CURE FOR OVER HEATING

squidge

Visit site
Sorry Long post. but if you have cooling problems this could help.

OK , so now i know , I should flush out the raw water cooling part of the system with something that will remove the scale at least once every year or so. My BMC was getting warm under load all season. Nothing in the filter , water pump and impeller were both OK. I stripped the Heat exchanger , a little scale but nowhere near blocked so i stripped the exhaust manifold exchanger. Same here , removed thermostat and rebuilt everything. Ran it up , better so took it for a run to load the engine, got hot!

After reading other threads and becomming desperate as rumers of nasty things like head gasgit replacement and engine & gearbox removals were getting a bit real. I drove 100 miles round trip and bought 2ltrs of Rydlyme at £9 each. Last w/e i sat on the boat and connected up a 12v circulation pump and for 4 hours on Saturday and another 3 hours Sunday ran the stuff through my cooling system . I ran out of time for a motor up river untill today.( but did catch a few small bass , returned as too small to eat) Today i ran her up tide against the wind wide open and she never got hotter then the thermostat cut in of 74deg.
So if you are having problems keeping your cool give Rydlyme a go could save you a lot of time and expence.

I have no connection with this company .

Hope it helps.

regards

Squidge

bobthesailor2

Visit site
Hi Squidge

I tried descaling my Volvo MD11C with Rydlyme a couple of years ago. I used a small Rule 12v bilge pump to circulate it and it shifted quite a lot of scale, but after about an hour the pump packed up. The Rydlyme had eroded pump spindle and the seal had failed, letting the solution into the electrics.
It now needs doing again, so I'd be interested to know what pump you used.

Bob the Sailor

davidportwain

Visit site
Are you sure you want to run hydrochloric acid through your engine? (read the ingredients list) No wonder it destroyed the pump.
Try coca cola, seriously safer and just as effective. Just try placing a (discarded) tooth in some coke for few days, fish it out and see how the acid in the coke has softened the tooth.
Its probably cheaper too!

Marsupial

Visit site
you could go to any plumbers merchant and buy central heating system descaler and cleaner, it's not as corrosive as neat HCL and it wont harm rubber parts - like the exhaust pipe!

For that last 5 seasons I ve been laying up with a 30% mixture of water/antifreeze in the raw water side of the heat exchanger, introduced throught the vetus strainer with the sea cock turned off and the engine idling, swimbo keeps watch for the stuff to start comming out of the exhaust and turns off the engine for the winter. Seems to be a good idea - so far. (needs 8 litrs of mixture on my boat) - and bye the way that is part of a layup process which includes changing oils/filters, lubricating any thing that moves, sealing holes that let in air etc.

tobble

Visit site
I used vinegar a while ago. don't have a temp gauge on the engine (1GM10) so don't know exactly how effective it was but didn't have any probs after that. previously the cooling pipes had become almost completely blocked by a calcium type deposit - of course this is all raw water...

Solent sailer

Visit site
our old seapanter has been running hotter than i think it should. so i should try this, are you cleaning the raw or engine side if the system?