Crimps and crimp tool help

whipper_snapper

Visit site
Can anyone advise on a decent crimp tool? I bought one of these a while ago
DVDHCR15.JPG

It worked well for a while, but seemed to rapidly loose its gap settings and no amount of fiddling has got it right. I now use a very crude device like this:
rolson-crimping-stripping-and-cutting-tool-232mm.jpg

Which sort of works, but it is awkward to get the crimp right.

Any suggestions for a decent and robust tool?

Also, any suggestions for a source of decent, marine quality crimps? Various places seem to stock various random combinations some tinned, some not. But ordering a good range from one place seems very difficult.

Thanks

sarabande

Visit site
David 2452 is a boat electrics installer. He has posted advice previously, but I can't find it. Worth a PM ?

Storyline

Visit site
I got an assortment and a double crimping tool to suit. I think it is imported from the US so not cheap but good quality and I have rarely had a failed crimp.
http://www.power-store.com/view-item.asp?itemid=1848&id=302&
Edit: just looked at the site and cannot see the actual tool listed, maybe they are o/s. The good thing about the Lifetime system assortment is you can extra specific crimps if you get a bit low in the asst. I found I needed some extra tab disconnects but I did rewire a lot of the boat. There are three sizes in the kit. It is the sort of purchase that although initially expensive, should be all you ever need and it is nice to know you have the kit on board to handle every job.

Last edited:

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Can anyone advise on a decent crimp tool? I bought one of these a while ago
DVDHCR15.JPG

It worked well for a while, but seemed to rapidly loose its gap settings and no amount of fiddling has got it right. I now use a very crude device like this:
rolson-crimping-stripping-and-cutting-tool-232mm.jpg

Which sort of works, but it is awkward to get the crimp right.

Any suggestions for a decent and robust tool?

Also, any suggestions for a source of decent, marine quality crimps? Various places seem to stock various random combinations some tinned, some not. But ordering a good range from one place seems very difficult.

Thanks

The small item on the top handle with + and - on is a tension adjustment. Try moving it one notch to the + direction and give it a go on a crimp.

I have the same type of crimper.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
+1 I had one very similar to yours purchased from a local electrical wholesaler ( Denmans I think) at a cost of about £16. Rewired most of the boat last winter no problems still going strong. The cost of a professional similar crimper could be in the region of £60- £80 4 x the cost of mine. Ok if you are going to use it a lot but seems a costly investment for something you may only use occasionally?

I think you can buy look a likes one on eBay for about £8, probably inferior quality, but who knows?

lw395

Visit site
You really need one that is compatible with the actual brand of crimps you are using.
You should try and get decent crimps from someone like AMP and start from there.
A random mix of blue crimps will give mixed results in the same tool.

A lot of amateur crimping is rubbish for these reasons. Worse than choc blocks in many cases.
Anything under £100 is cheap for a good crimp tool, and to wire a boat you may need several different ones.
I have been able to borrow them for weekends from a proper wiring technician, that makes it much more certain.
But I still make a test piece with a specimen crimp and wire I'm using and do a pull test.

Also note that problems can be down to damaging the strands of wire when stripping.

Amateurs may be better soldering, but I've seen some shameful efforts at that on boats too.

bigwow

Visit site
The small item on the top handle with + and - on is a tension adjustment. Try moving it one notch to the + direction and give it a go on a crimp.

I have the same type of crimper.

Well that's another thing I've learnt today, I've had one of those crimpers for 10yrs and didn't know the pressure was adjustable:rolleyes:

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've also got one like your failure and it's been excellent, never had to adjust it yet. Aquired many years ago when I had to go abroad and do some electrical work on machinery, our electrician got it for me and I forgot to give it back.....

Richard10002

Visit site
Really - I have one that looks identical to your failure and it seems fine after many years. Maybe unlucky.

+1 mine is a Rolson bought from Maplins in 2006 - used loads. If I do a blue crimp, I often crimp it again in the red slot. So far, so good.

Didn't know about the adjustment, and will leave well alone :)

Plevier

Visit site
Really - I have one that looks identical to your failure and it seems fine after many years. Maybe unlucky.

+1 more. Mine is branded KEW and was from an electrical wholesaler 18 years ago, used lots, still good. I'm sure there are cheap ebay lookalikes made of toffee though.

David2452

Visit site
That crimp tool, in addition to being now non functioning is for automotive rubbish hard insulated terminals which IMHO are not very good, as you cannot inspect the crimp and all they do is squash the terminal on to the conductor. If you are going to have to replace in anyway look for an open barrel crimp tool, these properly roll the open ends into what the Septics call an !"ass cheek" and give consistent high contact integrity and pull out strength. Buy the terminals and separate soft covers to suit, they are actually cheaper than the other type. You should be able to find a DIY quality tool for about £40 or £50 as they are now coming more into common use with DIYers. You can get the same range of terminal types as with the horrid blue, red, yellows and a lot more besides. As has been said it is best to match tool and terminal manufacturer, whilst this is really quite important for larger hydraulic crimp dies for battery cables and the like it is less so with these smaller (up to 6mm2) crimps.

boguing

Visit site
Having used a tool like the bottom one for years and learned to do it a) by feel and b) by giving a really ruthless tug on the finished joint, I had pretty good results.

A few years ago I bought one like your first pic. It's good, but adjustment is essential - not optional. This is because you need to apply the 'right' pressure for the size of terminal and the exact size of the wire. Smaller wire, more pressure and vv. Tug test is essential for setting up. All in all, it's a very good tool for loads of crimps on identical wire, but a bit of a hassle for small numbers of joints when the wire is varied.

As David 2452 says, these are not pro quality tools, but they can do a good job when you know the deficiencies.

The tug test, by the way, must be done starting from a 'not tight enough' beginning. Ramp the pressure up only until it passes the test. Any more and damage starts to happen.

whipper_snapper

Visit site
That crimp tool, in addition to being now non functioning is for automotive rubbish hard insulated terminals which IMHO are not very good, as you cannot inspect the crimp and all they do is squash the terminal on to the conductor. If you are going to have to replace in anyway look for an open barrel crimp tool, these properly roll the open ends into what the Septics call an !"ass cheek" and give consistent high contact integrity and pull out strength. Buy the terminals and separate soft covers to suit, they are actually cheaper than the other type. You should be able to find a DIY quality tool for about £40 or £50 as they are now coming more into common use with DIYers. You can get the same range of terminal types as with the horrid blue, red, yellows and a lot more besides. As has been said it is best to match tool and terminal manufacturer, whilst this is really quite important for larger hydraulic crimp dies for battery cables and the like it is less so with these smaller (up to 6mm2) crimps.

Thanks, any pointers to sources of this stuff would be appreciated.

David2452

Visit site
Last edited: