DEKPA latest?

tony12345

Visit site
It seems that as of the most recent posts referring to the Greek DEKPA there is still confusion (as there is ref the Cruising Tax)

I am a the new owner of a yacht in Greece and my current understanding is that:
1 - It does NOT have to be stamped every month.
2 - It needs stamping every year.

Nobody is 100% if it has to be stamped;
- on the same day each year.
- before the date of the previous stamping.
- it doesn't matter so long as it is stamped each year.

If you fail to meet whatever the requirement turns out to be what happens?
- You have to buy a new DEKPA.
- You get a fine.
- Both of the above.
- None of the above.

If anyone has some evidence to clarify it will be appreciated.
Cheers
Tony

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It seems that as of the most recent posts referring to the Greek DEKPA there is still confusion (as there is ref the Cruising Tax)

I am a the new owner of a yacht in Greece and my current understanding is that:
1 - It does NOT have to be stamped every month.
2 - It needs stamping every year.

Nobody is 100% if it has to be stamped;
- on the same day each year.
- before the date of the previous stamping.
- it doesn't matter so long as it is stamped each year.

If you fail to meet whatever the requirement turns out to be what happens?
- You have to buy a new DEKPA.
- You get a fine.
- Both of the above.
- None of the above.

If anyone has some evidence to clarify it will be appreciated.
Cheers
Tony

What we know so far is , it has to be stamp once a year and that's about it , every thing else guess work .
I can't see them not stamping it before the year up or in the foreseeable further any fines if it not stamp before the year up.
But who knows ,
If we decided to go back to Greece next year , our last stamp will be well over due.
We will deal with it as we dealed with everything else in Greece for the last 20 plus years ,
With a smile.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We got the new DEKPA in Gouvia, Corfu around end of July. We asked about getting it stamped and were told "before the same date next year". I asked how much before would be OK and was told getting an early stamp wouldn't be a problem.

I have seen odd reports from people claiming other ports have a different view but have never seen any hard evidence this is widespread. Stories will appear about different interpretations but that's a given as it is Greece. All evidence on this site points to PP taking a laid back approach.

I am not worrying about it and nobody has ever asked to see the DEKPA, let alone insist I have one with monthly stamps. I expect someone will ask to see it next year.

tony12345

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have never been asked for a DEKPA but then for the last 6 years we have just chartered so maybe charter boats don't need one? TBH we have been asked to show the yachts papers but then we wouldn't have known what a DEKPA was or whether there was one in the folder.
As I plan to sail in May/June and September/October I think I will get my DEKPA at the end of May so I'll always be in Greece when it needs re-stamping.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have never been asked for a DEKPA but then for the last 6 years we have just chartered so maybe charter boats don't need one? TBH we have been asked to show the yachts papers but then we wouldn't have known what a DEKPA was or whether there was one in the folder.
As I plan to sail in May/June and September/October I think I will get my DEKPA at the end of May so I'll always be in Greece when it needs re-stamping.
Because of the new law,I would strongly suggest to get a DEKPA beofre you set sail,
in years gone by I would had said don't bother, but my gut feeling is because it's new and the way it's all coming about, there may be more check on DEKPA this coming year.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Because of the new law,I would strongly suggest to get a DEKPA beofre you set sail,
in years gone by I would had said don't bother, but my gut feeling is because it's new and the way it's all coming about, there may be more check on DEKPA this coming year.

When the new law on the tax comes in - and they have now committed to have all the instructions out to the PP by end of January 2018 - the DEKPA just will be come part of your compliance with the new TAX. Just dont be without it on the water.

We are now fairly clear that the tax will be payable annually from Jan 1 with a 10% discount, of you can pay by your estimated number of months you want it for - the date running from the date of payment. There are hefty fines for not complying.

The Shipping Minister has also publicly stated that there must be no grey areas on this tax - this comes from criticism of the way some passenger charters will be taxed, no one can make sence of the provisions for this.

We hope at the CA to be able to use his promise to clarify the more intricate details of how it will operate - though I think these now lie around how will payment be made - its more of a problem to pay €600 euros in cash as it would be €50. Owners may just need to be prepared and carry sufficient cash.

tony12345

Visit site

Fair point.

tony12345

Visit site
When the new law on the tax comes in - and they have now committed to have all the instructions out to the PP by end of January 2018 - the DEKPA just will be come part of your compliance with the new TAX. Just dont be without it on the water.

