Dartside Quay ...Slipway

fastjedi

Visit site
Had a trailer sailer, but never launched there myself. Now have a boat on a swinging mooring at Greenway Quay. Also have a mate with a trailer sailer who uses Dartside.

Access to Dartside is via narrow lanes. You should be O.K with a car or 4x4 and 235 on a trailer. I don't think they can take big yachts and lorries there?

Shallow gradient (rope between car and trailer?), good surface. Pontoon running alongside so easy to manage off trailer. Access HW +/- 2.5hrs approx. Good secure parking for car + trailer. Might be able to find you a photo if you PM your email address.

No significant navigational challenges. Keep clear of Flat Owers or check there is enough water to cross. Visitors bouys are a mile or so away at Dittisham or motor down to the pontoons at Dartmouth for your first night. At Brixham stay on Yacht Club island pontoons (can be very bumpy) or at Brixham Marina (recommended)

Alternative is Baltic Wharf at Totnes, lovely trip down the Dart around high water, but a bit of a trek!

CliveG

Visit site
I agree with all that Fastjedi has said.

I would emphasise the narrow lanes on approach to the yard.
We went down there last year with our Evolution 25 behind our Range Rover and had a nightmare getting through Stoke Gabrial Road due to cars parked in difficault places.
We had to get 4 people to move their cars and then had to un-hitch to get past one we could not find the owner of.
It took about half a hour to get through.
I would recommend a drive down without the boat on the back first.

We came out by going up the steep hill that you find if you turn left at the top of the road from the yard.
There is a very narrow section near the main road but we got through and we have a 9' beam.
I am not sure that I would come in that way as the hill is about 1 in 3 with a tight 90° bend half way down.
You would need very good brakes.

After that lot the launch and recovery where simple.
We got her as far down the slip as we could and had to wait for the tide to lift her off the trailer.
Rope from car to trailer is the only way.

The chap we dealt with at the yard was very helpful.

Have a good time.

ccscott49

Visit site
What about launching in Dartmouth, at the slip next to the higher ferry, parking around and somewhere to leave your trailer.

S

Skyva_2

The MDL car park in the quarry at Brixham is under cover and has CCTV in the marina office, cost about £5 per day. Never heard of a problem there. The road down to Galmpton is everything people say.

pessimist

Visit site
Brixham Marina doesn't provide launching facilities, but there is a very good wide slip next door. As Skysail says there is a reasonably secure car park across thr road.

The alternative as someone mentioned is Baltic Wharf at Totnes, they too have a good slip and secure parking. The trip down the river is long but very enjoyable if you have the time.