Digital charts

Chris R

Visit site
Anyone have a view on the best screen size for digital charts
am considering a 10 inch tablet but maybe a bigger laptop is better
thoughts please

Stemar

Visit site
Having spent far too much of my life staring at computer screens, the bigger the better. Having said that, I use my phone and an ageing Hudl. I could get bigger and more expensive, but I'll cry a lot less if the Hudl gets clattered or soaked than if it were an Ipad Pro

Plum

Visit site
Anyone have a view on the best screen size for digital charts
am considering a 10 inch tablet but maybe a bigger laptop is better
thoughts please
I use two 8inch tablets, a size I can live with, and gives me redundancy. I usually have one set to a small scale and the other to large scale, both with AIS. Also have the option to switch one to my tide app. I use the Marine Navigator app and charts form Visit My Harbour who allow two downloads for the one price.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Refueler

Visit site
I use an old Lowrance with 5" screen .... I also have a 10" Acer One I can display on ...

The Lowrance does an excellent job of plotting away during the trip ... but its size does mean I like to plan on the Acer or on one of my 15" computers where I can see dangers better ... then I transfer plan to the Lowrance. I did at some stages run a computer during trips - but then found the Lowrance was doing its job well enough.

If I was to go for a single unit for all ... then it would be 7" screen on a small - medium boat ... 10" or bigger on larger boat.

Given the number of Android / PC based plotters and chart viewers out there now ... you can have an excellent tablet based system without all the wires and gubbins that goes with fixed systems .... BUT of course you will lack the autopilot hook-up.

V1701

Visit site
A bigger determinant is how & where you plan to use it, i.e. a laptop is good for planning but if you want it to be viewable from the cockpit whilst sailing then it's of little use. Also worth thinking about redundancy. As an example I use navionics on a 7" tablet that's mounted so I can see and use use it from the cockpit. I have the same on at least one other device for redundancy and can do planning on a laptop using the web-based version. If you do use a tablet (or indeed a laptop) make sure your charging point can keep up with the amount of juice required. Hope that helps...

Visit site
Think higher resolution as well not just bigger.

You could have a 30" screen but if the resolution is only 1024x768 (possible on some chartplotters and waterproof, high brightness screens), you will see a lop less of the chart than a 16" screen that is 1920x1080 (even that resolution is very high)

Chris R

Visit site
Having spent far too much of my life staring at computer screens, the bigger the better. Having said that, I use my phone and an ageing Hudl. I could get bigger and more expensive, but I'll cry a lot less if the Hudl gets clattered or soaked than if it were an Ipad Pro

Good point thanks

johnalison

Visit site
Me too, and I agree it's too small.
A 10" tablet is fine if it's at the wheel.
I also have an e7 and it's fine. The power demand is less, and I would need to don spectacles whatever the size anyway. Of course, a larger one would be nice, but it would take more space and cost more. The refresh rate with modern units compared to old ones is so fast that scrolling around is painless and easy, and the touch screen also speeds things up, including zooming.

Refueler

Visit site
For anyone interested and willing to stray from the iPad / Samsung tablet etc. - Banggood has budget tablets that are fast .. high definition ... often with dual SIM capability ....... at prices that make your wallet smile.

I have two 10" tabs "Mediatek" ....... when my pal who's business is IT replaced the USB port in my oldest - he was amazed even for an old machine how good it was. When I handed him my later version - he went and bought one as well !!

Chris R

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments
Before I leave the thread does anyone have a view on the most accurate digital charts.
I have looked a few trial samples (not fully purchased ) and have found significant differences compared to an Imray paper chart For the same area (particularly with chart datum readings)

Gixer

Visit site
I recently did the same and after research went down the Navionics route. Yet to try it out in anger but impressed so far.

FYI this is what my ipad looks like on my chart table. Only showing as I did this on Sunday :)

IMG_1453.JPG

Chris R

Visit site
Thanks for the response Gixer
I haven’t actually spent on digital charts yet since I’m still looking
navionics seem to have a subscription version now for around £35 pa but the chandlers sell their product for a lot more but maybe these are the one off purchase versions
Any idea?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
navionics seem to have a subscription version now for around £35 pa but the chandlers sell their product for a lot more but maybe these are the one off purchase versions
Any idea?
Navionics have an app on both Android and Apple which is a subscription setup: one subscription covers as many devices as you like (but I think it a separate subscription for each operating system, although I seem to recall reading one subscription now covers both systems).
There’s no linkage from that subscription to the Navionics charts for standalone chart plotters, where you buy the charts at some expense. You then insert the card into your chartplotter. I understand that there’s a subscription system in place with Navionics where you pay an annual fee for updates to your purchased charts.
Finally, there the Navionics website which has route planing software and charts. Never used this so don’t know if it’s free or if you need a subscription.

Refueler

Visit site
Contrary to some peoples thinking ....digital charts have a common source and the difference comes down to how often that brand / version is updated and its carrier operating format .....
The format as well - whether Vector or Raster makes a huge difference to the user in terms of viewing. Raster will pixelate when zoomed in ... unlike Vector which will allow zooming and still be reasonable display and readable.
BUT a common error is expecting zoom in to give greater detail than is actually in the chart ! You may data levels change with zoom - but you don't get any extra !!

V1701

Visit site
Thanks for the response Gixer
I haven’t actually spent on digital charts yet since I’m still looking
Any idea?

The flash memory cards that you buy in the chandlers to put in a "proper" marine chart plotter were and still are really expensive (well I think so) and they also go out of date like paper charts. The pricing model they've chosen for the Boating App is yearly subscription and is very reasonable I think - which is why it's so popular among those who, for whatever reason, do not want to spend many hundreds if not thousands on their electronic plotter/charts set-up. A tablet and phone you probably already have, download the app, pay your £35, work out a way of mounting it on the boat that works for you and that's it you're off. I found that a music stand tablet mount bought off Amazon enables me to have the tablet mounted securely on the grabrail just inside the companionway...