We are now fairly clear that the tax will be payable annually from Jan 1 with a 10% discount, of you can pay by your estimated number of months you want it for - the date running from the date of payment. There are hefty fines for not complying.

The Shipping Minister has also publicly stated that there must be no grey areas on this tax - this comes from criticism of the way some passenger charters will be taxed, no one can make sence of the provisions for this.

We hope at the CA to be able to use his promise to clarify the more intricate details of how it will operate - though I think these now lie around how will payment be made - its more of a problem to pay €600 euros in cash as it would be €50. Owners may just need to be prepared and carry sufficient cash.

This is the cruising tax?
You say it is expected that if you're confident that you will be on the water for May June & September October and in a yard or Marina the rest of the time you'll be able to pay 2 months up front in May and September and get a 10% discount 'probably' subject to seeing the details as and when?
It will be interesting to see how they will monitor this.

This still leaves the DEKPA rules unclear but perhaps they will clarify everything in January. It must be said that this seems unlikely knowing Greece. Hope for the best prepare for the worst :)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
This is the cruising tax?
You say it is expected that if you're confident that you will be on the water for May June & September October and in a yard or Marina the rest of the time you'll be able to pay 2 months up front in May and September and get a 10% discount 'probably' subject to seeing the details as and when?
It will be interesting to see how they will monitor this.

This still leaves the DEKPA rules unclear but perhaps they will clarify everything in January. It must be said that this seems unlikely knowing Greece. Hope for the best prepare for the worst :)

You won't get a discount on monthly payments I am afraid.

I think that this time it's really going to happen.
As for enforcement I think they will rely on fines if you are found on board without paying tax.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You won't get a discount on monthly payments I am afraid.

I think that this time it's really going to happen.
As for enforcement I think they will rely on fines if you are found on board without paying tax.
Year after year , tax after tax, it wasn't some thing that bothered me , I alway throught it wasn't going to happen,
but this year for the first time every I changed my mind,and just as Chris just posted, I too really think it going to happen this year.

donde

Visit site
I got the new DEKPA last year. Now the boat (EU) is at Gouvia marina on water. As I am not able to go back to the boat before the one year from the stamp is gone what will happen?

jordanbasset

Visit site
I got the new DEKPA last year. Now the boat (EU) is at Gouvia marina on water. As I am not able to go back to the boat before the one year from the stamp is gone what will happen?

I would have been in a similar position so decided to renew mine last October, 6 months early.
I think as others have said if you do not get there before the 12 months is up you have to get a new one, but can't be sure

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

When the new law on the tax comes in - and they have now committed to have all the instructions out to the PP by end of January 2018

On asking my port police friends today 22March they know nothing about this tax?
I am parked next to the Customs coast guard boat 510 in Porto Rafti with a crew of 10 from master sargent down. They do my guardanyarge for me

Chris_Robb

Visit site
A report from Preveza by someone in a similar situation said he had to buy a new DEPKA.
John. We know he had to PAY for a new one but we don't know if they produced a whole new DEKPA. The difference is the shear waste of time taken to issue a new one.
If they are doing this I think they are bonkers.

I also take issue with owners having to pay the €50 fee when they were not in avoidance mode but merely holidaying at at different time.

Pasarell

Visit site
I got my DEKPA out on 1st March to check when I needed to renew it later in the month. Horrified to realise I was late as the original one was dated 27th February last year. Went straight around to the PP in Lefkas and apologised profusely. They stamped it without any problem. My neighbour went there 1 hour later and with his DEKPA 2 weeks overdue. They made him pay 50euro for a new one

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I got my DEKPA out on 1st March to check when I needed to renew it later in the month. Horrified to realise I was late as the original one was dated 27th February last year. Went straight around to the PP in Lefkas and apologised profusely. They stamped it without any problem. My neighbour went there 1 hour later and with his DEKPA 2 weeks overdue. They made him pay 50euro for a new one

Could you ask your neighbour if they just stamped his original - but made him pay - or did they start from scratch. I need this info in putting a case for sensibility to the Ministry of Shipping.

Other threads that may be of interest