Day out on the Sea around Anglesey

mjkinch1

Visit site
I thought I might share this, as it was a great first outing for the Bayliner.

After a long period without a boat, I thought we would get a small trailer-able cuddy that we could use around the coast of Anglesey, so just purchased a Bayliner 642, which is really good little boat, and looks like new.

The first day we managed to get everything together turned out to be Bank Holiday Monday, which also was a great forecast, a little light wind and plenty of sun. We are using a park and ride at Trearrdur Bay, and so with everything loaded, engine tested, bung in and checked, and all the stuff that goes with a day out, we were one of the first on the slip way about 9.15am.

Here we are being towed by Malcolm and his trusty tractor down to the slipway, it was high tide so getting in the water was very straightforward.

trearrdur_1.jpg

Its the first time out in a small boat for quite a few years, so a little nervous about everything working, and this was our first trip since we purchased the boat, and remembering the dog leg route out of the bay (although high tide meant it was a pretty big area).

The engine started first time (quite why I think it wouldn't I have no idea), and leg all the way down we made our way forward.

We got out of the bay and it was a little light mist that suddenly descended to the point we couldn't see a lot, only a vague outline of the shore, so decided to turn around and made our way back to the bay to anchor up for a bit. I actually could not see the entrance, but with a little help from the GPS we soon found it and dropped anchor for a bit, and after about half an hour the mist lifted.

Now I had a bit of time to play with the GPS, we were off and decided to go down to a bay called Rhoscolyn, which as well as having a great pub called the white eagle, is also a very sheltered bay and anchored up for an early lunch.

trearrdur_3.jpg

trearrdur_4.jpg

After lunch we took a run over to Rhosneiger and pottered about for a bit, and then made our way back to explore Port Dafarch area, which was now full of skiers and the odd jet ski.

trearrdur_2.jpg

The sea was pretty calm, even where the tide was was running the overfalls, and made our way back past the "the Safe House" (from the TV programme of the same name)

trearrdur_5.jpg

And of course the obligatory wake shot

wake_shot.jpg

Getting back on the trailer was a lot more challenging, as the tide was out and the depths are pretty shallow at around 5ft, and a large number of boats, jet skis, canoes, children and dogs were in the way, but Malcolm and his tractor arrived, and despite a thousand eyes, we got the boat nicely placed back on the trailer, and back to the yard.

Really pleased as it has been some time, but it was a great day out.

Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
beautiful day for a first outing, good luck with the new boat.
I used to go scuba diving in Trearrdur bay (30 odd years ago) - takes me back :)

derekbland

Visit site
I thought I might share this, as it was a great first outing for the Bayliner.

After a long period without a boat, I thought we would get a small trailer-able cuddy that we could use around the coast of Anglesey, so just purchased a Bayliner 642, which is really good little boat, and looks like new.

The first day we managed to get everything together turned out to be Bank Holiday Monday, which also was a great forecast, a little light wind and plenty of sun. We are using a park and ride at Trearrdur Bay, and so with everything loaded, engine tested, bung in and checked, and all the stuff that goes with a day out, we were one of the first on the slip way about 9.15am.

Here we are being towed by Malcolm and his trusty tractor down to the slipway, it was high tide so getting in the water was very straightforward.

trearrdur_1.jpg

Its the first time out in a small boat for quite a few years, so a little nervous about everything working, and this was our first trip since we purchased the boat, and remembering the dog leg route out of the bay (although high tide meant it was a pretty big area).

The engine started first time (quite why I think it wouldn't I have no idea), and leg all the way down we made our way forward.

We got out of the bay and it was a little light mist that suddenly descended to the point we couldn't see a lot, only a vague outline of the shore, so decided to turn around and made our way back to the bay to anchor up for a bit. I actually could not see the entrance, but with a little help from the GPS we soon found it and dropped anchor for a bit, and after about half an hour the mist lifted.

Now I had a bit of time to play with the GPS, we were off and decided to go down to a bay called Rhoscolyn, which as well as having a great pub called the white eagle, is also a very sheltered bay and anchored up for an early lunch.

trearrdur_3.jpg

trearrdur_4.jpg

After lunch we took a run over to Rhosneiger and pottered about for a bit, and then made our way back to explore Port Dafarch area, which was now full of skiers and the odd jet ski.

trearrdur_2.jpg

The sea was pretty calm, even where the tide was was running the overfalls, and made our way back past the "the Safe House" (from the TV programme of the same name)

trearrdur_5.jpg

And of course the obligatory wake shot

wake_shot.jpg

Getting back on the trailer was a lot more challenging, as the tide was out and the depths are pretty shallow at around 5ft, and a large number of boats, jet skis, canoes, children and dogs were in the way, but Malcolm and his tractor arrived, and despite a thousand eyes, we got the boat nicely placed back on the trailer, and back to the yard.

Really pleased as it has been some time, but it was a great day out.

Thanks for this as it brings back memories of my first boat which was a 20' Bayliner.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Yes, thank you very much for the post. It reminded me of why I have a boat in that area ( and reinforced my doubts as to whether a bigger boat is better !). For us now in our present circumstances, I don't think it is anymore.

MedDreamer

Visit site
Nice post Martyn, you look very happy to be back afloat.

What a great day to return to boating!

Have fun

Meddy

mjkinch1

Visit site
Yes, thank you very much for the post. It reminded me of why I have a boat in that area ( and reinforced my doubts as to whether a bigger boat is better !). For us now in our present circumstances, I don't think it is anymore.

Hi Graham - Where do you have your boat?

GrahamHR

Visit site
We keep, or rather kept it on the water at Holyhead marina; it'll not be launched this year due to the damage at the marina.. I'll take the opportunity to do all the deep cleaning jobs we never got around to ! It's unfortunately just too big (heavy) to transport it legally on a UK road trailer. If we still had our previous boat, we'd probably have had a season of launching it from the trailer.