Diesel duty

deputydawg

Visit site
Hi guys does anyone know if and when the duty on diesel is likely to go up, and if so what would it do to desirability of smaller diesel engined boats!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

adarcy

Visit site
Can I politely suggest you do a search on this forum using say "red" and "diesel" and you will find that there ahve been quite a lot of threads on it some quite recent

<hr width=100% size=1>

derekh

Visit site
Being in the North Ireland coast I wonder If the 2007 duty revision will only effect UK or other European Member Countries. Thirty minutes west of where I keep my boat I can visit Donegall (Although being in the south, Donegall is the most Northerly point in Ireland !!) there I can fill up with green diesel even cheaper than red. More Important than cost when I buy coloured diesel I know I am not destroying my engines by feeding them laundered rubbish.

<hr width=100% size=1>

whisper

Visit site
Don't know for sure but I thought that the UK had got special dispensation til 2007. Didn't realise it was also the same situation in Eire.
I suspect they will have to comply as well, sooner or later. It's pretty certain that even if they do, you'll still be able to get fuel significantly cheaper over the border, you lucky man.
How apt that the colour of the Irish liquid is green /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
93p per litre diesel according to RYA
83p per litre petrol (Berthon fuel barge local to me)

I reckon 50% devaluation in diesel boats overnight, and UK market will become like US market with many large petrol engined boats capable of decent speeds, and without huge clouds of smoke billowing across neighbouring boats in marinas the whole boating scene will become a lot more pleasant!

The chandlers will take a hammering however, and many more will go out of business, as without people buying all sorts of different cleaning products in attempts to clean sterns, transoms, and dinghies, their profit margins will collapse

<hr width=100% size=1>There is no such thing as "fun for the whole family."

ccscott49

Visit site
I do think it will be the death of most big boats, but a hell of a lot of them are company owned and they claim the tax back anyway! A lot more will just pop over to france and fill up or the channel islands, they marinas will be the same, the boats will just not move as much, they hardly do anyway! Most being weekend cottages. Sailing types wont be affected that much. But surely they will have to do something about harmonising fuel prices throughout europe, I can see the french putting up with dieselat UK prices, like hell theyd burn down parliament! Maybe ours aswell with luck, with all the arseholes in there!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
If it didn't taka a tank of squirt to get to Bethon from poole and back I'd got there for petrol. Beats the pound a litre I'm paying in Poole. Think I'll stick to the pub car park with a length of rubber tube and jerry cans. Don't cost anything but don't half make your lipd burn............now I know how the wife feels!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
Now there's an idea. Remember the RYA questionnaire? Add another question? 'Would you be willing to go on a March in London to protest the abolition of Diesel tax exemptions, and burn down the Houses of Parliament with all the aholes still inside?'

Could make for an interesting set of results ;)

ccscott49

Visit site
I already pay tax on the diesel I use, being in the meddy, but if theres any revolting to be done, I`m yer man! Been revolting most of my life! I would also love to singe the arses of most of those thieving, lying bastards in that house. Also the ones who have made the irish sea the most radioactive in the world, along with numerous other things, one of them taking us into an unwinable war, that nobody in their right mind wanted! The bastards!! Rant not over, just taking breath!! That arsehole Bluuuur! with a fat useless bully as his right hand man! Prescat. He wasnt even a very good steward!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Personal hate 'with a fat useless bully as his right hand man! Prescat' put in a bus lane on the M4 into London that's empty everytime I'm stuck in a jam. Drove down it once when totatlly fed up, and got victory signs the whole way <g>

Talbot

Visit site
Two jags also cancelled a lot of the planned by-passes (e.g. hindhead) that the same incompetents are now saying that should have been built years ago.

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
No difference

As so few people use their boats for any serious cruising I think the impact will be minimal.
The justification for the increase to 90p is crazy as so much of the tax on fuel is meant to go to maintenance of roads.

Personally I shall pop over to France or Channel Islands to fill up properly and just use UK suppliers for occasional mid season top ups.
In fact, thinking about it, with the cost of UK marinas it would probably be the final push I need to move the boat to CI or France permanently.

Up yours Mr Prescott, or whoever!

<hr width=100% size=1>

KevB

Visit site
Surely any increase will only be in line with european prices. As it's the EU that is putting on the preasure they can't complain at equal price??? And I doubt if the Government will whack all the duty on in one go, the hike will be spread over a few years. Hopefully.

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
Re: No difference?

Agree in principle but it's a bugger for those of us that do use it.
I pay around 2.2k a year all in excluding depreciation and fuel for my boating (oh and excluding beer as well)

I do around 220h per year and average 4gph - currently at 27ppl. Very roughly that puts my fuel costs up from 1000 to 3700. OK thats only 2700 but I also drive to Poole at 300 miles round trip but have Gatwick next door and the channel tunnel not far the other way.
Factor in the mobile home used as a base with the boat in Poole, shake vigerously, and out comes
"sell up day boat / caravan and buy floating mobile home in Med near cheap airport".
I cannot be alone in this sort of equation - many will already have the larger craft and have higher fuel costs so the move will be easier.

<hr width=100% size=1>

halcyon

Visit site
If the prices are going up inline with Europe, does that mean beer, wine, fags and petrol are coming down ??????????????
Sorry forgot marina fees !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talon

Visit site
GOOD MAN!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif That M4 bus lane winds me up as well!!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

The fat c&^% should have concrete boots and dropped on bramble bank so at certain tides he can be seen as a warning to any other stupid, blubbering government officials!!

Ahhh, thats better....

<hr width=100% size=1>Alex

boat2.jpg

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mad-als.com>http://www.mad-als.com</A>