiser had to be sent to Valhalla in true Viking style in 1989 and my then g/f was adamantly not into sailing dinghies. To be fair she tolerated the Leander as a place to be stationary rather than any form of mobile device.

I got back into boating as an escape from a failing marriage in 1999, bought a new to me motor cruiser in 2000 as a place to go with the children who were too small and numerous for a sailing dinghy when one is arguing over residence and was thus back into boating.

If I had not still got the dinghy I suspect that the motorboat would not have happened. If we stopped and sold up now I doubt we could afford to return until we retire (planned to be to an afloat life). So we hang on as best we can.

IanH

Visit site
Re: God I hope so

Just not enough cash at the moment and swmbo and I cannot agree on compromise. I'd have a tinbath and an outboard she wants something that'll happily cross the Irish sea and has accommodation so no ribs. Sulk sulk sulk /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Re: God I hope so

[ QUOTE ]
Just not enough cash at the moment and swmbo and I cannot agree on compromise. I'd have a tinbath and an outboard she wants something that'll happily cross the Irish sea and has accommodation so no ribs. Sulk sulk sulk /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cabin rib?
:)