Customs - Knives

Gordonmc

Visit site
The thread reminded me of a return trip from the Soton boat show a few years ago... flying from Bournemouth to Prestswick.
I turned up at the airport with a plastic bag full of show brochures and a wrapped gift from my show hosts.
The airport security man got excited by the gift... a boxed wine accutrement set with a waiter's friend and a conical stopper. One of the security men thought the set was okay... his mate disagreed and a debate ensued with last call for my plane on the tannoy.
I said it was fair enough...no loss and just keep the set.
But no... they wanted to do things right, so out came a book with lists of prohibited items.
The waiters friend was the offending item because of a tiny folding blade, about 2 cm long for cutting bottle foil.
But they were perfectly relaxed about the stopper which for all the world looked like a 6 cm spike.
I told them to keep both and made a run for the flight.

RichardPerou

Visit site
Sharps on aircraft

The whole of this policy of banning knives by airport security is nullified by the presentation of a set of steel cutlery on board

wklein

Visit site
The Master Rigger said that it was statute law dating from Elizabeth I, that all qualified riggers were to carry a rigging knife at all times. It has never been repealed.

Can't find any evidence for that on google, which is a shame. I would have loved that to have been true.

On flights as i recall they do still give you glass wine bottles. You could make a much better weapon with that than half the things they take away. Its funny how people are trusted with corkscrews and tweezers in the rest of life. But not on planes. Maybe its the altitude they are worried about.

BlueLancer

N Yorkshire, Gods Country even when its raining
Visit site
Can't find any evidence for that on google, which is a shame. I would have loved that to have been true.

On flights as i recall they do still give you glass wine bottles. You could make a much better weapon with that than half the things they take away. Its funny how people are trusted with corkscrews and tweezers in the rest of life. But not on planes. Maybe its the altitude they are worried about.

A bit silly really, I was given a demonstration on how a rolled up newspaper becomes a very formidable weapon. So next time you fly don't take the Sun.