Deliverance

lpdsn

Visit site
Someone is interested in me delivering a small boat from South Devon to Ulster. How long should that take? How long is a piece of string....?

How long is a piece of string is about right. How fast or slow is the boat? What's the weather going to be like? Are you going to attempt in one leg?

From Dublin it always seems to be the second night when reaching Lands End - but I've only ever done those trips on racers. My record Bangor to Dun Laoghaire is 15 hours, but we weren't far past Donaghadee after thee hours. And I've had slower trips.

And as already mentioned AngusMcDoon, NI has a fairly longish coastline (and that's only six counties of Ulster, you might be lumbered with going to Donegal).

oldbilbo

Visit site
Awlrite! Let's put this another way.

I'm happy enuff to continue day/night if the wind is free and the sun/moon is shining, for several days. But.... peering at the old chart I use for European deliverances ( NP 109 ), I find myself wondering where the really good quayside pubs are along the route. I don't mind the occasional 'pit stop' for sustenance.

e.g. The Turks Head, St Agnes.....

timthumb.php.jpg

Make the trip memorable for some right reasons? Ideas? Suggestions?

lpdsn

Visit site
I find myself wondering where the really good quayside pubs are along the route. I don't mind the occasional 'pit stop' for sustenance.

Carlingford has some really good pubs. **** marina, but maybe the best drinking village in Ireland.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Wexford, Wicklow, Arklow, Carlingford, Ardglass, Stangford, Bangor, Belfast, Glenarm, Ballycastle, Portrush - they all have pubs a plenty. All of the Dublin stops (Greystones, Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Malahide) are on the Drat line so it's easy to get into Dublin for yet more pubs. Pubs are not in short supply in any part of Ireland.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Ah, you've obviously travelled on the DRAT line before.

Many times, and despite my facetious mis-spelling, I think it's pretty darned good. I used to travel from Bray into the city regularly, and it was always a great service. It's excellent for boaters arriving at DL or Howth, walk across the road, jump on a train, and 30 minutes later arrive in the city centre for a € or 2.

Last edited:

Pleiades

Visit site
If you want to get it done, work the tide and weather proper to get round the tricky sticky out bit at The Longships - thereafter not much nav needed other than avoiding the lanes. and four days later snuggle down in Carrickfergus or Bangor -all tide, all weather access. If you want to stop or should the weather turn adverse underway, easy all weather passage ports are Milford (hook on at Dale) this side then Arklow and a bit further up Howth are nice to hide from a gale. The south east corner of Ireland is worth keeping off in poor vis or bad weather. Carlingford has 'ansome scenery but is not an easy passage port at all. Unless your point of deliverance is to be in Strangford, scoop up a favourable tide to whisk you up round the Ards Penninsula and through the Copelands Sound before it runs agin you. Enjoy the craic once you have been safely delivered.

lpdsn

Visit site
Carlingford has 'ansome scenery but is not an easy passage port at all. Unless your point of deliverance is to be in Strangford, scoop up a favourable tide to whisk you up round the Ards Penninsula and through the Copelands Sound before it runs agin you. Enjoy the craic once you have been safely delivered.

It's only about an hour up the channel to Carlingford and not difficult nav for an experienced yachtsman. I did just recommend it as a drinking stop though. :)

I think you mean Donaghadee Sd (Copeland Sd is unmarked these days). Very difficult to carry a tide through it as it turns early.

lpdsn

Visit site
Many times, and despite my facetious mis-spelling, I think it's pretty darned good. I used to travel from Bray into the city regularly, and it was always a great service. It's excellent for boaters arriving at DL or Howth, walk across the road, jump on a train, and 30 minutes later arrive in the city centre for a € or 2.

It has its good moments, my personal gripe is matching up to the bus timetables. I think there's more co-operation between the Israelis and Palestinians than there is between Dublin Bus and Iarnród Éireann.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Having done the trip from Penzance to Ireland on a mate's boat, I'd recommend using the Scillies as a first stop off point. It took us 24 hours with me mostly debilitated overnight with Sea sickness... but that's another story. That was a 42' cat aiming for the west coast, but with the wind stopping us getting further west than Youghal. Had we gone to the Scillies first, would have had a much better slant. The wind was forecast to back from W to SW, and we waited for a fortnight....

Last edited: