dehumidifier recommendations please

lustyd

Visit site
Yes Meaco here too, although we also use the chemical things in lockers to keep them dry in the winter.

Having just viewed, surveyed, and rejected a boat with the dorade vents LittleSister suggests above I feel quite comfortable saying they aren't as effective as keeping a boat warm and properly dehumidified in the winter.

RupertW

Visit site
Maeco Junior also as recommended many years ago by PBO. The main things we have valued is a pipe to drain into the sink (although the pipe still needs the tiny hole made by the outlet), the ability to set different humidity targets and different power/fan speeds and most importan of all, the ability to switch itself back on and retain the same settings after a power outage which happens a fair bit at marinas even if only for a short time.

Regarding the humourous ventilation option, some climates work fine for ventilation only (nowhere in the UK all year obviously), huge numbers of owners love the damp smell of boat, clothes and seating and have no idea what a boat should smell like and deny everything as they swear by ventilation, and the rest of use use dehumidifiers if the climate and time of year demands it.

Aja

Visit site
I have an elderly Ebac 2650e which can drain into the sink. Multiple programmes but I leave it on 'Auto Eco' and it finds its own routine to switch/off on when required.

I'm lucky to live 15 minutes from the boat in winter and quite often will switch out off during prolonged dry quiet spells and switching on when rain is forecast.

Boat is always sweet smelling and dry.

Tranona

Visit site
for a 30ft boat and able to empty into the sink
Are you sure you actually need one? Modern boats with dry bilges and no leaks don't seem to suffer from damp. Neither of my Bavarias, and particularly the second one never showed any sign of damp even though the second was kept in the water all year round. I use one in my current MAB because it had leaks when I bought it and still discover new minor ones plus I never really managed to get the bilge completely dry, but the amount of water I collected last winter was small and I found running a tube heater was good in keeping the ambient temperature up.

harvey38

Visit site
I just leave the hatches cracked open on the vent detent so plenty of air circulating
but secure, not had the need for a dehumidifier.

Halo

Visit site
I would not be without my Meaco dehumidifier in winter. The difference between ventilation and dehumidification is a lot and the humidistat setting means it stays around 50% humidity which is great for keeping things fresh- even the biscuits and crisps stay crispy and the lecky bill reasonable. No mould no damp smell.

I keep her afloat and in use throughout the winter so don’t want to drain everything.
To prevent frost damage I have two tube heaters set on thermostats at 3 degrees. This means that they hardly ever come on so cost little. I couldn’t find a plug in thermostat that was usable at that setting so mounted a couple of household wall ones on wooden bases and wired in plugs and sockets. These work great but are only suitable for tube heaters of moderate wattage rather than powerful converters or fan heaters.

Momac

Visit site
I have had the Meaco dd8L since 2017 and have used it on the boat every winter with no issues. The lowest fan setting and the 'one drop' humidity setting is sufficient to keep everything sufficiently dry.
The price is £20 more than it was in 2017
1698825626356.png

Birdseye

Visit site
Are you sure you actually need one? Modern boats with dry bilges and no leaks don't seem to suffer from damp. Neither of my Bavarias, and particularly the second one never showed any sign of damp even though the second was kept in the water all year round. I use one in my current MAB because it had leaks when I bought it and still discover new minor ones plus I never really managed to get the bilge completely dry, but the amount of water I collected last winter was small and I found running a tube heater was good in keeping the ambient temperature up.
Depends on the construction. My previous double skinned Starlight didnt need one at all but the latest boat is old fashioned British style construction of single skin GRP with basic internal linings. And it has a couple of leaks yet to be found. It already feels a bit damp inside so I am thinking that a dehumidifer will allow me not to have to empty the boat over the Jan / April period of non use

Tranona

Visit site
Depends on the construction. My previous double skinned Starlight didnt need one at all but the latest boat is old fashioned British style construction of single skin GRP with basic internal linings. And it has a couple of leaks yet to be found. It already feels a bit damp inside so I am thinking that a dehumidifer will allow me not to have to empty the boat over the Jan / April period of non use
If you have leaks then the boat will get damp and a dehumidifier will help as will a low power (150W) tube heater. No leaks on my Bavaria which was normal construction and dry all year round.

johnalison

Visit site
If you have leaks then the boat will get damp and a dehumidifier will help as will a low power (150W) tube heater. No leaks on my Bavaria which was normal construction and dry all year round.
However well I air my boat, there is always a tendency to damp and mould, especially if I keep it in the water as I often do. The boat is an HR which is broadly similar to your Bav, and this is in Essex, the driest part of the country, and I certainly don't have leaks. I don't have the option to remove all the soft furnishings since some are fixed, and there are just too many compared to our old Sadler 29. The mast its kept up, so the option of a boat cover and open hatches is not easily available to me, and the cost of using a dehumidifier is not too much compared to the harm that might result from a mouldy boat.

I used to run my old compressor dehumidifier on a time switch but desiccant types like my new one don't like this and I have to use a low setting, as others have mentioned.

V1701

Visit site
Dessicant/desiccant work well at low temps whereas compressor type don't. I believe also less likely to cause a fire than compressor type. I've had an Ecoair DD1 for 5 years & live on full time, it's still going strong & makes a world of difference. As johnalison says they have a shutdown cycle so shouldn't be used on a timer...