dehumidifier recommendations please

chris-s

Visit site
We bought a seago ecodry a few weeks back, never had a dehumidifier on a boat before. Drains to sink, configurable humidity, cycle etc and resumes after power outage. It’s early days but seems pretty good at the moment.

ashtead

Visit site
We have a Meaco for winter use - it’s currently at home but has good setting with some modest heat -would endorse suggestion in post#12 . The only downside is power bill but I think it’s worth the improvement .

Tranona

Visit site
However well I air my boat, there is always a tendency to damp and mould, especially if I keep it in the water as I often do. The boat is an HR which is broadly similar to your Bav, and this is in Essex, the driest part of the country, and I certainly don't have leaks. I don't have the option to remove all the soft furnishings since some are fixed, and there are just too many compared to our old Sadler 29. The mast its kept up, so the option of a boat cover and open hatches is not easily available to me, and the cost of using a dehumidifier is not too much compared to the harm that might result from a mouldy boat.

I used to run my old compressor dehumidifier on a time switch but desiccant types like my new one don't like this and I have to use a low setting, as others have mentioned.
Once damp gets into the fabric, and particularly salt it is almost impossible to get rid of it. Just comes back every winter. I think that was one of the factors with my Bavaria. Although used lot, just by me. Vary little condensation from cooking, shower was self contained in aft loo compartment and no wet salty clothes down below. I know this is difficult to achieve with heavily used boats with crews going out in all weathers, particularly if bringing sails down below and a boat that always has water in the bilges from dripping stuffing boxes.