Disadvantages of petrol (inboard)

G

Vire ?

Older ones are 6hp in 3 versions .....

Direct drive and no clutch.
Clutch and fwd only.
Fwd - N - Atern reduction cone gear and clutch.

Later are 7hp or 12hp .... which are gearbox jobs.

Interested to see a Vire 2hp ..... never heard of one.

Onto Vire and typicals :>

Prone to poor spark and starting - so some people incl. myself have fitted small car HT coils to boost.
Main problem when they stand for long periods is the corrosion in the crankcase leading to failed seals and loss of fuel transfer. If it needs flooding or lots of fuel to start and throttle is hesitant / does not open right up full throttle - then seals most likely stuffed.

They are actually a good little engine when looked after ... and were extremely popular in 60 - 70's .... Lack of care led to leaks and demise. They were economical and quite powerful little blighters for their incredibly light / small size.

Replacing one is often a problem - as space they occupy and also shaft rotation doesn't suit later compact diesels ... Often you have to cut out and drop down bearers ... increase head-room of engine bay ... change direction of prop ... etc. - I know - I did it !!

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org
Re: Request for petrol explosion incident

[ QUOTE ]

Right, tell me, with proof, the last time a petrol boat exploded? And I mean exploded, not caught fire, burnt and sank

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most recent that probably fits your definition...
Family saved from cabin cruiser after explosion
May 12 2006
By Francis Batt (icberkshire.co.uk)
A FAMILY including two children narrowly escaped death when their cabin cruiser exploded into flames on Saturday morning.

I've seen the pictures. It looks like neighbouring boats had a reasonably narrow escape. The fire was nearly put out until the LPG cylinders started gassing-off and re-started the fire.

We have record of 21 fires/explosions so far this year, two very serious LPG related incidents and four linked to solid fuel stoves. Some we have no information about, but the rest are a mix of electrical, LPG, engine room (?) and arson.
regards
Rob@BSS Office

Tisme

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
We have record of 21 fires/explosions so far this year, two very serious LPG related incidents and four linked to solid fuel stoves. Some we have no information about, but the rest are a mix of electrical, LPG, engine room (?) and arson.
regards

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you are saying there. It sounds as if petrol doesn't figure highly in those incidents?

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you are saying there. It sounds as if petrol doesn't figure highly in those incidents?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like a couple so far are petrol related. I can also confirm that each year there seems to be at least one incident where a (petrol) boat has either left a refuelling point, just been refuelled or is being refuelled and exploded.

Apart from the causes previously mentioned, I forgot the domestic misues such as the fatal chip pan fire last year as well as another cooking related fire. Then there was one where clothing was being dried in the engine room.

Petrol, whether as a system failure or as an abused highly flammable substance, is a feature of our incident records, but it is just one of several.
regards