Crossing Lulworth ranges, theory and practice

skyflyer

Visit site
First time for me, next week, repositioning my boat up to Poole.

My first action was to look up range times online. Pretty sure that’s a generic set of times that says when the range MIGHT be in use as opposed to when firing is actually taking place.

I understand that (a) you can just insist on carrying on your course and they will work around you and (b) you can call up for “permission” - perhaps better described as a “co-ordinated crossing”!

but from a planning perspective can anyone tell me how likely is it that they will be firing on any given day and when they fire, how long does this go on for at a time? Is it a question of heave to for half an hour, or that once they start it’s non stop for 4 hours?

any other hints or tips welcomed.

thanks

ip485

Visit site
Yep best also just to call the range boats. They will tell you were to route if in any doubt and are really helpful and pleasant. If they are on duty its almost certainly cold but as you have said check as well.

chrishscorp

Visit site
One of the Range safety boats will come and buzz you, they will 'advise' you to go around the range area and avoid it, the last time we passed that way Saturday and Sunday they do not fire so its not in use

If you are coming from the West, you dont say your start point, why not just lay off and avoid the range and any hastle to start with. Insisting on right of passage through the range will not make you popular.

Mudisox

Visit site
Depends upon whether you want to go by the inshore route, otherwise you'll be outside the range in any case. remember that they are only doing their job and it is not the most scintillating or stimulating jobs! :rolleyes:

Bobc

Visit site
They will chase you out of the area with a patrol boat if they don't want you there.

skyflyer

Visit site

Well no, it isn’t, which was exactly the point i made in my post! :) (or tried to )

Unless you’re suggesting that firing takes place continuously without a break right through to midnight!

Evidently I’ve not explained myself well. I’m asking whether if I plan the most direct route through the ranges it is likely that I’ll be asked to divert or whether in practice there are long breaks between firing sessions and I’ll get a coordinated passage through it.

How often is the outer range used in reality?

Obviously on the day (or night) it is what it is and we will do as needed. But it’s a long passage (for me!) two handed and we will be tired and cold by the time we round Portland. Anything that minimises the journey will help

guess we will just have to suck it an see

Never Grumble

Visit site
Well no, it isn’t, which was exactly the point i made in my post! :) (or tried to )

Unless you’re suggesting that firing takes place continuously without a break right through to midnight!

Evidently I’ve not explained myself well. I’m asking whether if I plan the most direct route through the ranges it is likely that I’ll be asked to divert or whether in practice there are long breaks between firing sessions and I’ll get a coordinated passage through it.

How often is the outer range used in reality?

Obviously on the day (or night) it is what it is and we will do as needed. But it’s a long passage (for me!) two handed and we will be tired and cold by the time we round Portland. Anything that minimises the journey will help

guess we will just have to suck it an see
Why not call the number at the bottom of the online range details and speak to FOST ops not now but a couple of days before you are passaging through.

skyflyer

Visit site
Yes I will do that but slightly suspicious they’ll take the easy option and just say to stay clear. Basically if the outer range isn’t being used then all is well for me. We will be well off Portland.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Yes I will do that but slightly suspicious they’ll take the easy option and just say to stay clear. Basically if the outer range isn’t being used then all is well for me. We will be well off Portland.
When we crossed the inner range was live, the safety boat asked us to go through the outer range. If they need you to leave the outer range they will ask.

I'd prefer them to take the easy option rather than take a round though the hull and pretty sure the range staff prefer not to fill in the paperwork if there was a boat hit.

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Last time I did it I tried calling the ansaphone but it was not clear what the hours were. I got met at St Albans head (I was going by the inner channel) by the range launch and asked to go outside the inner range. I had already plotted waypoints for this eventuality so just followed that. Once you are the most Southerly point of the inner range it seems many people cut the corner off the Southwest corner to aim directly at Weymouth and the launches did not seem to stop it.

mainsail1

Visit site
My approach these days is just to proceed as normal.
If they want you to move they will come out and tell you. Firings during the day and night often have large gaps of some hours which are unplanned so when the range is officially "firing" it is not and only the range boat knows the up to the minute situation. Also, some days they only need to close inshore and not the full exclusion zone.

oldharry

Visit site
Been several years since I was down that way, but the CG 4 hourly weather and Nav bulletin used to carry range Information. But as above the Range patrol boats will tell you whether they are actually firing. They cant actually prevent you from crossing the range, legally, but an unscheduled delay in their firing training programme costs the Army time and money, if that bothers you!

Defence of the realm is apparently not as important a seahorses and seaweed - there, it seems they CAN stop you....!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Been several years since I was down that way, but the CG 4 hourly weather and Nav bulletin used to carry range Information.
I believe it is now only the 07:30 and 19:30 bulletins (on the Solent transmitters) that include range information. Details are in Reeds.

skyflyer

Visit site
My approach these days is just to proceed as normal.
If they want you to move they will come out and tell you. Firings during the day and night often have large gaps of some hours which are unplanned so when the range is officially "firing" it is not and only the range boat knows the up to the minute situation. Also, some days they only need to close inshore and not the full exclusion zone.
Thanks. That was exactly the information I needed!

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
If they want you to move they will come out and tell you
Thanks. That was exactly the information I needed!
The range safety boats can be contacted on VHF Channel 8, call sign “Lulworth Range Safety Boat”.
Range control also monitors Channel 8 during firing.
Better to know beforehand rather than aim for the inner passage then get diverted to go out around the buoys!